Post-Game Talk: #73 | Capitals 3 at FLYERS 6 | Sun., Mar. 18, 2018, 5:00 pm ET

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I know, I totally agree with you and have been watching this train wreck all along - it's just disgusting that it has been that way - when you consider how terrible we have been at bringing goalies through, the fact that we have been even worse at bringing D-men through ... it just makes me sick.

It's never something I'd ever given a thought to, because we'd been so good at bringing in top-notch D talent forever. Then we stopped doing that, and the failures became really glaring. But now we are spawning our own! So that's neato!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Does Hart need a full year in the AHL?

I’m not so sure.

His performance has been so far beyond his competition that he may be NHL-ready now.

He is going to need some seasoning. A full year in the Ahl and hopefully 2. I say hopefully because Stolarz may allow us to not rush Hart. I am very high on stolarz, injuries have kind of zapped his hype but this kid is 6'6' and a hell of an athlete.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
He is going to need some seasoning. A full year in the Ahl and hopefully 2. I say hopefully because Stolarz may allow us to not rush Hart. I am very high on stolarz, injuries have kind of zapped his hype but this kid is 6'6' and a hell of an athlete.
I really wish he had been healthy thru this stretch...would have been huge all the way around.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I am rooting for Stolarz, too, though he only has to be the bridge, hopefully, to another level of great prospect.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Looking at top flight dmen, we only had Watson, up until the modern day Ghost, Provy, and Sanheim (if he pans out, and he should). joined the club. That was all. We got the rest via trade.

For goalies groomed at home who made it, we had Lindbergh, Hextall, Boucher (half/half there), Cechmanek, and Bobrovsky. Our best dmen had all come from outside the organization since the 70s. Making it more generous and including Pitkanen, we had the 2 dmen and several goalies; If you really wanna be generous I suppose you can count Therien too, but the fact remains the same; for all our issues with making a goalie, we sure were worse at making dmen. We were at least good at acquiring outside talent at D, though. Like, really really good at it. Howe/McCrimmon, Desjardins, Timonen (as well as Carle and Coburn), Pronger, all came from outside.

Im tempted to include Joni "Booger" Pitkanen

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Playing them would give the Flyers their best chance of winning a series.

Tampa, Boston, Pit or CBJ would be very tough match ups.

I think we could beat Columbus too (their winning streak is similar to our previous one in that they have a soft schedule and their games against good teams could have easily been losses), but i'm more confident against Washington.

The other 3 would cruise past us in 6.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The real problem has been impatience, and Snider was the primary villain.

Seidenberg, late bloomer, trade for meh
Williams, trade for Markov, who played half a season
Sharp, trade for 3rd rd pick.
JVR, dumped for L Schenn.

The Pronger deal was different, elite player who if he hadn't been injured, might have deliver a cup.
But too many draft picks and prospects traded to win now ensured "win never."

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, but that just shows how impatient most teams are when it comes to player development.
I think Hoffman spent 3 years in the AHL, now people want to trade a 1st rd pick for him.
Flyers never gave Sharp a chance.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Had the game recorded and watched it last night. Very nice win.

Simmer seems to be rounding into form at the right time.

Mrazek looked good, especially early.

Great to see Oskar break through after playing a really solid all-around game since his call-up (56.18 CF% at even strength to lead the team).

I was sorta worried for TK when this one started, but he did a good job holding his own.

933771820_slide.jpg

Man, Couts can't buy a goal right now. He might want to try that new pork chopper. Or he could try the new shot I just invented. Instead of shooting from the front of the stick blade, you shoot from it's backside. I know it sounds crazy, but it works. I call it the "Butt Slapper" ™ :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->