Confirmed with Link: 6th round - 156OA - D Jake Massie - Kimball Union (HS-NH)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Most of these guys rarely make it far anyways. Who knows though maybe this guy will be the second coming of Brett Bellemore.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Massie is almost like the defensive version of Luke Stevens in a weird way but with a higher likelihood to realize his potential because he's already engaged and developing. He came into prep school from Quebec HS which is a pretty big jump, wasn't dominant but you could see he was coming along and has some size, footwork, a sense for the game, good athleticism. People think you're going to get obscene value as the draft goes on, I figure Massie will go into college, do his thing, if he ends up as a good-to-great college guy, he's going to have a realistic window to try and prove he's a core/depth defender at the NHL level for a while.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Massie is almost like the defensive version of Luke Stevens in a weird way but with a higher likelihood to realize his potential because he's already engaged and developing. He came into prep school from Quebec HS which is a pretty big jump, wasn't dominant but you could see he was coming along and has some size, footwork, a sense for the game, good athleticism. People think you're going to get obscene value as the draft goes on, I figure Massie will go into college, do his thing, if he ends up as a good-to-great college guy, he's going to have a realistic window to try and prove he's a core/depth defender at the NHL level for a while.

Nice write up, just wanted to clarify something about his HS hockey. Although technically it is hockey at a HS, it is in a program called sportes-etudes or sports-study in English. These are top athletes not just in hockey in the program. They are required to cover the same material as regular students but only in half a day, requiring lots of independent work and discipline, in the afternoon they train in whatever sport they are in. To remain in the program they all must carry a minimum 75% average. The hockey is run by a private group not the school itself.
The league they play in is probably just below Quebec Midget AAA. It is relatively new and is just now showing results at the NHL level, although not yet updated with this years QMJHL drafted players and NHL picks, this is their alumni list including a current Hurricane

Amorosa, T. - Providence - NHL Flyers
Armstrong, K. - Salisbury - Concordia Men
Barberio, M. - LHJMQ - NHL Tampa Bay
Biega, D. - Harvard - NHL Carolina
Biega, A. - Harvard - NHL Vancouver
Culkin, R. - LHJMQ - NHL Calgary
Davidson, G. - Dawson - McGill Women
De Filippo, M. - Kent - Brown University
Demers, J. - LHJMQ - NHL San Jose Sharks
Despres, S. - LHJMQ - NHL Pittsburgh
Fournier, S. - LHJMQ - NHL Montreal
Fournier, D. - LHJMQ - NHL Chicago
Gilmour, J. - Providence - NHL Calgary
Kavanagh, R. - LHJMQ - DEL (Germany D1)
Lalonde, B. - Espoir - LHJMQ Cape Breton
Levesque, B. - LHJMQ - McGill Men
Matheson, M. - Boston College - NHL Florida
Tardif, S. - Dawson - McGill Women

I am very familiar with the program because my son plays hockey in it currently. He says Jake is a great kid. My son was pleased that the two kids he knows were both taken by you. Callum played city hockey with the same organization as my son did, but is a few years older.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Nice write up, just wanted to clarify something about his HS hockey. Although technically it is hockey at a HS, it is in a program called sportes-etudes or sports-study in English. These are top athletes not just in hockey in the program. They are required to cover the same material as regular students but only in half a day, requiring lots of independent work and discipline, in the afternoon they train in whatever sport they are in. To remain in the program they all must carry a minimum 75% average. The hockey is run by a private group not the school itself.
The league they play in is probably just below Quebec Midget AAA. It is relatively new and is just now showing results at the NHL level, although not yet updated with this years QMJHL drafted players and NHL picks, this is their alumni list including a current Hurricane

Amorosa, T. - Providence - NHL Flyers
Armstrong, K. - Salisbury - Concordia Men
Barberio, M. - LHJMQ - NHL Tampa Bay
Biega, D. - Harvard - NHL Carolina
Biega, A. - Harvard - NHL Vancouver
Culkin, R. - LHJMQ - NHL Calgary
Davidson, G. - Dawson - McGill Women
De Filippo, M. - Kent - Brown University
Demers, J. - LHJMQ - NHL San Jose Sharks
Despres, S. - LHJMQ - NHL Pittsburgh
Fournier, S. - LHJMQ - NHL Montreal
Fournier, D. - LHJMQ - NHL Chicago
Gilmour, J. - Providence - NHL Calgary
Kavanagh, R. - LHJMQ - DEL (Germany D1)
Lalonde, B. - Espoir - LHJMQ Cape Breton
Levesque, B. - LHJMQ - McGill Men
Matheson, M. - Boston College - NHL Florida
Tardif, S. - Dawson - McGill Women

I am very familiar with the program because my son plays hockey in it currently. He says Jake is a great kid. My son was pleased that the two kids he knows were both taken by you. Callum played city hockey with the same organization as my son did, but is a few years older.

My fault, I actually know about that system, it was my understanding that Massie had came from a different environment. We always get a few of those down in prep (such as Amorosa and a few of those names) but in the season I'd heard he played the equivalent of local Mass HS hockey which was more bare-bones and competition was a good step or three below those players. It seems like that jump wasn't as big as I gave him credit for but still a solid prospect.

edit: Just to double-check this is a separate HS thing that isn't connected to Lac-St. Louis and that type of youth program right?

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
My fault, I actually know about that system, it was my understanding that Massie had came from a different environment. We always get a few of those down in prep (such as Amorosa and a few of those names) but in the season I'd heard he played the equivalent of local Mass HS hockey which was more bare-bones and competition was a good step or three below those players. It seems like that jump wasn't as big as I gave him credit for but still a solid prospect.

edit: Just to double-check this is a separate HS thing that isn't connected to Lac-St. Louis and that type of youth program right?

For the older boys that is correct. For the younger ones(under 16) Lac St Louis fields two teams at each level one from the sport-etudes program and the other from the general Lac St Louis city hockey. Because of the difference in training hours, cost etc.. more and more kids are choosing to go the school route every year. The other option offered by the school program for Bantam and Midget aged players is the league I mentioned in my post called the RESQ. You cannot play both city hockey and RESQ as both are under the umbrella of Hockey Quebec. As well, kids that want to attend the program are restricted to playing in there territory so cannot play for the Lac St Louis school team if they do not actually live there, whereas the RESQ teams only requires attending the school so are open to all. If you have any further questions feel free to send me a message and I'll get back to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad