Post-Game Talk: #7 - 10/22/19 | coyotes @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Andersson has still shown me very little (doubtless his linemates play a part), although I assume he's better than Howden. As for Kakko, I've not been delighted with him by any stretch, but his ice-time was dramatically cut after his best shift as a Ranger on the PP where ADA scored. It just seemed weird.

Andersson has played the whole season with zero offensive talent. Sure, he isn't out there creating his own offense but he is never going to be that player. I would like to see how he does playing with someone who can actually get a pass to him or keep offensive possession long enough for him to setup in a high scoring area.

Timing might have been weird for Kakko, but like I said, his 1st period was terrible, so looking better than that isn't much of a baseline. Sure, he got an assist on the PP, but his pass could have been made by anyone on the team.

Reactions: haveandare

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Don't think anyone hates Marc Staal the person, because he's actually a good teammates in terms of sticking up for players. Obviously not fighting, but he actually displays leadership qualities.

The on the ice player is just straight garbage at this point. Thing is, he has to know this, but no player in hockey history tells his coach to play him less.

He played the 5th most 5v5 time on defense. So, he's getting 3rd pairing assignments, but he's just bad at it. Hajek is getting fed top pair minutes that he isn't ready for Staal is the other option.

At this rate, wouldn't mind a situation where Smith subs in for him on defense and Staal sits. Play 12 forwards, like 12 real forwards, not Michael Haley.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
On a positive note, I think Adam Fox looks really good. His poise with the puck in the offensive zone is like he's a veteran and it might be even better in the defensive zone with holding it for that extra second to make a solid outlet pass. And he defends well too down low. I really like what I've seen from him all around.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
My only question is what happened to the relentless pursuit and hassle Panarin showed in the first two games? How many possessions he lost in the first half of the game? That gaping empty net he missed was unacceptable (Lemieux missing the net by a foot is also not acceptable from an NHLer)

I agree with splitting Panarin - Zibanejad. Let at least one of them face lesser opposition and provide more creativity deeper in the lineup.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Lemieux - Lias - Fast
Smith - Nieves - McKegg

Howden to AHL.

Now that's a lineup I can get behind. That 4th line isn't 100% useless either.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
The part that makes me cringe the most is that he seems to ALWAYS be out there with the top line. And Fox will make a nice pass over from the opposite point to Staal who is wide open and I just know nothing will happen. Offensively, the play just dies on his stick
Watching Staal attempt shots is like watching Shaquille O’Neal attempt 3 point shots.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Howden getting force fed minutes when he's obviously a AHLer rn.

Skjei continues to disappoint

Kreider is a no show

Our forward Depth is complete garbage

And we have a horrible coach

Also as of right now we have 1 NHL center.

Removing Staal is like replacing a flat tire on a car with no engine.

Agreed. Staal is absolutely a problem but he isn't the biggest problem. He is also a relatively short term problem.

Kreider is more problematic than Staal. We knew Staal was going to be bad. Kreider, not so much. If you want to trade him, he isn't helping his trade value. If you want to re-sign him, he isn't making a case for being deserving of a long term contract.

Also, I don't think Quinn is horrible. I would like to see what his overall system looks like if he has a different coach running the defense. I have more concerns about Lindy than I do with Quinn at the moment (that doesn't mean I don't have any for Quinn).

The other stuff will likely remedy itself as the rebuild progresses (including Staal). Beating the Staal dead horse in a year where there are no expectations of success... is futile to put it kindly.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Just checking in to read the insane Marc Staal takes.
This board did the same thing to Girardi, who went on to play a prominent role on some very good Tampa teams and, to a lesser extent, McDonagh, who continues to be one of the best shut down D in the NHL.

Reactions: CasusBelli

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Kreider is a no show

still aeons better than Staal.

yup, but he’ll pick it up sooner or later

yes, and it’s not being helped by basically forcing them to play 4 on 5 for 1/3rd of the game.

TBD, but playing Staal as much as he does kind of factors into that.

Yeah, but teams have been successful (to a point) with just 1.

Staal is a massssive issue. He isn’t a flat tire, he is a pretty big portion of an engine that doesn’t work. Removing him won’t solve everything (the forward depth will still suck) but it’ll help having the guys play on a more level playing field.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009

Kreider is a no show

Well if you replace the engine and still keep the flat tire you're not going anywhere either. You don't solve 5 problems by ignoring the 6th. Especially when it's low hanging fruit.

Giving Staal meaningful minutes sends a message that competence really doesn't matter when you reach a certain level of seniority. Beyond the obvious double-standard, it makes accountability optional since Staal is untouchable whether he looks serviceable or looks like a road cone. Young players learn more from your actions than your words as a coach. Quinn not addressing Staal's play might be the biggest of his many weaknesses as an NHL HC.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
He's had a few bad turnovers but others have done much worse

He's also looked better handling the puck in his own zone in a handful of games than Pionk did in any sample of the same number of games over his career.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
This board did the same thing to Girardi, who went on to play a prominent role on some very good Tampa teams and, to a lesser extent, McDonagh, who continues to be one of the best shut down D in the NHL.

Staal is far more washed up than Gerardi at this point in their careers. Gerardi was also protected by a better D partner and a MUCH better group of FWDs in Tampa that kept the puck in the offensive zone. If we bought out Staal he probably doesn't play again in the NHL. Apples and oranges.

Reactions: will1066

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Looks like I’m gonna have to have a sit down with Davey. #WhackRuff

OfLQuyc.jpg

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
You remove Staal (which won't happen), you remove at least one-third to half the HDSCs the team faces each night. Staal has a compounding negative effect. Even if he doesn't make a hugely bad turnover, he's pinned down, which forces his partner to be pinned down. And if he manages to get out of his own zone, it is to merely escape and not build momentum towards offense.

Last edited:

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Kakko not getting spoon fed ice time isn't the end of the world to me.

Lias being anchored to the bottom of the ocean sucks though and is annoying.

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Staal is far more washed up than Gerardi at this point in their careers. Gerardi was also protected by a better D partner and a MUCH better group of FWDs in Tampa that kept the puck in the offensive zone. If we bought out Staal he probably doesn't play again in the NHL. Apples and oranges.
You are missing the point. This board absolutely killed Girardi in his final years with the team. They are doing the same thing with Staal.
I believe that Staal would be a very serviceable third pairing D with another team....better than what most teams are rolling out their as third pair D today.
This board is also well on its way to doing the same with Skjei. The guy isn't a top pairing D, but he isn't terrible either. He makes some dumb mistakes, but if you watch other teams as closely as many watch the RAngers, you would realize that MOST D make dumb mistakes. Some absolutely stink.
Point being is that this team isn't good and won't be until the kids mature and we add some depth. With any luck, we stink it up for LaFreniere.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Don't think anyone hates Marc Staal the person, because he's actually a good teammates in terms of sticking up for players.

sticks up with a stare? He doesn’t stick up for anybody. The goalie gets trucked, a kid gets dumped, a fellow defenseman gets crushed into the boards while Staal does nothing. If he had any leadership qualities he would have been named Captain years ago. He’s never been in the radar for that honor b/. He isn’t a leader.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland

Hmmm, defended Girardi the whole time and blamed the system for his troubles and I think that I was right, but Staal is too slow to do everything, absolutely everything. That can happen physically, but lately his thought process is even slower than his skating. I don't mind him in one on one battles when his opponent is skating at him and he stands between the player and the goal. His positioning is good enough that if the play is developing slowly then he will still be difficult for a player to blow by. Aside from that, I'm not sure that he does much well anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->