Post-Game Talk: #73| Boston Bruins @ New York Islanders | March 19th | 7:00 PM | F/L 5-0

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
PS Magic # is still 11 with 9 games left. 5-3-1 gets us in even if the 9th seed goes undefeated. No need to panic. Fingers crossed Penguins fall off a bit because I think that's the scariest 1st round matchup.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I was there too. Completely agree it was one of the worst games I've ever seen live. With that, I had a bad feeling before the game started, but after surviving the first down only 1-0 I thought they may be able to respond. After Martin fought and the following 5 minutes the rest of the team had absolutely ZERO emotional response and the 2nd was looking exactly like the first, then I knew it was over.
After Martin went with Chara to start the 2nd, the team started moving their legs and showed some life, then Clutterbuck gave it away in front of Lehner and it looked like the team quit right there.

Reactions: nyisles

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
BOS is too good for us. They run a skim at system to us and are better at it. One of the better teams I think the isles have played this yr. Glad we won’t see them till the conference finals. Maybe.

Reactions: CupHolders

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
After Martin went with Chara to start the 2nd, the team started moving their legs and showed some life, then Clutterbuck gave it away in front of Lehner and it looked like the team quit right there.

Didn’t like the timing. Why didn’t he wait to see how the second started? I didn’t think there was much of a response from the isles to that fight.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Loved Marty doing what he had to do. Shame on Clutter for spoiling it but whatever. I just want to get to the next game.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Martin's fighting style is the worst possible matchup for fighting Chara. Martin hangs back and trades punches while trying to lock out the other guy's right arm. Chara just waited and used his reach to make him look silly and tag him once or twice.

Kudos to Matty for giving it a run but a staged fight with Chara is not going to end well for him. Maybe in the heat of the moment which would allow him to get close in he could make some hay, but that was an uphill battle to say the least.

Kudos to Big Z for agreeing to the fight. Didn't really have much to gain there but it was ultimately a show of respect to Matty that he agreed to drop him. Kind of awkward in the timing and how it played out, but two guys who ultimately play the game the right way. The least amount of anger I've seen in a fight in a while. At least if we had Ross in there, he fights angry.

Reactions: weinsink

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Boston is just a bad matchup for Isles. I believe Isles are 12-5-2 against the rest of the Eastern playoff teams. So no reason to panic.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
I stopped watching after that goal, the game was already looking like a shitshow and that put it away for me. Lehner looked rusty and the rest of the team was a disorganized mess. They weren't even close to the disciplined, patient group we've seen for most of the season.

Didn't have high hopes for the game since they just can't seem to beat Boston, but wasn't expecting that atrocity. Burn the tape and have a strong rebound against MTL.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I stopped watching after that goal, the game was already looking like a ****show and that put it away for me. Lehner looked rusty and the rest of the team was a disorganized mess. They weren't even close to the disciplined, patient group we've seen for most of the season.

Didn't have high hopes for the game since they just can't seem to beat Boston, but wasn't expecting that atrocity. Burn the tape and have a strong rebound against MTL.
The only positive I could manage to find was that Lehner actually didn’t play badly after the first goal. Figured he’s have some rust on him but he played better than I expected.

Reactions: CBG

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
We Got
giphy.gif

Last night wow!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I would say that I'm glad we got blown out as it would be a wake up call to the team, getting embarrassed like that. But goal differential may actually come in to play, as unlikely as that is, so the -5 we took last night could possibly end up costing us the division. Usually its "just one game". Last night may have more consequences than that.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
BOS is too good for us. They run a skim at system to us and are better at it. One of the better teams I think the isles have played this yr. Glad we won’t see them till the conference finals. Maybe.

This is kind of why I feel like we're such a a bad matchup with Boston. I think a lot of the things we've done this year to be suiccessful are very similar to how Boston succeeds, expect they're just better at it with more consistency. They beat us at our own game.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This is kind of why I feel like we're such a a bad matchup with Boston. I think a lot of the things we've done this year to be suiccessful are very similar to how Boston succeeds, expect they're just better at it with more consistency. They beat us at our own game.

Yep, and they're bigger, faster, and more skilled. When our forwards, all of them, were forechecking it became very apparent how small we are up front. It's a real problem going against a team like Boston who are big and play that way.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I wouldn't quite throw in the towel on this season. They didn't show up and got schooled by a superior team. Doesn't mean they can't steal a round in the playoffs. Just like we shouldn't plan the Cup parade after beating a good team, let's put this one in context.

No reason to think we can't steal a round in the playoffs, none at all. And seeing the playoffs will be good for this team. Though it really shows why some of us think it's not the time to go all in and that the team is still not a serious contender for the Cup.

Reactions: doublechili

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Ass-whoopin'!

They beat us in every way imaginable, and barely even needed to try.

If we face them along the way again, then Trotz and co. will be HEAVILY challenged to tweak things so as to find weaknesses.

This said, you kind of make your own luck and we haven't really been able to buy bounce in recent games.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
No reason to think we can't steal a round in the playoffs, none at all. And seeing the playoffs will be good for this team. Though it really shows why some of us think it's not the time to go all in and that the team is still not a serious contender for the Cup.
Totally agree. None of the players available at the deadline would've put us over the top.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
By the way, I recently asked the following somewhere on these threads...

Do you feel the Islanders will score even 20 goals over the last 10 games?

I suggested that they wouldn't...

I don't remember any other answers though...:sarcasm:

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I remember reading that. I also remember specifically not answering because it was kind of a sad realization. If you had to put money on the o/u for 20 goals, you have to go under.

This season is really gravy to me so I'm not sweating it too much but it would be nice if we could up our scoring ability a bit.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yep. I view this as an automatic loss. Hope I'm wrong, but if the team completely ****s the bed tonight I won't be surprised...and honestly, won't care much since I knew it was coming.

It's weird how right this was. :help:

CBG

Jan 7, 2018

As of right now it appears that 20 might have been too high, bet the under. This team just cannot score goals its amazing.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada

I felt Clutterbuck's giveaway might have to do something with the ice last night, based on the highlights.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I felt Clutterbuck's giveaway might have to do something with the ice last night, based on the highlights.
The Bruins certainly weren’t affected by the ice. Then again if the ice was bad the B’s might have won 8-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad