Post-Game Talk: #74 | FLYERS 4 at Red Wings 5 (1-0 shootout) | Tue., Mar. 20, 2018, 7:30 pm ET

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Ghost sometimes gets that same tunnel vision. Our pp is real easy. Get it to giroux and get open for a one timer. That is literally all we have to do

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Provorov just isn’t good on the PP at this point because of him not his usage. He gets tunnel vision towards the net too much. They should in all honestly pull him off it if anything.

He’s not a better than Gostisbehere nor is he even over Voracek despite the complaints. So his role shouldn’t increase.

You don't see that deception that you get from guys like Ghost. Streit and Timonen were good at it too. He isn't fooling PKers.

Maybe it comes with time, maybe it doesn't.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
if he had more time he'd improve.....and I'd put him on the right side to boot

guess we might see this next year, I HOPE

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Yep. Fixing the mistakes of the previous guy is the easy part. Fixing your own shortcomings is where it's tricky.
Fixing the mistakes of the previous guy was most certainly not easy, in the way that he fixed them (ahead of time just lapsing).

I so tire of hearing from the internet GMs here about how Hextall is doing a bad job (this is not at you Beef). The statement is essentially the same Blah blah blah, we are not winning and we have been trying for 4 years now.

I've asked before, and I'll ask again. POST your solutions internet GMs!

I argue, he's done a great job so far. He's shed unsheddable contracts. Aquired addtional picks for some players (example Rinaldo), and a nice haul for a good, but non core Schenn with a minor cap inconvenience in return.

Free Agency is dead! We have no competitive advantage in being a high spending team anymore. Aside from that, there is SO little value in most UFAs now. VERY few actually end up being worth the inflated deals they end up signing.

The only way to acquire young talent is to either draft it, or trade for it, but you need assets to trade back. We had nearly nothing when Hex took over, now we have arguably one of the BEST prospect pools around.

For reference, DET has been a middling declining team for a few years now, they SHOULD be in the midst of having a top prospect pool. Instead, IMO they are looking like they are not coming out of full rebuild mode anytime soon. Montreal is the same. Our org is NOWHERE near this bad.

Reactions: renberg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Fixing the mistakes of the previous guy was most certainly not easy, in the way that he fixed them (ahead of time just lapsing).

I so tire of hearing from the internet GMs here about how Hextall is doing a bad job (this is not at you Beef). The statement is essentially the same Blah blah blah, we are not winning and we have been trying for 4 years now.

I argue, he's done a great job so far. He's shed unsheddable contracts. Aquired addtional picks for some players (example Rinaldo), and a nice haul for a good, but non core Schenn with a minor cap inconvenience in return.

Free Agency is dead! We have no competitive advantage in being a high spending team anymore. Aside from that, there is SO little value in most UFAs now. VERY few actually end up being worth the inflated deals they end up signing.

The only way to acquire young talent is to either draft it, or trade for it, but you need assets to trade back. We had nearly nothing when Hex took over, now we have arguably one of the BEST prospect pools around.

For reference, DET has been a middling declining team for a few years now, they SHOULD be in the midst of having a top prospect pool. Instead, IMO they are looking like they are not coming out of full rebuild mode anytime soon. Montreal is the same. Our org is NOWHERE near this bad.

I mean "easy" in a relative sense. In that it's often easier to see what someone else is doing that isn't working, and correct it, than it is to see solutions to the issues you've created yourself. It seems way more apparent with coaches. Even Berube did it; one of the major failures with Lavy was that his breakout stopped working, and the biggest breath of fresh air that Berube brought was transition that relied more on horizontal passes rather than just trying to force it up the walls over and over and over.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

But the frustration is real. Look at Wayne Simmonds. He could be entering his 8th year as a Flyer next year, and we have wasted all those good contract years.

But I don't blame Hextall. We were flawed and had to fix it and it takes time. Hextall is creating a deep prospect base to go on a long cup run. But he will also have to make some tough decisions ahead to get us there. That's where we his true worth...good or bad.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
But the frustration is real. Look at Wayne Simmonds. He could be entering his 8th year as a Flyer next year, and we have wasted all those good contract years.

But I don't blame Hextall. We were flawed and had to fix it and it takes time. Hextall is creating a deep prospect base to go on a long cup run. But he will also have to make some tough decisions ahead to get us there. That's where we his true worth...good or bad.
Sucks to waste Simmonds cap, but what choice did we really have. Hard to be really "frustrated" when there was nothing you could do about it.

Lets worry about the moves Hextall is making 2 years from now in 2 years. Based on CURRENT track record he's been great.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He wasn't particularly good at it in ways that screamed NHL PP QB in Juniors either. Improvement may come, but it's not likely he'll get THAT much better there.

I would try moving Provorov to the Voracek spot, and using Sanheim as the QB.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Yep. Go back to the 2013-14 roster and play the game, where are they now?
Schenn - 1C in St Louis
Coburn - 3rd pair D-man
L Schenn - 3rd pair D-man
Hartnell - bought out by CBJ
Mason - playing like he's already retired
Streit - retired
Vinnie - retired
Kimmo - retired
Meszaros - retired
Downie - retired
Grossman - retired
Gustaffson - Europe
Hall - retired
McGinn - retired
Rinaldo - should be retired
Rosehill - retired
Talbot - retired

Players still on the Flyers: Giroux, Voracek, Couts, Simmonds, Raffl, MacDonald

Farm system:
Ghost, Laughton, Hagg, Leier, Goul [Morin] [Stolarz] (Cousins, Madsen - traded)

So basically he's lost ONE player who could provide a significant contribution to this team (Schenn), and two scrub D-men.
He inherited a farm system that in four years has produced one solid starter, and maybe one more next year in Morin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->