Post-Game Talk: #72 | FLYERS 4 at Hurricanes 2 | Sat., Mar. 17, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
giphy.gif

Unreleased footage from Hak's postgame presser

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Tell us Dave, what did u take from your prospects out of this night?

"Well, I mean Filppula was great in that sequence. You know the way he made the goalie move was ..."

Sorry, I meant how did u feel after you watched Sanheim, Lindblöm, Konecny and Lyon?

"As I said, Filps is awesome in those one on ones. Tomorrow he will be used against Backström."

Yeah but the Young guys?

"Oh oh gotcha. Hägg will be in the line-up tomorrow, you know. He has the most hits in the league and we Play the dump and chase anyway so I don't need any outlet passes from my D".

Thanks Dave.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Game put me to sleep after the first, but I finished the recording. Lyon stole it.

If you read the stats line with TK scoring, Filppula scoring and Raffl scoring, the lineup changes look good. Reality is TK was doing it all on his own the first two periods and Filppula casually lost the puck on a 2-1 before TK scored and only running into the ref put him in a position for a breakaway. Nice finish though. TK will be glued to Filp for the rest of the season now.

Nice that Sanheim and Lindblom got assists. Patrick was unbelievable, so was Jake's finish.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This game reminded me of a pet peeve.

In the first minute, Provy had a grade A chance on a backhand shot that beat Ward, but just hit the post.

giphy.gif

Early in the second, when we were down by a goal, Couts came out behind the 'Canes net and would have had a great backhand opportunity. Instead, he turned to his forehand and the chance was gone by the time he got there.

It seemed like I'd seen this a lot before. Checking the NHL.com stats, we're 27th in backhand shots.

Hak, if you're reading this (fat chance), you might want to have the coaches work on the guys' backhand skills and instruct them to take those opportunities when they have them. The backhand, when well executed, can be a really dangerous shot.

Can’t tell you how much I worked/work on my backhand. Like me playing hockey, when I’m not staring at Corsi data like the Matrix. The confidence to use your backhand from anywhere is a wonderful thing. I have no worry if you force me to that side.

Reactions: Foggy14

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This game reminded me of a pet peeve.

In the first minute, Provy had a grade A chance on a backhand shot that beat Ward, but just hit the post.

giphy.gif

Early in the second, when we were down by a goal, Couts came out behind the 'Canes net and would have had a great backhand opportunity. Instead, he turned to his forehand and the chance was gone by the time he got there.

It seemed like I'd seen this a lot before. Checking the NHL.com stats, we're 27th in backhand shots.

Hak, if you're reading this (fat chance), you might want to have the coaches work on the guys' backhand skills and instruct them to take those opportunities when they have them. The backhand, when well executed, can be a really dangerous shot.

I like it. Not only backhand shots but passes too. Saves you that fraction of second you need to beat guys like bob. I’d guess that the teams on the top of that list have a lot of skilled players.

Reactions: Foggy14

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Game put me to sleep after the first, but I finished the recording. Lyon stole it.

If you read the stats line with TK scoring, Filppula scoring and Raffl scoring, the lineup changes look good. Reality is TK was doing it all on his own the first two periods and Filppula casually lost the puck on a 2-1 before TK scored and only running into the ref put him in a position for a breakaway. Nice finish though. TK will be glued to Filp for the rest of the season now.

Nice that Sanheim and Lindblom got assists. Patrick was unbelievable, so was Jake's finish.

i still want changes in the fo winning against a crap team doesnt really make it any better, we are just as bad as they are because we almost got beaten by them, anyone that thinks this team a cup contender, seriously need some head examination and lyon stole the show, um yeah like any backup goalie will steal the show against the bottom of the league team, play him against tampa then we will talk.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Can’t tell you how much I worked/work on my backhand. Like me playing hockey, when I’m not staring at Corsi data like the Matrix. The confidence to use your backhand from anywhere is a wonderful thing. I have no worry if you force me to that side.

My backhand is ass

My wrist shot is as heavy as a collapsing neutron star though lol

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No one thinks this is a Cup Contender, heck, in September I suspect most here didn't expect them to make the playoffs.
As Lyon showed, when they get even average goaltending they're a good (not great) team.
Average goaltenders make the routine plays and some tough stops, top goaltenders stop almost everything.

Elliott/Neuvirth - 28-18-10 - 97 point pace, .910% [league average .913%]
Mrazek - 4-5-1 - 74 point pace - .887%

Hopefully, next year in the AHL, Stolarz/Lyon and Hart.

Yes, they need (and will get) upgrades, but right now they're close to being a 100 point team with a league average goaltender.
Hot goaltending can elevate a mediocre team (see Florida, CBJ and NJ the last 10-15 games, Kincaid has been a revelation]
Bad goaltending can drag down a good team.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Just watched the replay of the game. Right on the edge until the closing minutes of the third.
The lines appeared in disarray for much of the game and Carolina really took it to them.

Thank God that Alex Lyon felt it today and the kids came up big!

Reactions: Rebels57

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If Lyon can be Neuvirth without the injuries (aka a reliable backup goalie), I think we'd all be happy with that.

If the PK ever improves to something better than horrendous and if our coach stopped chasing terrible matchups, that'd probably increase our goalie save %. Also, upgrading the defense at some point will help a lot.

Sam Morin would probably save 10 goals a year at his current status (if health).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One reason this team struggles to get the puck out of their own zone isn't the inability to make outlet passes, it's consistently losing battles along the boards, and a lack of quickness getting to the puck.

Slow and small is no way to go through the NHL, son.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad