OT: 70th Obsequious Banter Thread: Hart asked the number to change to 79; we said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I didnt know you were such a big fan of the OG backstreet boys

no doubt they dabbled in Bubblegum, but then they decided to not do that and made music that blended the best of commercial appeal with challenging art. Others have done this since no doubt , but none have done it so successfully.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
no doubt they dabbled in Bubblegum, but then they decided to not do that and made music that blended the best of commercial appeal with challenging art. Others have done this since no doubt , but none have done it so successfully.

Didnt say it was bad music per se (though not my tastes, to be sure), but it's not nearly as good as most give it credit for, in my opinion.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Didnt say it was bad music per se (though not my tastes, to be sure), but it's not nearly as good as most give it credit for, in my opinion.

may i ask what your taste is?

I grew up on the Beatles and Motown. Imo that should be everyone's introduction to pop music . You see how music has evolved chronologically from those two styles tremendously. Obviously everyone has different tastes and opinions, but I for the most part have rarely found people who do not like Motown or The beatles. I kind of feel like they are just the backbone of today's pop music.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
may i ask what your taste is?

I grew up on the Beatles and Motown. Imo that should be everyone's introduction to pop music . You see how music has evolved chronologically from those two styles tremendously. Obviously everyone has different tastes and opinions, but I for the most part have rarely found people who do not like Motown or The beatles. I kind of feel like they are just the backbone of today's pop music.

So I want to be extremely clear and upfront here, to avoid the inevitable "lol, this guy doesnt even play in a band, and he thinks he can talk music", or whatever ridiculous strawman gets constructed out of this (and not necessarily by you, to be clear). I have no formal musical training. I think I took 2 music classes in college as electives, music theory, and I can't even remember the other. I probably slept through 99% of the classes I even bothered to show up for. So this is 100% opinion, and I'm fully cognizant that I'm definitely in the minority here.

Now that we've got that out of the way - my musical tastes vary wildly. There isn't much that I won't listen to, it just mostly depends on the mood I am in and what I am doing. There Theres plenty of stuff I listen to that is definitely not 'good' music, but it speaks to me and I connect to it, and that's what matters to me - and in the grand scheme of things, what makes music so special. My tastes tend to lean to a little more of the modern side, though. Theres no band that I can list that I listen to that wont be met with a "lol at liking x but not the Beatles", and I dont know that its necessarily an invalid criticism. If you're asking for my favorite? I'd probably say Pearl Jam.

I don't disagree about the Beatles being a gateway so to speak for pop music. I'm not sure where music would be without them (though I imagine, potentially a similar place, but just with a different t band leading the charge). I'm not downplaying their impact on music, or that they weren't good musicians. Just that I don't think they're quite the gods they tend to be worshipped as, that's all.

Reactions: Jtown

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Avoid Springsteen like the plague. Being this close to Jersey by proximity its necessary to retain one's sanity.

A long time ago in a scene faraway I was in a wedding band that was paid to play Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" in its entirety.
To this day I curse the sequencing of that album because by the time we to "Saturday Night's Alright..." the grandmother on the bride's side was drunk enough to decide to settle an old score with her long divorced former husband and his much younger girlfriend/mistress who he'd oh so mistakenly brought to the ceremony.....

Chaos reigned. Tables were flipped. Champagne was tossed.

Ive been in burning venues that felt less volatile than that. We were able to get ourselves and the light instruments out of there but my beloved Moog ws lost forever due to...champagne in the circuits/keys.
Our drummers old school Gretsch was completely destroyed. Used as projectiles by the combatants.
He quit music after that. Went back to school and became an engineer.

The irony is by the time we actually started the song..it was technically Sunday:laugh::laugh:

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Avoid Springsteen like the plague. Being this close to Jersey by proximity its necessary to retain one's sanity.

A long time ago in a scene faraway I was in a wedding band that was paid to play Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" in its entirety.
To this day I curse the sequencing of that album because by the time we to "Saturday Night's Alright..." the grandmother on the bride's side was drunk enough to decide to settle an old score with her long divorced former husband and his much younger girlfriend/mistress who he'd oh so mistakenly brought to the ceremony.....

Chaos reigned. Tables were flipped. Champagne was tossed.

Ive been in burning venues that felt less volatile than that. We were able to get ourselves and the light instruments out of there but my beloved Moog ws lost forever due to...champagne in the circuits/keys.
Our drummers old school Gretsch was completely destroyed. Used as projectiles by the combatants.
He quit music after that. Went back to school and became an engineer.

The irony is by the time we actually started the song..it was technically Sunday:laugh::laugh:

The song is better with billy.

Reactions: Lotusflower

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
We went the Creepy Adult Disney Fan route and did Whole New World. I taught my wife to waltz a month before and figured that would be fine, but once we started practicing a couple days before the wedding it became clear that a slow shuffling waltz wasn't gonna work so it had to get a bit livelier.

My favorite wedding song was having I'd Do Anything For Love as our cake cutting song. The vast majority of the crowd didn't react. The three other Meat Loaf fans we know stood out because they were pumped. That was pleasing because I threw that in there specifically for them.
Go figure “Beef” likes “Meatloaf”

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Elton John: I Need You to Turn To
Bruce Springsteen: She's the One
The Beatles: In My Life (cliche)
Cigarettes After Sex: Nothing's Gonna Hurt You Baby
George Harrison: What is Life
Led Zep: Thank You (great one, didn't think about that at first)
The Beatles: Til There Was You

Thank You would be a great one. If the sun refused to shine, I'd still be loving you. And there's some theatrics to the music too, would be a great one to choreo I feel like

If I ever, ever get married (and I am still - in my late 20s - not sure if I can do that), I had You are my best friend by Queen in my mind for the longest time

Reactions: DancingPanther

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Re: Wedding Songs

My wife picked out our first dance song and chose Edith Piaff, which is fine since my wife is french and was leaving behind her life in France.

But for the bridal party dance we picked out a song we both really just bonded over. It just so happened that it was a Pixies song about hobos riding boxcars and apparently dying in an earthquake according to the guy who wrote the song while still in high school. So, yeah.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
If I ever, ever get married (and I am still - in my late 20s - not sure if I can do that), I had You are my best friend by Queen in my mind for the longest time
I always thought that Freddie wrote that for a lover of his. Turns out the drummer, who’s name escapes me, wrote it as a wedding present to his wife, if I read it right.

Reactions: kudymen

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

I got Pour some sugar on me and Penetration by Iggy Pop and the stooges ready on standby for my shotgun wedding.

But in all seriousness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad