Prospect Info: #70 Danil Misyul D

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I know it is dark times but Misyul looks every bit the part of a top 4 defensemen today against Sweden. Uses his excellent skating to jump in the rush, plays physical and makes a good first pass. I didnt see him get to use his shot but it's apparently raw but very hard, a potential plus skill in the future. He was Russia's best player from what I saw and was also their player of the game. He is miles ahead of Okhotyuk at this point.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
For those of you who have not gotten a chance to watch the WJC, Misyul was just outstanding again today in Russia's victory over Team Sweden. His skating is really impressive, he's physical and he's very sound and smart with the puck. Positionally strong in his own zone. I would go so far as to say that he was Russia's second best defenseman after Romanov.

Comparatively, he looked like a far better prospect than similarly-styled Swedish defensemen Philip Broberg and Tobias Bjornfot, both of whom were drafted in the first round.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Very excited for him.

The KHL contract thing may actually be a bit of a blessing for the Devils if he can develop well there. Saves us from having to develop him at the NHL/AHL level and allows us to put resources toward other players.

I'm hoping that when he makes the jump he's going to be NHL-ready. Just will need some time to acclimate to the NHL game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He was excellent two years ago, it is a slower game on big ice. You have a lot more time and skating is a massive asset allowing you to skate it out of trouble.
Plus defending on the large ice is far more about boxing teams into the corners than it is about clogging up lanes and establishing body position like the NHL is.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
He really reminded me of Severson watching him today.

Not an apt comparison, in my book. They have virtually nothing in common except they are both defensemen in the Devils organization. Though they have similar abilities with the puck -- both good but not great passers and shooters -- Misyul is light years better without it than Severson was at the same age. Misyul is far better positionally in his zone, much tougher to beat one-on-one. Misyul has a higher compete level and plays with more physicality and edge. A better comparison for Misyul would probably be a 19-year old Josh Morrissey.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Not an apt comparison, in my book. They have virtually nothing in common except they are both defensemen in the Devils organization. Though they have similar abilities with the puck -- both good but not great passers and shooters -- Misyul is light years better without it than Severson was at the same age. Misyul is far better positionally in his zone, much tougher to beat one-on-one. Misyul has a higher compete level and plays with more physicality and edge. A better comparison for Misyul would probably be a 19-year old Josh Morrissey.

Again, not a sweeping comparison of the two. In the game played today between Russia and Sweden there were times when he looked like Sevs. They way he skated, the choices he made, his general demeanor just reminded me of Severson. I'm not saying they are similar players.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Game against Traktor today

- part 1
- part 2

Good defensive game. Very patient.

And... I don`t like transitional game and how he works with the puck. For now it is very limited potential. There is a border between him and Okhotiuk for now. Okhotiuk has good start and help with transition, can join the rush because of speed, is good enough with the puck in defensive zone. Misul is very good positionally, but isn`t as attractive on the boards(no one is as attractive on the boards as Okhotiuk), useless with the puck.

I understand it is only beggining of the season, but guy didn`t develope what he should develope. I think he will sign another two year deal(and it would be better for him, may be if he will lose the spot, than we can talk again). But for now he isn`t NHL ready and doesnt look like he has real upside.

I understand that after this, Misyul`s stocks will fall, although they were not high anyway. But even with a good defensive game, in the NHL it is very important to be useful with the puck on the stick. Shakir was heavily scolded for this, and now we see that Shakir has significantly improved this aspect of the game.

I will return to Daniil after some time. Next one is Zakhar Bardakov.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Well solid add for Utica with a stretch chance at making the NHL in the future if he transitions to NA well.

Utica LD is looking pretty good for next season

Wotherspoon
Vilen
Vukojevic
Misyul

(Groleau?-rfa)
(Hayes?-rfa)
(Hatakka?-rfa)

And then have Nemec and Walsh at RD

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It is called "KHL contract expiry date" aka the 1st of May. :)

Draft+4 years is pretty usual waiting time, not sure why it got you that desperate.
It’s probably more that he’s a Russian with a slim chance at ever making the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad