OT: 71st Obsequious Banter Thread: Hey, we're just one away from revisiting the Zeppinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County, and The Far Side were the last great hurrah of traditional newspaper comic strips. I think I lost my Billy and the Boingers record that came with the one collection. :oops:

Pearls Before Swine is good. I don't know of any other printed comics that have caught my eye beyond that.

There are a lot of really great online comics. Extrafabulous Comics, Things In Squares, Strange Planet, PBF, Jake Likes Onions, and Married to the Sea are some of my own favorites.

Speaking of classics an possible new classics:

Ever Wished That Calvin and Hobbes Creator Bill Watterson Would Return to the Comics Page? Well, He Just Did.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Pearls Before Swine is good. I don't know of any other printed comics that have caught my eye beyond that.

There are a lot of really great online comics. Extrafabulous Comics, Things In Squares, Strange Planet, PBF, Jake Likes Onions, and Married to the Sea are some of my own favorites.

Ever Wished That Calvin and Hobbes Creator Bill Watterson Would Return to the Comics Page? Well, He Just Did.

He is a spectacular artist, he really is. I would never take someone seriously who could respect a Picasso but not the "low art" of comic strips and cartooning in general. I have no time for people like that.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Extra fab is my avytard

Check out poorly drawn lines too

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I specified newspaper comics because now most new stuff is online and a lot of the stuff in the paper is reruns because physical news is dying. I remember back in the early days of webcomics it was Achewood, Red Meat, and Rehabilitating Mr. Wiggles I'd see reposted everywhere. Mr. Wiggles was my fav, especially when he would get visits from Jesus. :laugh:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Why'd you have to go and make things so complicated?

ShrillGroundedLamprey-size_restricted.gif

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
My life h itas been going downhill since peak Avril tbh.
My life has been going downhill since my conception but I feel you it has been steeper since peak Avril.

Do you remember "Hundred Million", a song on the NHL 03 soundtrack? She made a random cameo in that music video. I was nostalgically listening to that song and boom, there she is. Lifechanging

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Back on topic - some web comics I used to be a huge fan of but haven't read as frequently the past several years (same team), www.leasticoulddo.com & www.lfg.co

As far as collecting goes, prefer paper mags to tradebacks, often eschew hardcover because cheap. I have about 6 long boxes in my basement of mostly current stuff (splurge every now and again for something old, like Black Panther stuff). Plus there's another 3 or 4 at my parents house. Mostly Marvel, in the recent times I've expanded to other publishers for stories that aren't cape-centric. A new home, new kid, some other stuff, I have about 4.5 months worth of comics still in the bag I took them out of the store with waiting to be read. Some day, soon.

Comic strips - Hagar the Horrible, because obvi. The Lockhorns. The Boondocks. I like the simplicity of Ziggy. Dagwood is easily digestible. Classic Dilbert needs mentioning. Calvin and Hobbes is poop. Never liked Prince Valiant, or the Christian themed stories based off scripture. Family Circle was hella lame. BC was pleasant, Zits made me feel smarter somehow. Non Sequitur, such a good one. Get Fuzzy, probably my favorite because maybe once a year there'd be a rugby reference, made me feel loved. The Phantom made me feel mature, because it was old like my dad. For Better or Worse, not the top of the list, but would be sure to read before surrendering that portion of the paper. Opus, I wanted to like it, but probably was neither jaded, nor cynical enough as a young child to really get it. And lastly, from what Google has helped me remember, Overboard was actually a lot of fun- Spy vs Spy meets Pirates. And there's another I'm forgetting, harried young family with a small girl child and a baby boy, dad was an artist. I enjoyed it, kids got into hi-jinks with no consequences.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't remember Avril Lavigne. I do not care to either.

Regardless, here's a pro-tip for the weird would-be-love-triangle. It's 2019, men are marrying men, women are marrying women. And there's still men and women marrying each other. Cats live with dogs, and while still present, the stigma is much less today.

Avril is playing a concert in Paris, France March 26th. The three of yourselves should do yourselves a favor, buy tickets, make transportation arrangements, and go as a threesome. Later, in the sordid mess of your hotel room, an understanding and means to arrangements can be made as the three of you love yourselves in person away from the chat.

Now back to not knowing, or caring, who this woman is.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't remember Avril Lavigne. I do not care to either.

Regardless, here's a pro-tip for the weird would-be-love-triangle. It's 2019, men are marrying men, women are marrying women. And there's still men and women marrying each other. Cats live with dogs, and while still present, the stigma is much less today.

Avril is playing a concert in Paris, France March 26th. The three of yourselves should do yourselves a favor, buy tickets, make transportation arrangements, and go as a threesome. Later, in the sordid mess of your hotel room, an understanding and means to arrangements can be made as the three of you love yourselves in person away from the chat.

Now back to not knowing, or caring, who this woman is.

Sorry, Ruck, but you missed out
Well, tough, luck that boy's mine now

Reactions: landsbergfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad