OT: 70th Obsequious Banter Thread: Hart asked the number to change to 79; we said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Interested in hearing how Watchmen is. Early reviews aren’t pretty. Could be jaded purists though.

We'll get to it tonight after the Flyers' game. I'm generally not against reimagining as long as you have an interesting take on things, but I'm skeptical of this one in particular.

Lost wasn't for me, nor were the Abrams Star Treks. I don't think I've seen anything else Lindelof did.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
We'll get to it tonight after the Flyers' game. I'm generally not against reimagining as long as you have an interesting take on things, but I'm skeptical of this one in particular.

Lost wasn't for me, nor were the Abrams Star Treks. I don't think I've seen anything else Lindelof did.
The trailer didn’t do anything for me either. Hoping I’m wrong but not holding my breath.

As a massive comic book collector and reader all my life, I try to be open minded but inevitably I can be picky.

I didn’t watch Lost but enjoyed the first 2 Star Trek’s. Obviously a different feel/tone from the original show though.

I’ve never been a Trekkie so that might explain it.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The trailer didn’t do anything for me either. Hoping I’m wrong but not holding my breath.

As a massive comic book collector and reader all my life, I try to be open minded but inevitably I can be picky.

I didn’t watch Lost but enjoyed the first 2 Star Trek’s. Obviously a different feel/tone from the original show though.

I’ve never been a Trekkie so that might explain it.

Did you like the Synder movie?

I disliked it so much that I never want to see a "faithful" adaptation again.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I watched a few episodes early on in The Leftovers and couldn’t get into it. Supposedly, the 2nd and 3rd seasons were a revelation. I don’t watch a ton of TV, but I thought about watching it again when they aired.

I’m sure that bought him a lot of favor when it comes to his new Watchmen show.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

The Snyder movie was fan service to the Nth degree.

I liked it, but only because I was a major fan of the printed story beforehand. I was actually upset they fell short of the print and changed around the ending. They made it more understandable for everyone else in the movie theater, but I was left wondering, if you took us this far, why not just go all the way. (Referencing the ending, Dr. Manhattan, the Ozy screw-job, etc. etc.)

The movie was long, but for capturing 12 comics, excluding the Black Flag story, I thought it moved well and it literally covered just about everything with an attention to detail most adaptations can only dream of.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

I liked it, but only because I was a major fan of the printed story beforehand. I was actually upset they fell short of the print and changed around the ending. They made it more understandable for everyone else in the movie theater, but I was left wondering, if you took us this far, why not just go all the way. (Referencing the ending, Dr. Manhattan, the Ozy screw-job, etc. etc.)

The movie was long, but for capturing 12 comics, excluding the Black Flag story, I thought it moved well and it literally covered just about everything with an attention to detail most adaptations can only dream of.
The first Sin City did a crazy faithful job too and was visually stunning. Unfortunately nobody told Frank Miller to quit while he was ahead and he made The Spirit on his own.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

I did. His dark/visual style served it well (and 300). I found the casting was quite well done too.

I did cut him slack as it’s a lot to digest into a film. Moore’s brilliant writing style is also tricky to “dumb down” for mass audience.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I think this is actually why I disliked it so much. I'm also a huge fan of the source material, but it felt soulless and lacking in resonance when those things are rather the point.

On the one hand, I don't know how anyone could make one film and cover everything so I do empathize with the impossibility of the task. On the other, they made a movie that took so much of the satire to heart. Shades of grey is what the books did so well. We got an awful lot of Batmaning on the screen.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I think this is actually why I disliked it so much. I'm also a huge fan of the source material, but it felt soulless and lacking in resonance when those things are rather the point.

On the one hand, I don't know how anyone could make one film and cover everything so I do empathize with the impossibility of the task. On the other, they made a movie that took so much of the satire to heart. Shades of grey is what the books did so well. We got an awful lot of Batmaning on the screen.

Bat-Manning: The heaviest Justice League member

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It didn't miss the point as severely as the Total Recall remake, but it was close.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

Valid points for sure. It definitely didn’t resonate like the comics did.

1986 was such a huge year in comics. Dark storylines like Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns and Daredevil Born Again were such important turning points in the industry.

Batman Year 1 was another extremely impactful entry.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

I don't get mad when reinterpretations stay true to the source. There's soooo many, ::eyeroll::, reasons to hate the Daredevil (Affleck) movie. That they cast Michael Clark Duncan (who was a fantastic actor) as Kingpin was one of the faults I couldn't look past. Yes, I geeked that hard.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
1986 was such a huge year in comics. Dark storylines like Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns and Daredevil Born Again were such important turning points in the industry.

Batman Year 1 was another extremely impactful entry.

One of the biggest for sure. You also had the tail end of Crisis, Man of Steel, Maus was collected for the first time, and Dark Horse became a thing.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I never read it, but I have heard of it. Was that an Image comic?

Oh ok, that's completely understandable.

It did switch over to Image at the end of the run. The first 20 issues were self-published. They've tried to make movies out of it several times over the years and finally announced Netflix picked up the rights last week. It's one of my favorite things written in any medium.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad