Post-Game Talk: #72: FLYERS 2 at Penguins 1 (OT), Sunday, Mar. 17, 2019, 7:30 p.m. ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart was amazing, singlehandly stole that game and had the Pens muttering to themselves.
But that showed the whole problem since Gordon took over, totally a product of goalie play.

Another game where the team was seriously outshot, and outchanced:
SCF/CA 19/27, HDCF/CA 5/10
Flyers did pick it up in the 3rd period, partially out of desperation. Without Hart, it could have been 4-0 by then.

Worst offenders:
SCF/CA, HDCF/CA
Provorov 4/13, 2/5
Sanheim 4/14, 2/5
Couts 5/11, 2/6
Voracek 7/12, 1/6
Lindblom 6/11, 1/5
Giroux 2/9, 1/0
Pens dominated our best group, not a good sign, imagine if they had Malkin.
Gordon's "keep it outside" may explain the bad Corsi, but if it's allowing scoring chances and HD chances, what's the point?

Best performances:
Myers 5/2, 0/1
Ghost 3/3, 0/2
Hagg 11/11, 3/4
Gudas 11/11, 3/3
Hartman 5/0, 2/0
Varone 6/3, 1/1
Knight 4/0, 1/1
I think for the 3rd pair and 4th line, this reflects easy matchups, but that's why Sanheim's metrics when he was being sheltered were misleading.

TK 3/7, 1/3, TK has had bad metrics since Gordon took over irregardless of where he plays in the lineup. He's scoring, but otherwise is a black hole. That's why he's being spotted and kept away from tough matchups.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hart was amazing, singlehandly stole that game and had the Pens muttering to themselves.
But that showed the whole problem since Gordon took over, totally a product of goalie play.

Another game where the team was seriously outshot, and outchanced:
SCF/CA 19/27, HDCF/CA 5/10
Flyers did pick it up in the 3rd period, partially out of desperation. Without Hart, it could have been 4-0 by then.

Worst offenders:
SCF/CA, HDCF/CA
Provorov 4/13, 2/5
Sanheim 4/14, 2/5
Couts 5/11, 2/6
Voracek 7/12, 1/6
Lindblom 6/11, 1/5
Giroux 2/9, 1/0
Pens dominated our best group, not a good sign, imagine if they had Malkin.
Gordon's "keep it outside" may explain the bad Corsi, but if it's allowing scoring chances and HD chances, what's the point?

Best performances:
Myers 5/2, 0/1
Ghost 3/3, 0/2
Hagg 11/11, 3/4
Gudas 11/11, 3/3
Hartman 5/0, 2/0
Varone 6/3, 1/1
Knight 4/0, 1/1
I think for the 3rd pair and 4th line, this reflects easy matchups, but that's why Sanheim's metrics when he was being sheltered were misleading.

TK 3/7, 1/3, TK has had bad metrics since Gordon took over irregardless of where he plays in the lineup. He's scoring, but otherwise is a black hole. That's why he's being spotted and kept away from tough matchups.
I like TK, but he’s terrible defensively. Better than he used to be, which must have been a hell of a coaching chore, but he still makes some God-awful high risk, low reward plays at bad times that go the other way. I can’t blame any coach who’s reticent to put him out there in situations where you can’t afford a quick strike goal against.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
pittsburgh has been bad this year, that team is going to be la kings declining from age team in the east next year, im surprised they are in this race, it's going to be one and done for them because washington and tampa are too good to be beaten by pittsburgh.

im not going to be surprised if the pens are going to rebuild next year because they have really declined.

Reactions: renberg

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
pittsburgh has been bad this year, that team is going to be la kings declining from age team in the east next year, im surprised they are in this race, it's going to be one and done for them because washington and tampa are too good to be beaten by pittsburgh.

im not going to be surprised if the pens are going to rebuild next year because they have really declined.
A smart move would to trade Shrek and replenish picks and or roster players BUT one thing we can rely on is that they won’t do that because when the Pens don’t have the 1-2 combo of Sid and Malkin they go from good to suck very fast, or is it suck to blow?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I think youll find a lot of flyers fans requesting honorary Canes membership if you all make the playoffs. Maybe we can have our own subsection of fans and just call ourselves the Nor'easters or something.

Maybe for Brindy's sake, but I want both them and Columbus to get murdered in the first round.

Reactions: Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don’t give a damn about the Canes, but I want to see another Don Cherry meltdown.

Thats part of it. The Canes fanbase is generally fairly likeable as well, thats another piece. Brindy is another. The other selfish reason is - give Aho a cup and watch that contract soar. I'd like to see just how much the new owner is willing to spend, and if hes not willing to go much higher - letting them win this year (when we clearly cant) may adversely affect them potentially winning when our window is actually open.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
It seems to me that the Pens have gotten away from what won them two Cups and they are loading up to try to pummel the Lightning. The guys they've added this season are Jack Johnson (6-1, 227), Nick Bjugstad (6-6, 215), Gudbranson (6-5, 217) and McCann (6-1 180). They got rid of speed/skill players in Sprong, Hagelin and Brassard. I guess they also want to be more physical against the Caps.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I want to see Morin coached to use his body and stick at the line to prevent zone entries.

My suspicion is that he’s going to be told to play like a bigger Hagg. I’m not sure if I want to see the substitution or not because of this fear.

Another note, I want to know what’s breaking down between the forwards and the defenseman on controlled DZ exits. This team shouldn’t be having so many issues getting out of their own zone with possession. They have 3 or more defenseman who’ve got good passing ability and above average ability to prevent controlled entries. Aside from 2/3 of the 4th line, the forwards are capable of pushing play on the rush.

So what the f*** is going on? Why do we see so many instances of sloppy passing leading to sustained DZ pressure, chaos in the NZ, and dump-ins?

I guess I can’t complain about the excitement factor... Low possession, unsustainably opportunistic goal scoring is heart-attack-hockey

Reactions: renberg

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I maintain that Provorov is a below-average passer. He has all the other offensive skills but he's not good passing the puck especially when pressured. And Hagg is a terrible passer. But the bigger issue is the forwards don't support the puck.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I maintain that Provorov is a below-average passer. He has all the other offensive skills but he's not good passing the puck especially when pressured. And Hagg is a terrible passer. But the bigger issue is the forwards don't support the puck.

I feel like Provorov’s short game is surprisingly bad. He’s got a great stretch pass, though—the eye and the accuracy

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If Morin has 1/3 of Kjell's career I'll be stoked. If Hart establishes himself as a Vezina-type goaltender, teams are going to put an emphasis on putting bodies in front of him as well as physically abusing him. Morin's particular skills will come in handy.

Reactions: Tripod

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
What a great win last night. Yes they could of played better. That 2nd period on the long change and unable to get a line change was ridiculous. Thought they really battled hard for the most part last night. Effort should not be questioned.
Carter Hart was amazing last night. Not sure how many high quality chances they had but it seemed like an awful lot.
Thats why JVR was signed. It isnt always pretty but he gets the job done scoring big goals.
Cant say enough about Couturier. He is one of the best Centers on the game. The way he just abused Crosby on the winner. So awesome.
Speaking of cant say enough Giroux battling the flu and playing 23 minutes last night. Anyone who questions what kind of Captain he is can f*** off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->