GDT: #72 - Blues vs. Sabres at 5 PM ET on NHLN, MSG-B, and WGR

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I would add that gameplay in the NHL is not as "muddy" and scrambly as it is in the AHL. The game flows better, passing is more crisp, execution is better. Might benefit a guy like Nylander who is more of a skill and brains type of player. I do realize the irony of that assertion because the Amerks have been a more structured team than the Sabres this year. Maybe he just tries harder up here, who knows.

Not as muddy or scramble as junior hockey. Maybe he just is healthy and a grown man?

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
So I think we are talking past each other a bit.

Your example of your beer league experience is kind of my point. You are able to succeed, despite being a lesser physical specimen at this point, no offense, because you play smart and see things better than your opponents and teammates. And I think we can agree that beer league is not very organized.

So that example kinda proves the point, if Alex was thinking “too” fast for the ahl, he would similarly have succeeded, like yourself, because he can take advantage of less intelligent players. He would over produce, for his athleticism and maturity.

So I can agree with you, that he might very well succeed at the nhl next year or the year after. But it’s not because playing at the nhl is a slower pace or because his teammates will be better. I would posit it is because he matured physically and mentally enough to use his ability effectively at the professional level. I suspect he would crush the ahl next year at 22 if he stays down, regardless of the difference in play between the two leagues, if we are to believe that his last performance is typical of his future nhl production.
Alas you may be right about talking past each other. I think I was addressing the point that people were expecting dominance in points and other counting stats. They said he looked disengaged. I have only seen a handful of Amerks games this year and last, maybe 15. One we do not know what was being asked of him and his play by the coach (quite possibly scoring was de-emphasized) and too a person who is outthinking people can look disengaged ala the critique of Sam last year and before. I do not equate AHL success with mere points and stand by my assertion that the AHL is not the be all end all.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Alas you may be right about talking past each other. I think I was addressing the point that people were expecting dominance in points and other counting stats. They said he looked disengaged. I have only seen a handful of Amerks games this year and last, maybe 15. One we do not know what was being asked of him and his play by the coach (quite possibly scoring was de-emphasized) and too a person who is outthinking people can look disengaged ala the critique of Sam last year and before. I do not equate AHL success with mere points and stand by my assertion that the AHL is not the be all end all.

I’m with you on the ahl dominance point. Him not being his brother for his first two years in Rochester is not proof that he sucks.

The disengagement talk has been from some posters who regularly watch the amerks and from his coach, Taylor, explicitly. To be honest I would be stunned if for a significant chunk of time they asked a teenager skill guy to play a bottom six checking role.

It was these other ridiculous arguments that got mixed between us, like the ahl will always be harder for a guy like Nylander than the nhl because he is so smart.... I mean that’s nuts. Put Reinhart in Rochester or Eichel wearing a 40 lb vest. They would both wreck that league. Moulson is like ppg. Brains never hurts you in any league.

It would be fantastic to see him strong together more good than bad for the rest of the year. He would be a tremendous addition next year if he could be another winger at even the Sheary level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->