Prospect Info: #71, Kasper Kotkansalo

Skippy73

Oct 15, 2016
Bikini Bottom
How is the jury still out? Because as of right now he has one hot half of a season to his name as an NHL player.

Unfavorable opinion, but I agree. I think he still has plenty of room to grow and improve his game, but I see some of the predictions and expectations people on here set for him and just laugh. He will make a fine 2C (assuming he plays center moving forward)

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm not quite sure how to feel about Tyler Wright. His first round picks have been Larkin, Svechnikov, Cholowski, and Rasmussen. I hated the Larkin pick at the time, but he's developed better than I expected. Still we're yet to see if Larkin can stick as a top 6 C. I still prefer higher IQ Cs like Fabbri but Larkin has developed very well so far. We're yet to see who will ultimately be the better player but Laekin was obviously a good choice.

Svechnikov was an interesting pick because it greatly ignored areas of need like C and D to draft a winger. Still they said they thought he was the most skilled players available and had to go BPA. I'm fine with that as I think Svech is a very high ceiling W. I think he and Mantha will be an awesome force.

Cholowski is definitely a huge question mark. I have hope that he'll be a top 4 D but he's a very uncertain prospect. At the time of the draft I figured we'd pick Rubstov which wasn't particularly exciting either. Cholowski was the great unknown that made us feel hopeful with his mystery but still remains one haha.

He's done well with his later picks though. Saarijarvi and Hronek being the recent standouts. Still a team lives and dies on its first round picks and we have yet to draft a player that looks like a top line C or D. That made this year a big "prove it" year for me. Tyler Wright has done pretty well but not great. His picks seemed to produce pretty good players but not address needs very well.

If he could draft an elite potential player this year that looks like a 1/2 C/D I'd be happy. We had 9th overall, our first top ten pick in a long time. Vilardi and Necas were both available and I thought we'd go with one of them. Perfect high skill top 6 Cs hopefully. There was also Liljegren, the classic pre-season hype D that had a rough year and dropped. Personally I still think he could be a Letang-esque #2 offensive defenseman. Or they could have been bold and went with Eric Brannstrom or Nick Suzuki. There were lots of options I liked. Instead we picked the one guy I really didn't want in Rasmussen. It finally established that my fears about Tyler Wright are perhaps true.

I think he's a skilled scout in that he can watch a player and determine their strengths and weaknesses well. Unfortunately I think he prioritize players that have a combination of good physical tools (size/speed) and a good attitude over players that have good skill and think the game well.

Larkin is a Michigan born defensively responsible C that has good size and elite skating. He's known for being a very committed player. Svechnikov is constantly praised for his humble personality and willingness to listen to advice and work to get better. He's quite strong and plays an Ovechkin esque game...not that I expect him to be nearly that good unfortunately. Cholo was going through a huge growth spurt and will be quite fast and strong if he can fill out his growing body. He's known for being extremely committed and hard working...even being a bookworm at school this year.

And finally Rasmussen, he's a huge C with great character. He scored a lot of goals from in tight and uses his size and quick hands to deflect/rebound effectively on the PP. His even strength numbers showed that he struggled a lot and he may have trouble at even strength in the NHL. Furthermore he didn't collect many first assists. These are red flags for a player's future as a player that's expected to produce. I genuinely think he projects as a 3C + PP. That's just not what I was hoping for at 9th overall. How did Holland and Wright justify the pick? He's big and has great character. That's what they are looking for. It's not what I'd normally prioritize but I hope it works out. Ultimately I wish we had someone better than Wright but I think he's fine.

Kortkansalo and Lindstrom seem like they have the potential to follow the path of Hronek and Saarijarvi which is promising.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Unfavorable opinion, but I agree. I think he still has plenty of room to grow and improve his game, but I see some of the predictions and expectations people on here set for him and just laugh. He will make a fine 2C (assuming he plays center moving forward)

He has played 100 games in the NHL, and I still have no idea what his peak will be. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

But he could be an entirely different player if he gets stronger and can hold onto the puck better. Probably could help him win more battles defensively and be a better defensively as well. Probably helps him in the faceoff dot also.

Right now he is a young, energetic kid that flies around the ice and plays at 1 speed, and throws a ton of pucks on net. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't help me project what he will be in 5 years much.

Basically what I'm saying is I like him, but he has a lot to prove still. He hasn't even played a full season at center yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he became a 30-30 1st line center Selke nominee, or if he maxed out as a 2nd/3rd line winger.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
He has played 100 games in the NHL, and I still have no idea what his peak will be. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

But he could be an entirely different player if he gets stronger and can hold onto the puck better. Probably could help him win more battles defensively and be a better defensively as well. Probably helps him in the faceoff dot also.

Right now he is a young, energetic kid that flies around the ice and plays at 1 speed, and throws a ton of pucks on net. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't help me project what he will be in 5 years much.

I think he's still a project. He had a calder calibre season relative to most years(2015 was a stacked year for rookies) and had a poor sophomore season, which isn't uncommon, on a terrible team.

This year will be important in evaluating the soon-to-be 21 year old. He's young enough that it's difficult to gauge what he is. He could still develop into a top line center, he needs more time. I know I'm not really contradicting what you're saying, but he's definitely a bit of a wildcard.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Back on topic, it's awesome Kotkansalo was recruited by one of the absolute top college hockey programs in the country.

But man, there is going to be some competition on that blue line for playing time.

If I'm not mistaken, there is...
Fabbro (2016 1st rounder)
Krys (2016 2nd rounder)
Hickey (2013 3rd rounder)
Crotty (2017 3rd rounder)
Farrance (2017 3rd rounder)

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
No, but those are 2 separate points entirely IMO.

I wasn't challenging that Larkin was a good pick.

I was challenging that Larkin is a known quantity at the NHL level.

Ok, I can certainly buy that. I would, however, also note that applies to the vast, vast majority of third year players in the NHL, especially those as young as Larkin.

I don't know why this occurred and I am not accusing you of this point, but a lot of posters are acting like Larkin at 21 is done developing as a player and he is what he is going to be. All young players continue to develop into their mid 20s (and even beyond), regardless of whether or not they are precocious enough to play in the NHL at a young age. I will guarantee you that McDavid will be a different player five years from now than he is today. Does Larkin get knocked off of the puck more than you would like? Absolutely. But at 21, do people really think he has maxed out his capacity to get stronger physically as well as on the puck?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Back on topic, it's awesome Kotkansalo was recruited by one of the absolute top college hockey programs in the country.

But man, there is going to be some competition on that blue line for playing time.

If I'm not mistaken, there is...
Fabbro (2016 1st rounder)
Krys (2016 2nd rounder)
Hickey (2013 3rd rounder)
Crotty (2017 3rd rounder)
Farrance (2017 3rd rounder)

Legit concern. The upside is steel sharpening steel (I think it is generally more important to be on a better NCAA team than a good CHL team due to the difference in practice to game ratios), the downside as you point out is a potential lack of ice time.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
How is the jury still out on Larkin, the only player I'd definitively take that went after him is Pasta and he easily makes the top 10 of the redraft. He had a poor second season, at 20 years old ... wow. Most kids are in the AHL while he was "declining" in the NHL.

Larkin was one of the best value picks in the first round that year.

the jury is still out because it's still very much unclear whether he'll be a good player or just a decent one at this point(and even how well he can handle being a Center in the NHL for that matter)

he looked an awful lot like "Helm with hands" this past year and while that's not bad for a 15th overall it's not exactly particularly worth praising a scouting director over either especially when it's his only pick in the NHL so far

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Legit concern. The upside is steel sharpening steel (I think it is generally more important to be on a better NCAA team than a good CHL team due to the difference in practice to game ratios), the downside as you point out is a potential lack of ice time.

Optimistically, yeah. If he carves out a role on that team that says a lot about what we have there, in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kotkansalo with 2 pts (1G, 1A) in these 2 summer exhibition games for Finland so far.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kasper Kotkansalo, LhD, Boston University (Hockey East)
GP:
16, G: 0, A: 4, PT: 4
Drafted: 71st in 2017

Red Wings' top prospects: Some flourishing, some struggling mid-season

"Got off to a little bit of a slow start this year," Horcoff said. "When I saw him early in the season, I wasn't really happy with where his game was at but having seen him again last weekend, he's made good strides. He's going to be a defender, that's what he is. He's good on the PK, he's got pretty good sense, he can move the puck pretty well. He's at his best when he's just defending hard and keeping it simple."

So defensive defenceman only. Not much else to expect. 3rd pairing guy + PK.

Will join Wings very late thanks to that University commitment and will be cheap guy (late-written ELC) to have near on his prime. Maybe smart with the cap, who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad