Prospect Info: 6th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I honestly don’t think we can screw up this pick there is so many guys I like in our range.
Shhhhh! He's going to hear you!

92d20b97c320cf8e519385c0b0dd3d41.jpg

Oh crud. Too late.

Reactions: BStinson

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I can see the Dach comparisons to Leon Drai and Getzlaf, but I also think it should be noted Drai had a much stronger d season production wise than Dach.

I personally get the Zacha/Nolan Patrick vibes based on similar production/size, both of whom are good NHLers, but neither will likely ever be all stars. Dach has the body of a man and is playing against a lot of kids who would be in High School

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I can see the Dach comparisons to Leon Drai and Getzlaf, but I also think it should be noted Drai had a much stronger d season production wise than Dach.

I personally get the Zacha/Nolan Patrick vibes based on similar production/size, both of whom are good NHLers, but neither will likely ever be all stars. Dach has the body of a man and is playing against a lot of kids who would be in High School

Size is always an advantage at lower levels, but stylistically his game does not resemble Zacha's or Patrick's. He does not simply bully people with his size and genuinely is a high-skill player. This is coming from someone who has some reservations about him.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Agreed on the 2nd.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lavoie there at 6.

He’s someone I was thinking we would like as well, but I haven’t seen him ranked anywhere even close to #6, and I don’t think he competes hard enough compared to the guys we’ve been taking.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I would be very surprised, and honestly, I would call health department in Michigan, because Holland would need to be put in an old folks home if he drafted him at 6. Because he would be losing his mind.
I don’t know....I consider the Rasmussen pick pretty off board. If we didn’t pick him, he probably would have gone around 20-25

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I don’t know....I consider the Rasmussen pick pretty off board. If we didn’t pick him, he probably would have gone around 20-25

And honestly, I wish they hadn't gone off the board. Being massive in the CHL can be a major driver of offense. In the NHL he's basically a warm body. Unless he takes major steps forward, Detroit essentially drafted a bottom 6 winger.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Okay guys. Sure thing. Totally off the board out of nowhere no one had him projected even close to 9, pick. Warm body at the NHL level. Cool beans.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Dont try too hard to make yourself look stupid

https://www.tsn.ca/2017-nhl-cs-final-draft-ranking-north-america-1.721439
https://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-draft...mentions-1.778987/kchow-template-100-1.778987

And honestly, I wish they hadn't gone off the board. Being massive in the CHL can be a major driver of offense. In the NHL he's basically a warm body. Unless he takes major steps forward, Detroit essentially drafted a bottom 6 winger.

Well I think we're screwed. Dont know very many 19 year olds who were junior eligible that played in the NHL and then improved their game as they got older. 19 year old season is already done so I doubt he takes any steps forward at all

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If they went by the board, they would have picked Vilardi who played 4 games total this season, all in the AHL.

Too early to judge if he's better or worse than the forwards picked below him, but I would have been happier with a D-man.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Dont try too hard to make yourself look stupid

https://www.tsn.ca/2017-nhl-cs-final-draft-ranking-north-america-1.721439
https://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-draft...mentions-1.778987/kchow-template-100-1.778987

Well I think we're screwed. Dont know very many 19 year olds who were junior eligible that played in the NHL and then improved their game as they got older. 19 year old season is already done so I doubt he takes any steps forward at all

I get the sarcasm, but, the draft was considered very shallow, he was 6'6'' and well over 200 pounds in a kids league. It gave him a massive advantage (pun intended). Especially given his game, which was driven by him being able to bulldoze in front of the net in power plays, there are a lot of red flags that he isn't a top 6 talent.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Have you ever heard of a 19 year old taking massive steps forward? It’s so unlikely..

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Have you ever heard of a 19 year old taking massive steps forward? It’s so unlikely..

Some do, most don't. Probably 80% of picks don't. Ras was a massive 18 year old. He was able to use his size and strength to dominate. That is something you can't do on its own to dominate in the NHL. You need to have real tools. He hasn't shown those tools at all at the NHL level. I am hoping a year in the AHL he can develop them, but his first year in the NHL wasn't encouraging.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I get the sarcasm, but, the draft was considered very shallow, he was 6'6'' and well over 200 pounds in a kids league. It gave him a massive advantage (pun intended). Especially given his game, which was driven by him being able to bulldoze in front of the net in power plays, there are a lot of red flags that he isn't a top 6 talent.
We got Rasmussen just were he was projected. His bread and butter was net front , redirection. He is goal scorer ,so does Zadina. We badly needed to bring elite playmaker, and those 2 will be much better.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
We got Rasmussen just were he was projected. His bread and butter was net front , redirection. He is goal scorer ,so does Zadina. We badly needed to bring elite playmaker, and those 2 will be much better.

His bread and butter is doing it in a kids league as a 6'6'' 210 pound man. He will not get the time and space in the NHL that he got there. He needs more than his size, and until he shows he has more than that, color me skeptical.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Some do, most don't. Probably 80% of picks don't. Ras was a massive 18 year old. He was able to use his size and strength to dominate. That is something you can't do on its own to dominate in the NHL. You need to have real tools. He hasn't shown those tools at all at the NHL level. I am hoping a year in the AHL he can develop them, but his first year in the NHL wasn't encouraging.
He did show tools. You can’t ignore that because they’re not the tools you personally look for. Few 18-19 year olds are as effective at winning puck battles and occupying the area in front of the net. As he gets stronger he’ll be dominant in those areas, the rest of his game is in question sure but too early to write him off as bottom 6.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
kids league as a 6'6'' 210 pound man.
Soon enough he will be 6'6 240 lb monster in the NHL and then he can get back to dominating. Ras will need a few summers in the gym to get there but he will fill out that body soon enough. Wasnt a great season for him but he has a lot of growing to do. Probably learnt a lot this season.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Rasmussen was certainly in that range, but it was clear to me that he was one of those guys like Virtanen and Crouse. At the time, very much wanted Vilardi or Necas, obviously Vilardi is facing a major uphill battle in lieu of his chronic injury issues. I don't think 2017 will end up a particularly celebrated draft in general.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
2020 prospects Rossi and Perfetti both had 2g2a in their respective OHL conference finals. If we somehow get Byram, the next draft looks as good or better for centers. Byfield, Lundell, Perfetti, Rossi, and don't worry there's some elite wingers to bump them down to us.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I think my top 6 ends up as:
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Podkolzin
5. Byram
6. Krebs

I know it won't be a popular list, but I love the heart that Turcotte, Podkolzin, and Krebs play with.

Reactions: Run the Jewels
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->