GDT: [#7] Dallas Stars @ Columbus Blue Jackets, 6:00 PM CST (FS-SW) - All aboard the Laine welcome wagon

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I love Razor, but I definitely need breaks from him. He's a big personality and after a while I wish I could tune him down a few notches

Reactions: Kcb12345

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Idk Stars without Razor would be like the Canes now without Forslund . It just wouldn't be the same.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Razor is the voice of the Stars. He sometimes says dumb shit but i'm entertained most of the time and his voice isn't annoying. He wasn't good as PbB ( especially not with Ludwig as color that was dreadful ) but he's good as color guy. Stars broadcast is easily in my personal top 5 from around the league .

Does he say some wrong stuff ? Yeah so do all of the broadcast teams and alot of them are much worse . If i want to go in depth with numbers i'm not getting that on the TV broadcast anyway.

Good god that was brutal!

I like Razor. I don't get upset by him getting some stuff wrong (I usually don't notice it until someone on here rages about it). He is a homer like most commentators but he does show a genuine appreciation for some of the other teams players, like Seth Jones. Also, he doesn't get the name of the plays on the Stars wrong, which can't be said for all comentators...

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I watched CBJ broadcast last night, wasn't great but it's better than Josh + Razor from a studio

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I will say he let go on one of his jokes last night and my said that it sounded scripted, which of course, it was.

Given his style is based on odd jokes and funny sayings, I would say he had a bad off season, because his getting game ready is to be pun ready with some new ones.

I once asked a college professor why our degree program was only four years. His answer was that 4 years is what it took for students to rotate among all professors, and hear anything they had to teach or say without them repeating their material.

We know its true of coaches, beginning to wonder if it is true of announcers? Or, broadcasts in general. FoxSW (Bally) really hasn't upped their game with about the same presentation for years now. Maybe more advanced stats, scores and highlights around the league in game, in game interviews, mic up players, whatever. While the games are good, not so sure the broadcasts couldn't use some upgrades.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
idk why you hate on him so much. you want a boring af hockey nerd color guy? there's plenty of those to go around.
razor is highly entertaining, and i'll take some of the bombastic flair and a slightly incorrect backstory about a player to get that entertainment value any day of the week.

I want someone who says accurate information, not someone who when the camera zooms on two players talking pretends to know what they are talking about and creates false stories. Not someone who says false information about a players background. Not someone who says false information on player usage. Not someone who is confused about players getting thrown out/warned in the faceoff circle.

His job is to watch the game and speak about it.

But half the time he is clueless as to what is going on on the ice. That is annoying to listen to.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I want someone who says accurate information, not someone who when the camera zooms on two players talking pretends to know what they are talking about and creates false stories. Not someone who says false information about a players background. Not someone who says false information on player usage. Not someone who is confused about players getting thrown out/warned in the faceoff circle.

But half the time he is clueless as to what is going on on the ice. That is annoying to listen to.

You're not getting that anywhere in a local TV broadcast anyway especially with the local crews for US teams. I'll take the ones that entertain me over super boring ones .

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South

this is hilariously over the top... false info on player background? usage? a slight misspeak or understanding from jones being coached by a figure skater vs taking figure skating lessons.. like that's really earthshattering. and, 'every other shift for the FCC line,' OMG it wasn't literally every other shift, gawd, if i can't trust the commentator to tell me what i'm seeing, what's the use tuning in??

and 'pretends to know what they're talking about.' you realize the guy actually played in the nhl, right? he's not some internet message board hack that doesn't know their way beyond corsi.

i bet some of the issue the hard core fans (and you, it appears) have with him is that he doesn't take every second of each game as seriously as they do. he has a different perspective, having played, and being so close to the game for so many years.

his job is not just to watch the game and speak about it.. his job is to keep the casual fan engaged.. hockey nerds like us will tune in regardless.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I like the Stars crew, but whenever I get the chance I listen to a different broadcast. I think we all get irritated sometimes by them cause that's just what happens when you listen to the same people talk over and over again. Would be the same for any other team I'd guess too if you follow them regularly. Hey, could always be worse. Could have the Avs announcers lmao

Reactions: eartotheground

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Intermissions are for extended toilet breaks and maybe making some food or drinks .

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Good god that was brutal!

I like Razor. I don't get upset by him getting some stuff wrong (I usually don't notice it until someone on here rages about it). He is a homer like most commentators but he does show a genuine appreciation for some of the other teams players, like Seth Jones. Also, he doesn't get the name of the plays on the Stars wrong, which can't be said for all comentators...
The pBp announcer for Chicago last week was calling Janmark on his breakaway goal Jarnkrok, they were playing Nashville though.

Reactions: JeffP and Kipper 17

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Following up on my own post, but woke up this morning thinking about it. I believe Razor did a Razor's edge on the need for the NHL as a whole to up its content in broadcasting, and again, I agree it couldn't hurt. Yes, they probably realize that the 2% of us who love hockey aren't leaving because of broadcasts, but I wonder if they might double their audience with better broadcasts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad