OT: 73rd Obsequious Banter Thread: The Thread With No Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
All right wise counsel of HF Flyers. Arguing with my friend who is a Dolphins fan. He says he is also a fan of the Cowboys and the Raiders. Is it permitted to be a fan of multiple teams in the same sport? Personally I think that's not right.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
All right wise counsel of HF Flyers. Arguing with my friend who is a Dolphins fan. He says he is also a fan of the Cowboys and the Raiders. Is it permitted to be a fan of multiple teams in the same sport? Personally I think that's not right.

You can be a fan of multiple teams - I am, or have been, in every sport - but you have to have a clear #1. For example, I have a ton of college basketball teams that I love, but I never, ever, ever root against Louisville. That's my team. Once they are out in the tournament, I still have rooting interest in DePaul (remember, this is a theoretical situation), Georgia Tech, Temple, Duke, Oklahoma, Michigan, Memphis State or whatever it is called now, Nova, etc. In hockey, it used to be MUCH better to root for the Wings when Stevie Y was playing, but they were and are my clear #2.

But in baseball, I have never been able to decide between the Tigers and Red Sox, because I feel exactly the same about them, so I just consider myself a casual. Same with college football - Florida State, Notre Dame and Michigan are the same to me, so I'm just a casual, terrible college football fan.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
You are allowed to be a "fan" of 2 teams, one of each conference. You may only be a die hard fan of one of these teams. When both of these teams play each other, you should be rooting for your diehard team as hard as every other game. I've always liked the Blues out west, mostly because of Pietrangelo. But when the Flyers play them, I'd still (appropriately) throw a shoe at the wall if needed.

If you actively root for more than one team with equal strengths, you're a p***y.
If you consider more than one team your "favorite team", you're a p***y.
If you have a diehard team but also consider yourself a fan of 2 or more "other" teams, you're a p***y.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

Hockey related to a degree.

But this tourist info sign made me break out laughing in the centre of Ostrava.

"Lets go to the slagheap today kids.... yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

I never expected to see Halda Ema on HFboards. Ever.

Anyway. Its a weirdass attraction based on the mining past (and recent days) of the town. If you are actually into mining/industrious sightseeing (as weird as that sounds), Landek is an interesting place to see mining museum / Dolní Oblast Vítkovice is an industrial suburbs that has a Verne-like feel. I love that place (Vítkovice)

Halda Ema is basically just a big f***ing hill of mined up stuff. It is still "on fire" inside!
I have never been there (Ema) but my grandad used to be a miner in Ostrava. I believe one of the mines he worked at was the Stalin mine (also called Red October mine at times). Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Appleyard

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
You can be a fan of multiple teams - I am, or have been, in every sport - but you have to have a clear #1. For example, I have a ton of college basketball teams that I love, but I never, ever, ever root against Louisville. That's my team. Once they are out in the tournament, I still have rooting interest in DePaul (remember, this is a theoretical situation), Georgia Tech, Temple, Duke, Oklahoma, Michigan, Memphis State or whatever it is called now, Nova, etc. In hockey, it used to be MUCH better to root for the Wings when Stevie Y was playing, but they were and are my clear #2.

But in baseball, I have never been able to decide between the Tigers and Red Sox, because I feel exactly the same about them, so I just consider myself a casual. Same with college football - Florida State, Notre Dame and Michigan are the same to me, so I'm just a casual, terrible college football fan.
With how many teams there are in college sports I'd consider that fine. Like you said as long there's a clear number one with considerable distance between your favorite and your "others"

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I never expected to see Halda Ema on HFboards. Ever.

Anyway. Its a weirdass attraction based on the mining past (and recent days) of the town. If you are actually into mining/industrious sightseeing (as weird as that sounds), Landek is an interesting place to see mining museum / Dolní Oblast Vítkovice is an industrial suburbs that has a Verne-like feel. I love that place (Vítkovice)

Halda Ema is basically just a big ****ing hill of mined up stuff. It is still "on fire" inside!
I have never been there (Ema) but my grandad used to be a miner in Ostrava. I believe one of the mines he worked at was the Stalin mine (also called Red October mine at times). Lol.

I actually have a friend from Ostrava (who is living in Spain now and did not come home for Christmas!) who recommended I go there as it is pretty cool and a decent hike... but it still made me laugh to see "Slag heap" on a tourist board.

I want to go to the museum... but finding time to do anything is difficult. Should have more time after the 1st... 2nd, 3rd, 4th should be a but more relaxed as by then should have every interview I need (9 in total... 5 already done.)

Reactions: kudymen

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
You can only be a fan of one team per sport.
I will allow fair weather fandom of one other team. It does not effect me when the Blues lose, nor should it. If more than one team makes you feel pissed when they lose, you're a p***y.

Reactions: Amorgus

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
You can only be a fan of one team per sport.
You can be a casual fan of one other team within the sport but it cannot be from your division.
That team can change year to year but should not be based off of bandwagon success and cannot be a rival of any sort.

Reactions: Amorgus

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I however am very easily sold on other players which makes it easier for me to not hate other teams. For example, I have shirtseys of Pietrangelo, OEL, Datsyuk, McDavid, Rinne, and Laine. Since I like those some of those teams' best/better players, I have a bit of a soft spot for some of them. That being said, my life is not affected in the slightest by any of those teams losing- even the Blues, who I have considered my "second" for some time now. Please note they're mostly Western teams.

But that's also my thing- I like wearing "hockey" apparel, not just Flyers stuff. I also have a Francis Whalers shirt, a Nordiques Peter Stastny shirt, and a non-player old school Canucks "pond logo" shirt. Since I like some teams' best/better players, I have a bit of a soft spot for them.

I have no other "second teams" in other sports. There are teams that I will want to win based on certain offseason transactions or whatnot, like the Browns this past year for example. But I ended up laughing at them along with everyone else. Similarly, now that the Angels picked up Tony Rendony, I'd like to see them (read also: Trout) win and at least make the playoffs. I'm also a big Lebron fan and root for him wherever he goes, even the Lakers. Unless of course if the Sixers are playing.

I do have a Mariano Rivera shirt too.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I will allow fair weather fandom of one other team. It does not effect me when the Blues lose, nor should it. If more than one team makes you feel pissed when they lose, you're a *****.
You can be a casual fan of one other team within the sport but it cannot be from your division.
That team can change year to year but should not be based off of bandwagon success and cannot be a rival of any sort.
Nah. One team per sport and thats final.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
For hockey I have one team that I actually care about, then one team that I'll lean towards once the Flyers are out (Avs), then after that it's just about who I hate less in each game.

Reactions: Defect

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I don’t think it’s a problem to watch another team/hope another team wins. If you’re a fan of multiple teams you’re a cheater though.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I don’t think it’s a problem to watch another team/hope another team wins. If you’re a fan of multiple teams you’re a cheater though.
I think you’re using the word fan a little too hard. It seems like most people are using it as “I like this team but it’s not my favorite team”. If I hope a team that is not a divisional rival or any rival for that matter wins a game that does not impact the stands of my favorite team, why can’t I root for them?

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

Exactly!!

Hockey is the one exception though at least for me. Love the Flyers, f*** the rest of the NHL. In other sports, I’m a Philly fan, but I have a 2nd and sometimes a 3rd team I like.

NFL
Raiders: they were like a biker gang playing football in the 70s and this kid thought they were cool

Jaguars: gotta throw my local team a little love. Lord knows, those poor f***ers need it.

MLB:
Oakland: Hey, they originally played in Philly. That and Rollie Fingers mustache sealed the deal

NBA:
No one, hell, I barely watch the Sixers

College Football
My top team is Penn State, but I also like the Florida Gators

College basketball
I went to Temple so they’re my number one, but I also dig Nova. Jay Wright is a great coach and a great guy too.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

giphy.webp

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014

Sure, why not?

I'm an Eagles fan first, Cowboys fan second. I always want the Eagles to do better than the Cowboys, but I also want the Cowboys to do better than every other team after that.

Those 90's Cowboys were the first NFL teams I ever watched as a kid so a bit of that is nostalgic; but the Eagles were always close to my heart then as well. My best friend at the time was a big Cowboys fan and introduced me to the game. Naturally, I wanted to be like him.

He is now a diehard Eagles fan.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Sure, why not?

I'm an Eagles fan first, Cowboys fan second. I always want the Eagles to do better than the Cowboys, but I also want the Cowboys to do better than every other team after that.

Those 90's Cowboys were the first NFL teams I ever watched as a kid so a bit of that is nostalgic; but the Eagles were always close to my heart then as well. My best friend at the time was a big Cowboys fan and introduced me to the game. Naturally, I wanted to be like him.

He is now a diehard Eagles fan.

giphy.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad