Post-Game Talk: #71: FLYERS 6 at Maple Leafs 7, Friday, Mar. 15, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So we're giving Sanheim a pass for two atrocious games but piling on Hagg?
It's as if you make Hagg the scapegoat (just like VdV, Lehtera, Weise, etc.), all our problems are solved if we replace him with Morin.

" a goat sent into the wilderness after the Jewish chief priest had symbolically laid the sins of the people upon it"

Reactions: Breeze 44

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
It's as if you make Hagg the scapegoat (just like VdV, Lehtera, Weise, etc.), all our problems are solved if we replace him with Morin.

" a goat sent into the wilderness after the Jewish chief priest had symbolically laid the sins of the people upon it"

He doesn't have a skillset for the modern NHL, period. It's not about single performances

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Cant help but wonder what happens if Gordon does the smart thing and starts Hart vs Ottawa, Elliott vs Washington, and back to Hart vs Toronto.

Gordons handling of the goaltending has been as bad as any coach I can remember.

Not even the worst handling of this season. Picking the wrong goalies is one thing. Riding a just recovered from knee surgery goalie for 3 games in 4 days is EASILY the worst handling of a goalie situation I've seen.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not even the worst handling of this season. Picking the wrong goalies is one thing. Riding a just recovered from knee surgery goalie for 3 games in 4 days is EASILY the worst handling of a goalie situation I've seen.

Yeah that was absolutely ridiculous.

So was giving Hart 4 starts in 6 nights, including a weekend back-to-back with a heavy workload, in the week leading up to the Stadium Series.

This is what happens when you are a bubble team. Coachs start to make irrational decisions because they are desperate for points.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah that was absolutely ridiculous.

So was giving Hart 4 starts in 6 nights, including a weekend back-to-back with a heavy workload, in the week leading up to the Stadium Series.

This is what happens when you are a bubble team. Coachs start to make irrational decisions because they are desperate for points.
The coaches didn’t make irrational decisions because we’re a bubble team.

We’re a bubble team because the coaches made irrational decisions. ;)

Like, for example, a lot of the goaltending decisions or playing Hagg as much as Ghost when the former causes multiple goals and the later played great. It’s choices like this that are the reason we’re not snuggly in a playoff spot.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The coaches didn’t make irrational decisions because we’re a bubble team.

We’re a bubble team because the coaches made irrational decisions. ;)

Like, for example, a lot of the goaltending decisions or playing Hagg as much as Ghost when the former causes multiple goals and the later played great. It’s choices like this that are the reason we’re not snuggly in a playoff spot.

I would say it's a bit of both. A circle of stupidity going round and round.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Cant help but wonder what happens if Gordon does the smart thing and starts Hart vs Ottawa, Elliott vs Washington, and back to Hart vs Toronto.

Gordons handling of the goaltending has been as bad as any coach I can remember.
They lose all 3 games instead of 2.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Doesn't matter who the Flyers hire as HC, I guarantee even if it's Q, Striiker will have a litany of complaint by game 20, "he should have played so and so more, and such and such less, . . ."

If you think 3 more minutes of Ghost, and 3 less minutes of Hagg is the reason the Flyers lost out on the playoffs, well . . .

My point on Hagg is simply that the Flyers have gotten rid of every scapegoat from previous seasons, and they'll probably move on from Hagg and Amac, and it won't make a lick of difference until they upgrade talent, the "real" players play better, and the team gets more experience.

Reactions: NicolasAubeKubel

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Sanheim, Patrick, Konecny, Hart, Provorov, Gostisbehere, Myers, Farabee, Lindblom, Frost, Hart

Bad beat last night.

But when a dead-legged team, burdened with a poor goalie performance (by a good guy who likely won't be with the team next season) nearly ties it with .7 seconds to go, and you look at the names above, there's a lot of reason for hope going forward.

Gordon gets credit for helping the team get going in the right direction after you-know-who, but he shouldn't be a serious candidate for the permanent job. We really need an experienced coach who has had success at the "new" NHL game and who can teach this team (especially the young defenders and forwards) how to play the fast break-out style that the Flyers struggle at, but have all the tools to implement. If I were Q, it would be so exciting I'd do it for free. :D

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Starting St. Patrick's Day celebrations 2 days early was a bold strategy by both teams.

I have so much to say that I feel like saying nothing. Someone else can just say it.

tumblr_o335omYodS1qhhssxo2_250.gif
just read the gdt, backwards for 15 pages. i was totaly entertained. that's all i got after watching the game.

Reactions: Peter Man and Magua

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

Sanheim has had 2 bad games, but Hagg has had probably 2 "good games" since Jan 1st. Hagg has been the WORST defenseman in the league in the new year, so yes it is the right time to scratch him and play Morin

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Hagg was pathetic last night. Will he be a solid 5/6 dman? Likely but when you have a Morin that has the ability to be a game changer in a similar role and you choose to keep him in the minors is just another reminder how pathetic the moves by Hakstol/Hextall were.. This team needs to add a physical dimension. Morin with his reach, size and toughness just needs experience. We are in desperate need of someone with his skill set. Will he likely make mistakes .... yes but that's how you learn. hope Fletcher gives this kid a chance and just doesn't trade him in the off season.

Reactions: Amorgus

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Sanheim, Patrick, Konecny, Hart, Provorov, Gostisbehere, Myers, Farabee, Lindblom, Frost, Hart

Congrats, you named every big name young player I guess? Could do that for literally any team in the league, it doesn’t address any of the issues I mentioned or the ones we’ve had every season for multiple seasons now. Not to mention all but two of those were on the team this year at some point and like 2/3rds were here all year. You also mentioned Hart twice.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
People want to dump on Elliott, but Beef points this out regularly. He crumbles under any load resembling a 55+ game pace and we have insane coaches that run every goalie into the ground pretty quickly. Gordon is no different from Hak in that regard. Historically, Elliott has been fine as a platoon guy or a 45 to 50 game starter.

He was fine before Gordon refused to play anyone else. Our coaching is an embarrassment that has negatively impacted every goalie, in terms of performance and health, this season.

Hart >>>>> Elliott

Don't care what the numbers say the last 6 games.

Ottawa would have been a perfect tune up game for him. Elliott had to make about 2 difficult saves in that game and they were both shot right into him.

Then he would have been ready to go against Toronto and probably stop the beach balls that were getting past Elliott.

Last night should have been Elliotts last start as a Flyer. Any more games given to him is a joke.

I agree with Tripod that you might not be getting better goaltending from Hart. Idoubt it over a long stretch with the way this coach handles goalie rotations, which is just like how Hak handled it.

However, at this point in the season there’s no reason to not play Hart and Talbot in 50/50 splits to see what you got and give them experience.

The goalie rotation by the coach and not playing Talbot at all are far bigger issues to me.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim has had 2 bad games, but Hagg has had probably 2 "good games" since Jan 1st. Hagg has been the WORST defenseman in the league in the new year, so yes it is the right time to scratch him and play Morin

I have no problem with that, I want to see if Morin has anything or is just an urban (ok, Canadian heartland) myth.

Thinking that replacing Hagg (or VdV, Filppula, Lehtera, Weise, Weal, et al, before him) is the solution to this team's problems is nonsense.

Changing the nameplate on the locker doesn't make the team significantly better.
It's finding better players that makes you better.
Otherwise, we're just tethering a different goat as bait for T-Rex.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I have no problem with that, I want to see if Morin has anything or is just an urban (ok, Canadian heartland) myth.

Thinking that replacing Hagg (or VdV, Filppula, Lehtera, Weise, Weal, et al, before him) is the solution to this team's problems is nonsense.

Changing the nameplate on the locker doesn't make the team significantly better.
It's finding better players that makes you better.
Otherwise, we're just tethering a different goat as bait for T-Rex.

The team has many problems, but attempting to eliminate one of them is a start considering that one problem was directly responsible for 2 goals last game

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The team has many problems, but attempting to eliminate one of them is a start considering that one problem was directly responsible for 2 goals last game
Yeah, removing literally one of the worst defensemen in the entire league obviously improves the team.

Without Hagg we probably manage to win that game.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Is it really that hard to understand?
Everyone understands it, but some people refuse to admit how bad Hagg really is. Either because they’re contrarians or because they’re still defending Hakstol though Hagg.

Admitting what Hagg really is would mean that Hakstol was wrong to use him, which they’ll never admit.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad