Prospect Info: #7 - Clayton Keller

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There's a half dozen prominent freshmen entering BU's program this year. The minutes available may not meet expectations and coupled with a course load which may at some point not be as appealing as a 7 digit contract come mid-terms or finals. Keep offer there for agent and see what happens.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
McAvoy is the only one on Keller's level. Not worried about CK7 getting put on the 4th line unless he plays himself there.

Also, we need to trade Stone so that we can call the kid CK26

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Well, I'm guessing Stone will be gone by the time Keller gets his chance to play himself onto the NHL roster. I can't imagine Stone re-signs with us after this season, not that I'd be too disappointed if he did (if he improves defensively)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
McAvoy is the only one on Keller's level. Not worried about CK7 getting put on the 4th line unless he plays himself there.

It would be easier if you just changed your handle to CK7

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Probably but University programs tend to allocate minutes based on tenure as much as talent at times. We don't know if Keller will get 15-20 mins/night with 1st unit PP and PK duties or closer to 12-15 minutes per night. I suspect give number of freshmen and talent level of Keller that he's fine but better to know of a potential issue up front so we aren't blinded if he changes paths later in the year.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
It is. The NDTP U-18 team typically plays most of its games against NCAA and USHL teams. Here's their full schedule. They count as exhibition games for the NCAA teams (and I think the USHL teams too).

Like the game against PEI in which Keller had a hat trick, this was preseason for BU. BU's real season starts Saturday. Worth noting the USNTDP continues to play other college programs throughout the year, and those don't count toward the NCAA standings, even though the season will have begun by then.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Two periods in the books, it's Denver U Pioneers 4-1 Boston U Terriers, in Colorado, and Keller is having about as good a game as BU in general. He's been on a line with Keiffer Bellows (NYI 16) and Jordan Greenway (MIN 15) and kinda not much has happened. The speed is there and the wrist shot is there, but the jam isn't. Can't blame any of the GA on Keller, but he was on the scene and doing the Matador Defense on DU's third. Just lots of stickhanding into alleys and lots of not-back checking from our guy tonight. Ugh.

Dante Fabbro (NSH 16) and Chuck McAvoy (BOS 16) are having off nights too ... blown assignments, bad passes. Brandon Hickey (CGY 14) looks good on the BU blue line, and I think he got credited with the BU goal. BU generally look disorganized and slaptastic. Henrik Borgstrom (FLA 16) looks really solid, really smooth for DU.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Keller added an "I'm just faster than you getting to a loose puck"-style SHG in the third (coach started putting him on the PK at the end of the second) but the rest of this stands. Kid can fly and has unbelievable hands. The rest of his game was very, very believable.

RoughEmUp

Sep 5, 2007
FWIW- BU STH here...
That break away against Denver was against Will Butcher, one of the best defenseman in the country.

Overall, Keller has looked a little frustrated. I think he is used to having his way, even against older players, and he really hasn't dominated yet. There is obvious speed and flash, but I think he needs more time to gel with line mates. Recently moved away from Kiefer Bellows and skating with Jordan Greenway and Patrick Harper. But it's really only been about three weeks of official practices. Even so, Keller obviously thinks the game at a very high level and has filthy hands, especially round the net. If he settles in with a couple linemates, I think we see great production as the season progresses. It's early, even in the CHL!

Some of you guys might want to embrace the NCAA players a bit more- they aren't going away and represent some of the best talent in the world. At any given time, Keller will be on the ice with 3, 4, or 5 teammates who are also NHL draft picks (BU has 11 draft picks). On most nights, he will be matched up against similarly drafted opponents. Further, Keller has to play against high end talent comparable to the CHL, but the rest of NCAA lineups are not populated by 16/17 year old kids who weigh 150 pounds. Instead, there are 22,23 year olds who are more physically mature, more experienced, and play a more NHL style game. Many NCAA programs, and certainly BU, are highly regarded for their preparation of players headed to the NHL. Windsor, London, et al. can suck it. It's become a yearly tradition for some CHL GM to start spreading rumors about NCAA players defecting to Canada. Whiners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->