Post-Game Talk: #73| Boston Bruins @ New York Islanders | March 19th | 7:00 PM | F/L 5-0

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
Pretty sure 90% of us predicted this to be a loss. I didn’t expect it to be this bad but I had little hopes of a win. Boston has our number. Plain and simple. They own us. They controlled the game. Predicted our passes and pretty much gave us nothing at all. 13 shots is awful. Lehner looked shaky. It’s only a 7 point difference from a final playoff spot. We need to beat Montreal next game.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
team lacks skill and it was on display tonight, what is the point in even making the playoffs if there is no way you are going to beat the top teams that are in it

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
That was embarassing. Can’t do anything about the fact that the Bruins are more talented than us but you can always be tough to play against. I think the effort was disgraceful tonight. We checked out at 2-0. No excuse for getting trucked in your own building.

At this point, It almost seems as if the Isles lack the confidence that they can score more than two goals in a game.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
team lacks skill and it was on display tonight, what is the point in even making the playoffs if there is no way you are going to beat the top teams that are in it

I suppose to learn how to beat the top teams. Most teams go through the crucible of losing before gaining the experience of how to win.

While the Isles are not a high end talented team, they do have some core pieces that would benefit from the playoffs. Barzal and all of their younger d-men.

Maybe a player like Beauvillier finds his game in the playoffs and takes the next step.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This team has had problems all season on the 3rd game in 4 nights. I’m not sure they’ve won one time in that situation

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Not surprised by the outcome, hope everyone is healthy for the next one.

Having said that, I hope Lou is paying attention to games like these and makes proper adjustments this summer.

On a side note, you gotta love Chara...

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Keep making excuses. A team doing better than expected is not an excuse for not showing up to play every game. Teams lose all the time, but this team has had far too many no-shows.

They were overplayed by a much better team. It doesn't mean they didn't show up, it means the Bruins have a really, really good lineup.

And actually, this team didn't have too many no-shows this whole season - they're usually there and ready to go. Like... Just because they lose, it doesn't mean they "didn't show up" - sometimes you lose because the other team is better. And if it wasn't evident that this team doesn't have enough high end talent to win against everyone then... Yeah, I don't even know. Try enjoying what we have and don't be angry about what we can't have?

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I will say that Chara agreeing to fight Martin shows the level of respect they have for one another. Martin cashed in a favor. Chara is just an absolute monster, especially when he's doing a staged fight and can get set. Really appreciate him agreeing to the fight.

IveI never seen Lee skate as fast as he did at the end of the first to beat out McAvoy.

As for the rest? Throw it away and start fresh tomorrow.

Lord, I thought Martin was crazy for doing that, but I agree, Chara doing that was a nice touch. In general I felt like, even with the score, Bruins showed a lot of respect in the way they were playing - they went for it not planning on an easy night. And damn, their team is filthy good.

Also, I liked the short tribute video for Halak and the ovation from the fans. For all the good old times he helped us crush the Rangers :D

Last edited:

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Lord, I thought Martin was crazy for doing that, but I agree, Chara doing that was a nice touch. In general I felt like, even with the score, Bruins showed a lot of respect in the way they were playing - they went for it not planning on an easy night. And damn, their team is filthy good.

Also, I liked the short tribute video for Halak and the ovation from the fans. For all the good old times he helped us crash the Rangers :D
The Halak tribute was great, he earned it.
Plus, it shows Isles fans aren't all that bad...

Reactions: MarsTBOW and MJF

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Team is wearing down one way or the other. They didn’t have the horses to begin w, now the depth is thinning out.

Skipped this one as I imagined not the best outcome; glad I did.

Don’t want to see them take any nights off down the stretch and through those first 7 playoff games.

LGI!

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
This team has been handed every chance to win a division title and has done everything in their power to just give it away and hand it back.
So who handed this team the chance to win the division? I thought this exact team played on the level to be first in the division in mid march. Noone handed them anything. They played great for 5 months, to be able to be where they are now.

Last edited:

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Worst game of the season. Hopefully this works as wake-up call, since we have been trending down for couple of weeks now. There is still time to turn it around, but Trotz will have to pull all kinds of rabbits out of his sleeve.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
What do you mean? The awful, classless Islanders fans, giving a standing ovation to Halak... How dare they. No wonder the team lost, when their fans are behaving this way :sarcasm:

Wasnt thrilled with the fans “let’s go Bruins” chant. This team is not a steaming pile of sh t.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Team is wearing down one way or the other. They didn’t have the horses to begin w, now the depth is thinning out.

Skipped this one as I imagined not the best outcome; glad I did.

Don’t want to see them take any nights off down the stretch and through those first 7 playoff games.

LGI!

Just Google the fight. Everything else is trash.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
1. That was the ugliest game I've ever seen in person. You knew it was over 5 minutes into the game.

2. They lack the high end talent to take it tot he next level. Panarin/Duchene are necessities next year.

3. Boston is scary good. They are going to knock out Toronto in 5 or 6 games and I wouldn't be surprised if their brand of hockey knocks off Tampa.

4. I miss Chara

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I wouldn't quite throw in the towel on this season. They didn't show up and got schooled by a superior team. Doesn't mean they can't steal a round in the playoffs. Just like we shouldn't plan the Cup parade after beating a good team, let's put this one in context.

Reactions: Instant

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
He assembled a roster that is in second place. I guess that's nothing these days.
Yep, according to some on here, the team is in second place despite having both a poor roster and never showing up for games against better teams. I mean, you'd think if we had a poor roster, having a strong record over the season would show that the team has been showing up for the vast majority of the games against better teams with better rosters. Or if you think the team has won this consistently over the season despite not regularly not showing up, then we must have a pretty talented roster. But nope, it's clearly both.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I wouldn't quite throw in the towel on this season. They didn't show up and got schooled by a superior team. Doesn't mean they can't steal a round in the playoffs. Just like we shouldn't plan the Cup parade after beating a good team, let's put this one in context.
Didn't read the thread but is that what people are doing? Typical...

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Thoughts:

1. Worst played game of the year. Bruins outhustled us and outbattled us for all of the loase pucks and left no lanes open in the neutral zone to get any offensive push going. We had absolutely no answer and were schooled.

2. Somewhat of a silver lining, but I think Ladd and Hickey both played atorciously enough to get Dal Colle and Boychuk back into the lineup for our next game. Witht hat, injuries may lead them to playing anyway.

3. Beauvillier looks absolutely lost. I think every time he touches the puck in the last few games he makes the wrong decision with it. I am absolutely fine with him riding the pine for a few to strsighten him out. With that, see above for why he probably won't come out.

4. Hopefully the Org does the right thing with the C position. If Filppula is week-to-week or worse, I see no excuse for not giving Koivula a look. He's having a great season in Bridgeport. I understand playing Bailey or Komarov at C if Filppula is gonna be out 1-2 games, but any more and we need to start think about our plan for the playoffs.

5. Hopefully Clutterbuck injury is not too serious as well, but once again, if you're looking at 1-2 games you go with Johnston in there or Kuhnackl. If he is week-to-week, enough of the excuses about Ho-Sang. I am far from one of the many irrational JHS fanboys on Isles Twiter, but our offensive is inept and we just keep losing more forwards. I don't want to see Ladd on the ice one more time this year.

6. Burn it. Throw the game in the trash and get right back at it.

If Filppula/Clutterbuck are out for over a week here is how Id go. Change about the lines and wings as yous ee fit.

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Dal Colle-Nelson-Bailey
Komarov-Koivula- Beauvillier
Martin-Cizikas-Kuhnackl/Ho-Sang

Reactions: MJF

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
1. That was the ugliest game I've ever seen in person. You knew it was over 5 minutes into the game.

2. They lack the high end talent to take it tot he next level. Panarin/Duchene are necessities next year.

3. Boston is scary good. They are going to knock out Toronto in 5 or 6 games and I wouldn't be surprised if their brand of hockey knocks off Tampa.

4. I miss Chara

I was there too. Completely agree it was one of the worst games I've ever seen live. With that, I had a bad feeling before the game started, but after surviving the first down only 1-0 I thought they may be able to respond. After Martin fought and the following 5 minutes the rest of the team had absolutely ZERO emotional response and the 2nd was looking exactly like the first, then I knew it was over.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->