Post-Game Talk: #73: Canadiens at FLYERS, Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Well they sure as hell didn't try to skill their way out of this one.

Price is one of the better puck handling goalies in the league. He can reduce chances from the forecheck by collecting dump-ins for his defenders. Also, to their credit, the Canadiens did a good job of tying up sticks and keeping play to the outside.

The way to counter this style of defense is to allow the forwards to try to attempt controlled entries. That hasn't been a thing in Flyers hockey for a while now. Really painful to watch endless dump and chasing.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
i'm guessing alot of the mixed lines was because of the flu. sanheim looked like he had trouble skating,along with a few others. they looked sluggish. amac backing up into hart, bumping and then screening him on the first goal, was a real treat to watch. another year of, wait until next year.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Simmonds vs. Schenn in the first round of the playoffs? They just can't get away from each other.

Reactions: kelmitchell

BudEagle

Nov 9, 2013
New Jersey
Did you see that M&M lookin' guy give Taryn a wink as she glared at him as he reached across her chest holding a microphone during the Gudas interview?

Reactions: tymed

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The team definitely looked sluggish, but Montreal played a strong defensive game as well.
The kid defensemen are a year or two away, they're 2 lines deep with a makeshift bottom six.
With Hart in goal, they're not a bad team, but not a top eight time quite yet.
Hagg and AMac didn't lose this game, nor did Varone or Knight. The players who matter didn't come through.

They're where you'd expect them to be in year five of a rebuild. The team is on the right track. But not there yet.

Stop blaming the coaches, Lavi couldn't win, Berube couldn't sustain, Hakstol couldn't sustain, Gordon, well . . .
It's the talent, they're just starting to fill out a NHL roster. This year we've seen flashes of what is coming in the near future.
Myers is up, Morin will get his cameo, but Frost isn't available, Farabee? Alllison? Laczynski?
It takes time, next year they'll be deeper even before Fletcher makes any moves, if he doesn't screw it up, they should be a juggernaut by 2021-22.

Now it's time to play Morin, call up a couple AHL guys and send Varone and Knight down to try and get them into the playoffs.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Didn't get to see this one. Team must just be worn down and sick from running on full tilt since January. At least hopefully they'll stop talking about still being in it and give Talbot a few starts.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
That was a boring game until the power play. So little jam. Looked like two teams running out the last leg of the season, albeit Montreal performing better.

What it really appeared to me was that the Flyers are tired. Running hot for so long, in a necessary environment- hard to burn the candle at both ends and keep sufficient light for long.

First time in a while i fell asleep on the game (i might be sick, f***ing toddler is exhausting, i dunno.) Win or lose, the Flyers have been entertaining lately. Not so muh this game. It seemed appropriate the team came out flat on fan appreciation night.

For the record, Lindblom screwed the pooch not clearing the puck for the first goal against, i was asleep for the 2nd. Hart played a strong game, he's so sound, but he's only a man. Not a lot of testers for Price. Good on Coots making it to 30. 9 games left to make it to 40. AMac wasn't the reason we lost, that's the nicest thing I can say about that.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
This season started with Hakstol and Hextall, and it now will end with Gordo and his mismatched collection of mediocre assistant coaches, and Minnesota's former GM in charge.
This team played better in the second half of the season, but the first half of the season killed any possibilities of this squad making a playoff run.
I'm very glad that the Hacksol experiment finally ended, and I am really happy that Hextall was fired. Hextall drafted some potentially decent players, but his worst trade ever was the one that sent Braydon Schenn to the Blues for, Jori Lehtera and two draft picks who may eventually make it to the NHL, but who knows when it'll happen. I know everyone here loves Frost, but wasn't he recently given a long suspension from his league for cross-checking a player in the head (that's not a great thing to include in your pre-NHL resume, the refs will be watching him like a hawk).
Hextall should have been fired after the Schenn trade, too bad it took so long!

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
This season started with Hakstol and Hextall, and it now will end with Gordo and his mismatched collection of mediocre assistant coaches, and Minnesota's former GM in charge.
This team played better in the second half of the season, but the first half of the season killed any possibilities of this squad making a playoff run.
I'm very glad that the Hacksol experiment finally ended, and I am really happy that Hextall was fired. Hextall drafted some potentially decent players, but his worst trade ever was the one that sent Braydon Schenn to the Blues for, Jori Lehtera and two draft picks who may eventually make it to the NHL, but who knows when it'll happen. I know everyone here loves Frost, but wasn't he recently given a long suspension from his league for cross-checking a player in the head (that's not a great thing to include in your pre-NHL resume, the refs will be watching him like a hawk).
Hextall should have been fired after the Schenn trade, too bad it took so long!

The Schenn trade was great, it was his refusal to waive Lehtera that made it horrible.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Caught up, i'm 100% certain none of you bozos are NHL coaches, and thus can't recognize the strategoc advantage of having Gudas on the ice during the empty net situation.

What other current Flyer has as many goals scored from outside the blueline as Gudas? Effectively, the Flyers expanded the potential scoring area beyond the expected offensive zone. Also, everyone knows Gudas loves to shoot, has never passed up a takable shot, evar. So, in a game where the team has continuously overpassed Gordon put a guy on the ice whom he knows will take a f***ing shot on net. How can the Flyers score if they never shoot?

I mean really guys, use your brains.
#ObviousHeelTurn

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This team is the worst. This season is the worst.

Such a big game and they came out like that. The problem is, THAT is how this flyer team always comes out in big games. Flat. They rely too much on the comeback so I’m glad this season will end in nothing and they will be evaluated that they are not a good enough group that will need changes. They have been the comeback team since lavy and that 2010 season that they clinched on the last game of the year. They need to know that’s not how it’s done, it’s helpful to have but it’s not how you are successful. I’m sick and tired of the same shit.

As far as this game...why not get to the center of the ice? It’s not like they can stop you. Just get there and wait for the tips or redirects. It’s a simple game plan. We did nothing like that and were so ineffective. Also, not that it’s his fault, but without Patrick playing well we aren’t going to be successful as we are just a 1 line team then. Couts can only do so much. Patrick needs to be a go to player next year or we are not even a playoff team again.

f*** them all.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Hextall drafted some potentially decent players, but his worst trade ever was the one that sent Braydon Schenn to the Blues for, Jori Lehtera and two draft picks who may eventually make it to the NHL, but who knows when it'll happen.

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->