OT: 70th Obsequious Banter Thread: Hart asked the number to change to 79; we said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm not going to spoil it or anything but damn that's asking a lot, IMO.

Six months from hitting the masses and people still can't talk about it openly (even if we a thread dedicated to the Marvel Universe)?

On that subject, where does someone draw the line on where you can openly start talking about shows/movies/etc freely with regards to spoilers whether it be online or in person?

It used to be so much simpler with regards to the topic because everyone had one shot to watch TV shows and the next day at work everyone would talk about it. Now? People might not watch it for weeks as it sits on their DVR's.
So if you haven't heard, they made a movie about the ship, Titanic.

It sinks at the end.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It's all right, I puke out enough words on here that anything could get lost in the deluge. But you know how people pretty much rave about every culture's cuisine and find something good to say about it, and usually for very good reason? Filipino food is so bad. I had to go to Laos twice to get my visa stamped and I went with a group organized by Filipinos. They brought a Filipino cook with them, or rather one of the drivers did the cooking. It was regular thin noodles with some regular stuff in it, i.e. some grayish chicken, but it was so tasteless and just nasty. There were a couple of other dishes that I didn't bother trying.

Extrapolating from this experience that Filipino food is gross is a dangerous thing to do, but I can tell you that they also eat this kind of undeveloped bird fetus thing - there's one called balut, but I have seen other, more disgusting examples - and treat it as a delicacy. Why would you bother, when you could just get Thai food? Adventurous eating is moronic. So what, you ask me, if you are stuck in the Phillipines and have no choice? Leave. Immediately. The place is completely overrun by snakes. Also, there's too much mud.

Chicken adobo, pancit. THere are a few delicacies in there. Many a Lola have cooked for me, but for the most part I entirely agree. Filipino pinoy food is for the most part nothing to write home about.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Because I am a complete idiot, I’m going back to school again. If I complain about it, please mock me mercilessly. I did it to myself.

Yeesh. Good luck, bud. One go around through college was enough for me. I keep getting pressured to get an MBA because it'll "help my promotability".

Meanwhile, I just officially got my directorship effective this Monday. So, it sounds like maybe the MBA isnt really all that necessary?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Because I am a complete idiot, I’m going back to school again. If I complain about it, please mock me mercilessly. I did it to myself.

Never a bad idea depending on your age. I took some classes at 38 yrs old and found it really hard to get back into it and dedicate the proper amount of time to see it through with full time job and life in general.

Good luck

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeesh. Good luck, bud. One go around through college was enough for me. I keep getting pressured to get an MBA because it'll "help my promotability".

Meanwhile, I just officially got my directorship effective this Monday. So, it sounds like maybe the MBA isnt really all that necessary?

That's the maddening feedback loop. I got an MBA because I was told I needed it. While working on it, they moved me up beyond the level where the job descriptions asked for it. It did make a difference when I changed companies to be fair, but I still feel like an idiot for not waiting for a company to pay for it.

And congrats!

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That's the maddening feedback loop. I got an MBA because I was told I needed it. While working on it, they moved me up beyond the level where the job descriptions asked for it. It did make a difference when I changed companies to be fair, but I still feel like an idiot for not waiting for a company to pay for it.

And congrats!

Thanks! That wasnt meant to be a subtle fish for a compliment, even though reading back, it probably sounds like one.

Yeah, i'm of the mindset that there's probably not much real world value in an MBA right now for me. I feel like in business, if you dont get it soon after you get your undergrad, its kind of just a paper transaction for "promotion" possibilities. . If you've been functioning in a management capacity for a while, the experience is going to teach you more than the MBA program will, in my opinion.

Now, that being said, I'm in the process of getting my company to help pay for my Lean Black Belt, because i think certification programs like that (and PMP, for example) provide value as they are a focused event that in my opinion, are applicable even in the later stages of careers. You don't just 'pick up' six sigma as you go, like you would some marketing ideas, etc. The problem is, our reimbursement program is a little archaic, and it requires actual enrollment, which these certificates dont actually fit into.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Thanks! That wasnt meant to be a subtle fish for a compliment, even though reading back, it probably sounds like one.

Yeah, i'm of the mindset that there's probably not much real world value in an MBA right now for me. I feel like in business, if you dont get it soon after you get your undergrad, its kind of just a paper transaction for "promotion" possibilities. . If you've been functioning in a management capacity for a while, the experience is going to teach you more than the MBA program will, in my opinion.

Now, that being said, I'm in the process of getting my company to help pay for my Lean Black Belt, because i think certification programs like that (and PMP, for example) provide value as they are a focused event that in my opinion, are applicable even in the later stages of careers. You don't just 'pick up' six sigma as you go, like you would some marketing ideas, etc. The problem is, our reimbursement program is a little archaic, and it requires actual enrollment, which these certificates dont actually fit into.

Certs are industry standard for me. We have similar requirements, but I was able to clear it up with one chat with HR and the understanding that they only reimburse for steps toward a tangible goal. They weren't much help?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have thought about a PhD quite a few times... was even provisionally offered a studentship to be paid to do one.

But for now I think that ship has passed. Unless I one day decide to go back into academia and teach or something... or just do one on sport and crime in my spare time one day (but by spare time I mean I would not be able to work more than ~3 days a week or so to even think about it). Just not that necessary for the next few years/maybe ever in sports for development field.

I enjoy studying and University. But would be way less fun/harder to do again without being sports team member... and without much partying. :laugh:

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I have thought about a PhD quite a few times... was even provisionally offered a studentship to be paid to do one.

But for now I think that ship has passed. Unless I one day decide to go back into academia and teach or something... or just do one on sport and crime in my spare time one day (but by spare time I mean I would not be able to work more than ~3 days a week or so to even think about it). Just not that necessary for the next few years/maybe ever in sports for development field.

I enjoy studying and University. But would be way less fun/harder to do again without being sports team member... and without much partying. :laugh:

academia is a great way to be poor. at some point you start earning money and you realize that school can be a great source to waste time.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

And congrats!

My brother after getting bachelors from Jefferson, after 2 yrs, his job paid for his master's all online at Ashford university.

A free master's

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Well good luck with the self-torture.

My class, starting formally on Sunday, is Ethical Hacking. This current form of the class was a grad class, that they reclassified as undergrad and replaced the undergrad class with. It lets grad students take the course for way cheaper and they can still apparently count it towards their masters.

Except here I am suddenly loaded with a f***ing grad school course load by surprise. I learned this shit yesterday. And there is no avoiding it, no other version I can take. I'm not pleased.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
academia is a great way to be poor. at some point you start earning money and you realize that school can be a great source to waste time.

In Europe it pays pretty well depending on background. Like lecturing and research is a nice pay packet. But tbh I am not too money oriented as a person (or would have gone into Law!)... so unless it would help going forward with sport and development roles/expertise dont see where it fits in right now. Though maybe one day a "Dr." in front of my name in something related to sport helps get more opportunities or consultancy/paid speaker roles! Though that is probably ~5 years away from thinking about... and can likely be done without.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
In Europe it pays pretty well depending on background. Like lecturing and research is a nice pay packet. But tbh I am not too money oriented as a person (or would have gone into Law!)... so unless it would help going forward with sport and development roles/expertise dont see where it fits in right now. Though maybe one day a "Dr." in front of my name in something related to sport helps get more opportunities or consultancy/paid speaker roles! Though that is probably ~5 years away from thinking about... and can likely be done without.

what would you get your phd in?

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad