GDT: #73 ⋅ ANA @ SEA ⋅ 7:00 PM PDT

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Eakins did the same thing last year. Starting to look like a Verbeek directive. Gotta teach those kids accountability, but modeling it by holding the "veteran culture builders" to the same standard is right out.
That will build a culture, but it's probably not one he really wants.
I wish we had reporters who would ask Cronin about it. “Hey Ole man Cronin, how come you bench the young guys for doing the exact same thing as the vets but never do anything to the vets?”

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Also someone who could press Verbeek a bit more on the occasions he makes himself available for the press.
I don't think that's up to the individuals necessarily. It feels like everything is very censored around him, certainly any of the podcasts he does with the team will be. And I don't expect Stephens or Lee to ever do a hard-hitting piece on him for fear of losing access.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021

"SEATTLE — After a lethargic, uninspired Tuesday night loss to the Seattle Kraken, the Anaheim Ducks’ approached the scheduling anomaly of a Thursday night rematch at Climate Pledge Arena with a simple mandate: stay out of the box. Incessant penalty calls have robbed the Ducks of opportunities to build momentum on offense and score goals.

That mandate was evidently too high of a bar for the young Ducks, who surrendered a mystifying 10 power play opportunities to Seattle en route to a 4-2 Kraken victory."

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I wish we had reporters who would ask Cronin about it. “Hey Ole man Cronin, how come you bench the young guys for doing the exact same thing as the vets but never do anything to the vets?”
I suspect it’s because it’s not too late to teach the kids. He really can’t take that penalty. McTavish needs to not lose a game in OT with stupid passing (although I’d like to think it may also be he’s just been abysmal the last 20 games so they were giving RFA some time with skill players for evaluation purposes). Carlsson can’t not get back in OT. I don’t think there have been enough benching, but it’s really hard to argue about the ones that have happened.

I think that too many people think the goal of these remaining games is to win. I don’t think it is, I think the goal is to prove they can play the game Verbeek/Cronyn want it played.

Typo intentional.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I'm so confused about this penalty and the video. I have no idea how the ref here is seeing a hold by Ze. I'll admit, the angle might make a difference and what was going on before the video here but still. Tough shit to get called for 2 minor penalties here, the crosscheck was an obvious one however.
The hold happened before the video. Zegras grabbed him to prevent him from going by then Tanev just treated Zegras like a terrier treats a chew toy.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender66

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Taking McTavish off the PP, benching Zegras for an entire period is just silly. These coaches that preach accountability but only do it towards the younger players are so tiresome. Where was the accountability for Gibson when the Canucks scored while he was barking at the ref? Where's the accountability for Gudas who dropped his stick vs the Leafs and didn't even bother to pick it up, allowing the Leafs to score.

Eakins was god awful but Cronin isn't much better.
I posted it earlier, but McTavish last has a PP point January 20th. He’s also had 1 assist total and was a -7 in the 10 games prior to last night. That’s without the egregious OT pass. His play has earned a demotion under any criteria, and we all think he’s playing injured. I’m going to consider it may also be an attempt to cut his minutes for health purposes.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
This team needs a direction.. A direction only a veteran Coach can direct them on .. You bring in a rookie coach and add all these rookies, add in the vets that just dont care.. And you get this..

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
I suspect it’s because it’s not too late to teach the kids. He really can’t take that penalty. McTavish needs to not lose a game in OT with stupid passing (although I’d like to think it may also be he’s just been abysmal the last 20 games so they were giving RFA some time with skill players for evaluation purposes). Carlsson can’t not get back in OT. I don’t think there have been enough benching, but it’s really hard to argue about the ones that have happened.

I think that too many people think the goal of these remaining games is to win. I don’t think it is, I think the goal is to prove they can play the game Verbeek/Cronyn want it played.

Typo intentional.
Can't help noticing the similarity between this point and the often-made point about the penalty disparities. It's not that it's wrong, it's that it's arbitrarily enforced.

The problem with holding just the young guys accountable because they can still be taught is that if you're not treating everyone on the team the same way, that creates its own problems. Especially when some of the guys with the worst discipline issues are the guys who were supposedly brought in for the other guys to learn from. If I'm a young player sitting on the bench for the same thing I see my purported role models on the team doing regularly, my takeaway isn't "I have to stop doing that because it hurts the team," it's "my coach is a prick who plays favorites."

I'd agree with you that the solution is more benchings rather than less, in a vacuum they've all seemed pretty justified. But the way it's being handled overall seems, much like the penalty disparities, more likely to create resentment than improved behavior.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
There's also different kinds of stupid, should-be-punished penalties IMO.

Killorn and McTavish take lazy/careless penalties. Zegras and Vatrano take "losing your head and doing something stupid" penalties.

Taking a step back I think there's an argument to be made about punishing the second type by benching, as a sort-of "think about what you did." There's also a logic to Z getting punished and not Vatrano, who is a vet - not sure I agree with it but there's logic there.

There's also a logic to not benching Killorn or McTavish for their penalties because the only way they are going to stop taking them is by learning how to play without taking them, which can't be done on the bench.

Obviously this is just speculation, but I don't think the system is as arbitrary as some would make it out to be.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
What i find hilarious is that a player can cross check someone partially in the face (like Strome did) and there’s no reaction from people. But Zegras breaks a camera and he’s literally Hitler, and the Kraken’s broadcasters have to go on a personal investigation with their nhl contacts to figure out how to deal with Zegras’ actions.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
This team needs a direction.. A direction only a veteran Coach can direct them on .. You bring in a rookie coach and add all these rookies, add in the vets that just dont care.. And you get this..

Lol - it’s all on Verbeek. Can’t wait to have a ‘rinse-and-repeat’ season next year with more ‘accountability’.

Reactions: dracom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad