Prospect Info: #7 Capitals Top Prospects 2020 Quarantine Update

Who is the #7 Capitals Top Prospect Spring 2020?

• Kody Clark

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eric Florchuk

• Tobias Geisser

• Shane Gersirch

• Mitchell Gibson

• Connor Hobbs

• Lucas Johansen

• Alex Kannok-Leiper

• Garrett Pilon

• Brian Pinho

• Joe Snively

• Riley Sutter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
8481580.jpg

1) Connor McMichael C (12 votes 52.1%) Prospect Info: - #1 Capitals Top Prospects 2020 Quarantine Update
5' 11" | 174 lb | Age: 18 | 2019 WSH, 1st rd, 25th pk (25th overall)
(previous ranking #3)

mf-2-jpg.244935

2) Martin Fehervary LD (21 votes 77.8%) Prospect Info: - #2 Capitals Top Prospects 2020 Quarantine Update
6' 2" | 194 lb | Age: 19 | 2018 WSH, 2nd rd, 15th pk (46th overall)
(previous ranking #4)

webp-net-resizeimage-jpg.244495

3) Alex Alexeyev LD (22 votes 81.5%) Prospect Info: - #3 Capitals Top Prospects 2020 Quarantine Update
6' 4" | 196 lb | Age: 19 | 2018 WSH, 1st rd, 31st pk (31st overall)
(previous ranking #2)
protas-jpg.247753

4) Aliaksei Protas C (25 votes 89.2%) Prospect Info: - #4 Capitals Top Prospects 2020 Quarantine Update
6' 5" | 205 lb | Age: 18 | 2019 WSH, 3rd rd, 29th pick (91st overall)
(previous ranking #13)

8477970.jpg

5) Vitek Vanecek G (10 votes 45.5%) Prospect Info: - #5 Capitals Top Prospects 2020 Quarantine Update
6' 1" | 187 lb | Age: 23 | 2014 WSH, 2nd rd, 9th pk (39th overall)
(previous ranking #7)

download.png

6) Bobby Nardella LD (9 votes 50.0%) Prospect Info: - #6 Capitals Top Prospects 2020 Quarantine Update
5' 9" | 180 lb | Age: 23 | 2019 WSH signed, undrafted
(previous rank #unranked)

Alright guys!

Since all of us are getting a little antsy stuck at home with no hockey, I thought maybe it's a good idea to get into some real hockey discussion again to take our minds off of the more sobering things happening in the world around us today.

And with most of the minor/junior leagues suspended and/or cancelled, it's TIME.....

for the CAPITALS TOP PROSPECTS 2020 Quarantine Update!!

Going to be voted upon again by the most knowledgeable hockey fan base in history.. YOU!

Since we're not sure when we'll have hockey again, let's add to the discussion on who you voted for, what is your estimated date of arrival to the big leagues NHL (if at all), and your realistic expectations for that prospect and how they would fit with the Capitals. Or anything else regarding these prospects.

Again, to be eligible for the poll, player must be 25 years or younger and has played no more than 25 NHL games.

If there is someone I missed in the poll or you think should be added, please post about it below.

I'll leave the polls open for 3 days due to the excessive amount of time we have to kill.. I'll see how it goes and may lengthen or shorten the time if necessary.

I'll post up the winner in the following Top Prospect thread.

VOTE 2020

(you can see that I'm very very bored)

Edit: Switching the poll to 2 days instead of 3

Last edited:

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
And Nardella goes from unranked and undrafted free agent to top prospect #6!

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Was this past season for Leason really just a hiccup and not a cause for concern?

What makes me worry is that the real blip in the radar for Leason seems to be his last year in the WHL as an overager.

2016-2017 WHL - 8 goals 10 assists 18 points in 68 games
2017-2018 WHL - 16 goals 17 assists 33 points in 66 games
2018-2019 WHL - 36 goals 53 assists 89 points in 55 games

2019-2020 AHL - 3 goals 11 assists 14 points in 50 games

Reactions: Futures Passed

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
What makes me worry is that the real blip in the radar for Leason seems to be his last year in the WHL as an overager.

Not to be pedantic but he wasn’t an overager last year, he was one year past his first draft year.

Overagers have either completed 4 CHL seasons or turn 20 before the end of the calendar year the season begins in. Teams are limited to 3 overagers on their roster.

Your point definitely still stands though.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It should be Malenstyn. Dude made his NHL debut earlier this season.

I think it depends on how you rank prospects. Malenstyn has NHL potential but his best case scenario seems to be an effective 4th liner. Does that rank about someone like Leason, who likely has a lower floor than Malenstyn but could be a middle six winger if he pans out? Not for me, at least not right now.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I think it depends on how you rank prospects. Malenstyn has NHL potential but his best case scenario seems to be an effective 4th liner. Does that rank about someone like Leason, who likely has a lower floor than Malenstyn but could be a middle six winger if he pans out? Not for me, at least not right now.
Yeah I get where you're coming from. Leason has just been a big disappointment this year. Hopefully he makes a big jump next season, similar to his career arc in the WHL.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Leason seem to be a hardworking guy. If he redoes Beagles career, it will be ok for me.

By the way I do not get how someone prioritize at some point an AHL point scorer with 0.00000% NHL future and a second later says it should be a guy who can make it to the NHL despite his awful AHL production.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Leason seem to be a hardworking guy. If he redoes Beagles career, it will be ok for me.

By the way I do not get how someone prioritize at some point an AHL point scorer with 0.00000% NHL future and a second later says it should be a guy who can make it to the NHL despite his awful AHL production.
I'm going to assume you are indirectly calling out myself (shocker) so I'll address your analysis.

Assuming player A is Nardella (AHL point scorer), you clearly haven't seen too many of his games or highlights and your constant mud slinging insults indicate you are threatened by how well he has done so far. Maybe a threat to your boy Fever who doesn't seem to have the same offensive skill set? If Nardella keeps it up, he will have an NHL career. As I've said countless other times he has had to work for his spot in the lineup since he was healthy scratched for the first 10-15 games of the season and as soon as he got into the lineup he hasn't come out. Undrafted free agent outplaying the likes of 1st and 2nd round picks but, hey he doesn't have an NHL future :dunno: because he's 4'9" right? Definitely not countless examples of smaller players dominating in today's NHL.

Assuming player B is Malenstyn (Awful AHL production), another player you seemingly love to hate on despite the fact that he indeed in an elite defensive forward and penalty killer and has been since he has come into the league. He is a closer player to Beagle than Leason is for the hardwork he brings each and every shift, his forechecking game, and his penalty killing ability. Plus, he has gotten 3 NHL games already in his career, including time on the PK as a rookie. He's a smart player with a bright future and can easily be a 4th line player as early as next season. He fits the mold of the way the Capitals have played since Todd took over. Oh and he has more points in less games than Leason and has doubled Leason's goal scoring total with zero top 6 ice time.

As to why I chose Nardella before Malenstyn. Nardella has had a very large impact on the success Hershey has had this season and has had to outwork every other defensive player around him. He's currently 6th on the team in scoring despite playing around 20 less games than everyone above him on the list besides Sgarbossa and has kept pace with the production of Djoos, a current NHL player. You can't discount that type of point production. He got the slight edge over Malenstyn for that reason.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I'm going to assume you are indirectly calling out myself (shocker) so I'll address your analysis.

Assuming player A is Nardella (AHL point scorer), you clearly haven't seen too many of his games or highlights and your constant mud slinging insults indicate you are threatened by how well he has done so far. Maybe a threat to your boy Fever who doesn't seem to have the same offensive skill set? If Nardella keeps it up, he will have an NHL career. As I've said countless other times he has had to work for his spot in the lineup since he was healthy scratched for the first 10-15 games of the season and as soon as he got into the lineup he hasn't come out. Undrafted free agent outplaying the likes of 1st and 2nd round picks but, hey he doesn't have an NHL future :dunno: because he's 4'9" right? Definitely not countless examples of smaller players dominating in today's NHL.

Assuming player B is Malenstyn (Awful AHL production), another player you seemingly love to hate on despite the fact that he indeed in an elite defensive forward and penalty killer and has been since he has come into the league. He is a closer player to Beagle than Leason is for the hardwork he brings each and every shift, his forechecking game, and his penalty killing ability. Plus, he has gotten 3 NHL games already in his career, including time on the PK as a rookie. He's a smart player with a bright future and can easily be a 4th line player as early as next season. He fits the mold of the way the Capitals have played since Todd took over. Oh and he has more points in less games than Leason and has doubled Leason's goal scoring total with zero top 6 ice time.

As to why I chose Nardella before Malenstyn. Nardella has had a very large impact on the success Hershey has had this season and has had to outwork every other defensive player around him. He's currently 6th on the team in scoring despite playing around 20 less games than everyone above him on the list besides Sgarbossa and has kept pace with the production of Djoos, a current NHL player. You can't discount that type of point production. He got the slight edge over Malenstyn for that reason.

Watching hockey in real time can induce you to some recurrent errors like being unable to count correctly players on the ice. 50% of Nardellas points are scored on the dead awful Hershey PP. So, Nardellas points has a strong negative value. Alexeyev was a better point scorer than Nardella at EV. Nardella is three years older and 2'5'' shorter. It is smart to say, Nardell has absolutely no chance to play in NHL.

If you read my posts you know, I do appreciate Malenstyn. But his point production is disqualifying for an NHL forward. As he is two years older than Leason, he is behind him in my list.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Watching hockey in real time can induce you to some recurrent errors like being unable to count correctly players on the ice. 50% of Nardellas points are scored on the dead awful Hershey PP. So, Nardellas points has a strong negative value. Alexeyev was a better point scorer than Nardella at EV. Nardella is three years older and 2'5'' shorter. It is smart to say, Nardell has absolutely no chance to play in NHL.
Alex DeBrincat, Brad Marchand, Viktor Arvidsson, Jared Spurgeon, Johnny Gaudreau, Tyler Johnson, Cam Atkinson, Conor Sheary, Mats Zuccarello, Johnathan Marchessault, Torey Krug are all 5' 9" and SMALLER and all have had successful NHL careers. Size doesn't matter anymore in today's NHL as long as guys can skate well. Nardella does just that. So continue with your no NHL chance BS all you want. Also, who gives a shit if half his points are on the PP. He vastly improved the PP. I don't see Caps fans bitching about Ovechkin and how he has a ton of PP points in his career.

If you read my posts you know, I do appreciate Malenstyn. But his point production is disqualifying for an NHL forward. As he is two years older than Leason, he is behind him in my list.
Malenstyn's role isn't to put up points but you already knew that. Continue spewing your usual nonsense

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Alex DeBrincat, Brad Marchand, Viktor Arvidsson, Jared Spurgeon, Johnny Gaudreau, Tyler Johnson, Cam Atkinson, Conor Sheary, Mats Zuccarello, Johnathan Marchessault, Torey Krug are all 5' 9" and SMALLER and all have had successful NHL careers. Size doesn't matter anymore in today's NHL as long as guys can skate well. Nardella does just that. So continue with your no NHL chance BS all you want. Also, who gives a shit if half his points are on the PP. He vastly improved the PP. I don't see Caps fans bitching about Ovechkin and how he has a ton of PP points in his career.

Malenstyn's role isn't to put up points but you already knew that. Continue spewing your usual nonsense

Comparing Nardella to Marchand is the joke of the day. Keep going with your BS, I am out.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Are you having an argument with yourself or am I missing something? I think I only have one person on ignore and going back to about 2 PM yesterday I see 4 posts in a row spread out over time fairly decently by you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad