Post-Game Talk: #7 - 10/22/19 | coyotes @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Rongos gonna Rongo. ****ing yay

As a side note, Kakko having the 3rd lowest TOI in the game (over 3.5 mins less than Howden for example) is absurdly bad coaching. Lias getting just 7:34 (18 seconds more than his season low) is beyond stupid. I'm rapidly losing pretty much all faith in Quinn's ability to coach this team.
This is the only thing that bothers me at this point. But I think it'll work out. There were a good few nonsense penalties to kill too. Particularly in the beginning. It's hard to deploy players when constantly on special teams.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kakko was sloth like tonight. he didnt do much and so he didnt play

please tell me what howden does and im serious really help me

staal is bad.

im gonna get eviscerated for this but ryan strome played well again

chad not playing while howden does is a crime against humanity

didnt love panarin tonight. He need to hit the net
Strome was good this game. I voted him as one of the stars though maybe just because there was so little to choose from.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
the problem is the room. Kreider, Buchnevich, Staal and Skjei just. Don't. Really. Care.

Other teams aren't like this. I watch them. They stick up for each other (FOR REAL, not bs lay on them like Skjei the other night on Hall) and get mad when they're getting clowned on. These guys don't. Lotta paychecks being cashed.

YES! Ive been on this since the start of the season. These are the guys that have to go immediately. They are toxic to young players and clearly are not leaders. It’s so frustrating watching Kreider underperform and take “the easy” way every single game. He refuses to make any difficult play. Brady just was never as good as he appeared and Staal is shot.

I thought the comment Joe made about how Phoenix has turned to corner because finally the younger guys on the team can take accountability was so revealing to how a rebuild works. Most of these guys are so young they can’t even be responsible enough to legally drink so it’s awfully hard for them to speak up and hold each other accountable for anything! The veterans need to hold people accountable and this leadership core is pathetic. It’s been over 2 seasons and still no captain— that’s all you need to know!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
My only question is what happened to the relentless pursuit and hassle Panarin showed in the first two games? How many possessions he lost in the first half of the game? That gaping empty net he missed was unacceptable (Lemieux missing the net by a foot is also not acceptable from an NHLer)

I agree with splitting Panarin - Zibanejad. Let at least one of them face lesser opposition and provide more creativity deeper in the lineup.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Lemieux - Lias - Fast
Smith - Nieves - McKegg

Howden to AHL.

PalmCoastRanger

Jun 21, 2019
yall dont want to hear this but the team needs 2 gritty mcgrits to get their motors running (who can actually play top-9 roles). think callahan/dubinsky

That was supposed to be Kreider's and to a much lesser extent Buchnevich's job, but well... Last night both those players played flat footed or simply stopped skating. What can a coach do?

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
He prepares a game plan, puts the system in place and it's up to the players to execute it on the ice. If you are saying they are tuning him out that's one thing but it's not up to him to do much other than allocate ice time in a reward/punishment for poor executing for motivation. Hes not gonna stand in front of them with pom poms and make them skate. These guys have to get off their asses and play.

Normally I would agree that it almost always falls on the players except something is not right here. The players are too young to hold each other accountable and the veterans are not playing well enough to hold anyone accountable. So that makes it nearly impossible for them to say anything during the intermissions or after games that comes across with any credibility.

Second, Quinn seems to not be inspiring this group and the development of most of these players is not occurring. That's really problematic and the coach needs to take a look at his tactics. Having a bunch of young guys afraid to make mistakes is not good. He's got to have their back when they screw up and I think sometimes he's a little quick to get in their ear and remind them of their mistakes. Eventually that gets old real fast especially if it is not coming from a former NHL guy with a proven track record of success.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Normally I would agree that it almost always falls on the players except something is not right here. The players are too young to hold each other accountable and the veterans are not playing well enough to hold anyone accountable. So that makes it nearly impossible for them to say anything during the intermissions or after games that comes across with any credibility.

Second, Quinn seems to not be inspiring this group and the development of most of these players is not occurring. That's really problematic and the coach needs to take a look at his tactics. Having a bunch of young guys afraid to make mistakes is not good. He's got to have their back when they screw up and I think sometimes he's a little quick to get in their ear and remind them of their mistakes. Eventually that gets old real fast especially if it is not coming from a former NHL guy with a proven track record of success.

The same exact issues were here with Vigneault, it's why they fired him. The guys who are supposed to be leaders at this point are floundering on the ice. We clear cut this team, but some lazy/uninterested/unable pieces remain part of this leadership group ie Staal, Kreider, Smith. Those guys need to go and the sooner the better, I'm convinced they are great guys, but their work ethic or competency is running downhill. Zibanajad is the only guy competing the way the coach wants this team to compete and it shows. If there is one thing I'd hang in Quinn is that he gives the leaders too much rope, Kreider was crap since the start of the year, Staal has been crap since Quinn got here and both of them hold prominent spots in the roster. You wanna send a message, sit the two of them and give Lindgren a shot. It's long past due.

Reactions: JHS

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
The same exact issues were here with Vigneault, it's why they fired him. The guys who are supposed to be leaders at this point are floundering on the ice. We clear cut this team, but some lazy/uninterested/unable pieces remain part of this leadership group ie Staal, Kreider, Smith. Those guys need to go and the sooner the better, I'm convinced they are great guys, but their work ethic or competency is running downhill. Zibanajad is the only guy competing the way the coach wants this team to compete and it shows. If there is one thing I'd hang in Quinn is that he gives the leaders too much rope, Kreider was crap since the start of the year, Staal has been crap since Quinn got here and both of them hold prominent spots in the roster. You wanna send a message, sit the two of them and give Lindgren a shot. It's long past due.

Yup we are completely in the same camp. I want this group of "leaders" gone because with them still around it's literally setting a tone of non-compete. Young players need guys to look up to and show them how to be NHL level players night in and night out and I just don't want them learning that key piece of their development from Kreider or other similar types that just don't show much grit. I know Staal is brutal on the ice but I do think he has a proven track record of being a successful NHL guy and when he was younger, he was a tough and gritty player but he just seems so passive right now.

I would love to know who speaks up first in that room after bad periods or even good periods. If I could ask Quinn one question I'd ask, "who is the guy you pull aside and ask about the pulse of the team or the guy you want to speak first in the locker room after a rough game?" I actually don't have any idea who this person is on the team( Maybe Hank??)

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
I am also confused by the handling of Andersson so far, but not sure why everyone is up in arms over Kakko's ice time last night. He was pretty bad in the 1st period, definitely understand why his ice got cut.

Andersson has still shown me very little (doubtless his linemates play a part), although I assume he's better than Howden. As for Kakko, I've not been delighted with him by any stretch, but his ice-time was dramatically cut after his best shift as a Ranger on the PP where ADA scored. It just seemed weird.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If they scratched Staal it would be a massive step in the right direction.

it wouldn’t fix everything, but it would fix probably our biggest issue which is we’re virtually playing 4 on 5 when he’s out there. Hard to win like that.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If they scratched Staal it would be a massive step in the right direction.

it wouldn’t fix everything, but it would fix probably our biggest issue which is we’re virtually playing 4 on 5 when he’s out there. Hard to win like that.

the only way Staal won't play is because he is hurt, dead or retired. its the only way. watch the Rangers retire #18 because of games played. I can see it now lmfao ugh can he just hurt himself in practice. no one has the guts to scratch Staal. Rangers management are loyal to him, for some stupid reason

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
beating a dead horse but Staals ineptitude is pretty hard to beat at the NHL level. He’s not only horrible offensively and defensively, he plays a lot and is very bad in special teams. replacing him with a literal 6D is an upgrade in both skill level and in the fact that that dman will likely not play enough to have such a negative impact.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
People complaining about Staal is absolutely stupid. The Rangers have much bigger and longer lasting issues than Staal playing.

But yeah just keep complaining about one player instead of looking at the team as a whole.

Reactions: The S5

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
okay and those are ?
Howden getting force fed minutes when he's obviously a AHLer rn.

Skjei continues to disappoint

Kreider is a no show

Our forward Depth is complete garbage

And we have a horrible coach

Also as of right now we have 1 NHL center.

Removing Staal is like replacing a flat tire on a car with no engine.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The part that makes me cringe the most is that he seems to ALWAYS be out there with the top line. And Fox will make a nice pass over from the opposite point to Staal who is wide open and I just know nothing will happen. Offensively, the play just dies on his stick

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Staal's eye injury was a real unfortunate thing to happen to him, he hasnt been able to be the same player since and I hate bashing someone who is actually trying and God love him for being out there with the speed and strength of players with basically one eye but he needs to move on along with Kreider because they cant lead this team in the right direction because one guy cant compete and the other is pretty unsure game to game if he will. If you look at how players developed for us before they had good mentors ahead of them, Richards, St.Louis, Callahan etc. This group needs those types to learn how to be an every day pro, to compete every night. I dont know who that could be, and maybe without Staal and Kreider then Zibanajad and Trouba take more of a role in that regard I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad