GDT: #75: Islanders at FLYERS, Saturday, March 23, 2019, 1:00 p.m. ET

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
"Six Degrees of Separation: Bullet Bob Hagg and Grand Canyon Gap Control (Or the Total Lack Thereof)" by James Jackson.

ANSxfrB.gif
If you or anyone have made this reference before... I apologize for stealing whoever’s work.

I was reading an article about Hagg and, weirdly enough, an add for a Kevin Bacon came up and I just laughed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Hakstol had suddenly promoted a veteran goalie who was having a poor season and had barely played in the past month and a half, with the Flyers basically needing to win every remaining game to make the playoffs, you would used it as evidence of what a terrible coach he was. :laugh:

We have a 1.7% chance of making the playoffs. Elliott should not get another start.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The genius behind the bench will definitely through Elliott in. He can't help himself
I have seen Talbot play many times over the last couple of years and would def play a healthy Elliot over him . I have seen Talbot shit the bed so many times i can't count .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Hakstol had suddenly promoted a veteran goalie who was having a poor season and had barely played in the past month and a half, with the Flyers basically needing to win every remaining game to make the playoffs, you would used it as evidence of what a terrible coach he was. :laugh:

Although I'd prefer Keefe, I'm looking forward to them hiring Q and within three months, watch the numerous "why the F is he playing so and so over so and so" threads pop up like mushrooms.

Just look at Trotz's personnel decisions on the Islanders, he'd be reamed a new one here as soon as the team lost 3 in a row.
"I can't believe he wanted to sign Filppula and play him 14 minutes a night . . ."

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
0E57139F-51FF-4776-BDB9-DC39A038E4C0.jpeg
Can we stop giving up 35+ shots a game? I thought our D was supposed to improve.

Players are doing what Gordon is telling them to do.

Gordon’s system is trash and is worse with the same players that Hakstol had. The above graphic shows how much they rely on goaltending to get them over the top. Long-term, it’s not a recipe for success.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Why would you hope for Talbot? He's an .894 goalie and has played one and a half games in the last six weeks.

To clarify, I meant over Elliott either this game or next, not in place of Hart.

We need to see what we have in him and if he's worth resigning. The season is over. No reason not to.

Reactions: BernieParent

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
View attachment 203295

Players are doing what Gordon is telling them to do.

Gordon’s system is trash and is worse with the same players that Hakstol had. The above graphic shows how much they rely on goaltending to get them over the top. Long-term, it’s not a recipe for success.

It’s basically Hart and Elliot and little less amac. Gordon is a below average coach

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Whether they resign Elliott, sign Talbot or promote Lyon, at most they're keeping the job warm for Sandstrom or Ersson forn the next two years.

If Hart proves out, he'll get a long-term RFA extension and they'll cycle through young goalie backups for 2-3 years before dealing them for draft picks. Which is why they need to keep drafting goalies, hit on every other one, and you can get a potential 1st or 2nd rd pick after they spend a couple seasons as a backup.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
FU. I watch every game, unlike some fakers here, who take their cues from the Hivemind.

I just couldn't remember the last time he dropped the gloves, it's not been very often the last few years.
In fact, real fights are rare these days, how often has Gudas been in an actual fight (v a scrum with the refs holding everyone back).
He fights and goes nuts when he does. It’s actually awesome. But I think the last one was two years ago against the pens.

I am wrong three years against Colorado

Jakub Voracek

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
He fights and goes nuts when he does. It’s actually awesome. But I think the last one was two years ago against the pens.

Going "nuts" is different than actually winning a fight. I can't recall a time Gudas wasn't a punching bag since he became a Flyer.

In other words, living proof that having a sweet beard doesn't make you a good fighter.

Reactions: onionsack

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
7 fights over 10 years and the last one was 3 years ago.
So of course I'd remember them all. :sarcasm:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Although I'd prefer Keefe, I'm looking forward to them hiring Q and within three months, watch the numerous "why the F is he playing so and so over so and so" threads pop up like mushrooms.

Just look at Trotz's personnel decisions on the Islanders, he'd be reamed a new one here as soon as the team lost 3 in a row.
"I can't believe he wanted to sign Filppula and play him 14 minutes a night . . ."

That's funny, most of us want a better coach so the team will play better, but you're just looking forward to the future coach making mistakes so you can retroactively justify Hakstol's bad decisions?

At least you've admitted you're just here to troll.

Never forget, in the game where he was coaching for his life, Hakstol sat one of the best two-way wingers in the game for a guy who isn't good enough to play for a mediocre AHL team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's funny, most of us want a better coach so the team will play better, but you're just looking forward to the future coach making mistakes so you can retroactively justify Hakstol's bad decisions?

At least you've admitted you're just here to troll.

Never forget, in the game where he was coaching for his life, Hakstol sat one of the best two-way wingers in the game for a guy who isn't good enough to play for a mediocre AHL team.

Every coach benches/demotes young players at times to send a message.
The next coach, especially a veteran HC, is sure to do similar things.
Trotz has done so on the Islanders. I'm sure he did so on the Caps and Preds.

HCs have to manage 20 players over an 82 game season (and hopefully, playoffs), there are times when players are coddled and times when they're spanked. Some coaches are known as disciplinarians, some as "player coaches." Very few are able to maintain a team's attention over the long run - though that's also partially the job of the GM, to provide enough self-motivated players with leadership skills in the clubhouse that the coach doesn't have to spend all his time nurse maiding fragile egos.

HCs have to scheme, motivate, and manage games. Few are good at all three, and even those that are, often have an expiration date.

After watching Lavi fail, Berube take the same players and make the playoffs, Berube fail, Hakstol take the same players and make the playoffs . . . and now watching Berube carry the Blues into the playoffs - you'd think people around here would be a tad more humble in their coaching evaluations - Babcock and Lavi, despite being given talented rosters, may not get out of the first round (3rd time the charm for Babcock).

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
7 fights over 10 years and the last one was 3 years ago.
So of course I'd remember them all. :sarcasm:
Technically two seasons ago. 16-17. But December. But yeah he has. But the team over the last four years has gotten away from being the tough as nails team. That was a hak thing and probably hexy too. They wanted less penalties. For years we always got instigators on almost every fight. The ones we didn’t the other team should have but usually didn’t.

It’s one of the weird things about the team that made me think early this year. Hak kept saying more snot and balls when he preached the opposite early on. It made no sense other than the brass not liking flyer hockey. Want some old school

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Every coach benches/demotes young players at times to send a message.
The next coach, especially a veteran HC, is sure to do similar things.
Trotz has done so on the Islanders. I'm sure he did so on the Caps and Preds.

HCs have to manage 20 players over an 82 game season (and hopefully, playoffs), there are times when players are coddled and times when they're spanked. Some coaches are known as disciplinarians, some as "player coaches." Very few are able to maintain a team's attention over the long run - though that's also partially the job of the GM, to provide enough self-motivated players with leadership skills in the clubhouse that the coach doesn't have to spend all his time nurse maiding fragile egos.

HCs have to scheme, motivate, and manage games. Few are good at all three, and even those that are, often have an expiration date.

After watching Lavi fail, Berube take the same players and make the playoffs, Berube fail, Hakstol take the same players and make the playoffs . . . and now watching Berube carry the Blues into the playoffs - you'd think people around here would be a tad more humble in their coaching evaluations - Babcock and Lavi, despite being given talented rosters, may not get out of the first round (3rd time the charm for Babcock).

Lavi was a good coach here. Got fired cause he wouldn’t adjust his system to the defense he had.

Berube did well on players backs. And changing very little.

Hak was a college coach with a system designed around having less skill and role players. It limited shots against. And promoted shots from points at 5v5. Not a great recipe for success in modern nhl. He would use vets like seniors. They earn the right and are bigger than the young skilled guys on other teams. Not true for the nhl.

Gordon system is bad. Really bad. And the goalies help. But other players are playing better too. His system is a turn over machine. He doesn’t care about being out shot. But when we gain possession we do better with less 5v5 point shots. Again not a great modern nhl system. That lets the kids play smart.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Going "nuts" is different than actually winning a fight. I can't recall a time Gudas wasn't a punching bag since he became a Flyer.

In other words, living proof that having a sweet beard doesn't make you a good fighter.

Never commented on good or bad. And I was talking about voracek not gudas. Just was showing that he fights. And it’s entertaining. Mostly because he has to be really pissed.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don't want to lose to the Islanders but we need to drop out of this race so we can start looking at Morin and Farabee.

Reactions: dag54

dag54

Aug 3, 2005
I don't want to lose to the Islanders but we need to drop out of this race so we can start looking at Morin and Farabee.
I'd be really pissed if they were officially eliminated after their last game of the season, delaying Morin's return until September. Hopefully that doesn't happen, and Morin gets into 2-4 games before the season ends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad