Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I can't believe how many people here are saying they are happy with this pick. This is disgusting. If they wanted a D, you take Broberg. Harley will be better, York will be better, Soderstrom will be better. There is no high-end upside here. It's a safe pick, he's going to be a 2nd pair D and nothing more...

It's nonsense...I'm still in disbelief.

Lol take your USA Hockey hat off. York will not be better than Seider

Reactions: ealong59

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Really wish they would have taken Zegras, but as soon as the top 5 went the way they did, I knew things were about to get weird. Oh well, hope he lives up to the draft position.

Reactions: StNickFan and LazyT

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
If Seider is that good, and was picked at the right spot, why did Bob Mckenzie, who polls actual scouts, and people who go to numerous games, have him ranked at 16th?

Why did Bob McKenzie rank Pettersson 7th? Yzerman has an entire organization of scouts, I think he knows what he's doing. I agree that he reached a bit but he has his reasons.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I guess after watching him at world cup Steven made his mind. Will see. T

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Anyone projected to be top-pairing goes top 3 or 4 in 100% of drafts. Top-pairing D are still found further back quite often.

Everyone could be wrong, but, he was consensus middle of the first round. He could be amazing in 10 years. But, its much more likely he won't be. At 6th that's not the profile of a player you want. If Detroit picked him at 15, that would be different.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You mean the Karlsson taken in the middle of the first round, not the top third, and was showing good offense in Swedish leagues that aren't traditionally leagues kids show good offense in?
If you think a kid is legit and you have to pick him at #6 to get him you pick him at #6. You’re not happier with Schenn than Karlsson because Schenn was rated higher in mock drafts. If we had another pick at #15 you might gamble that this kid would still be there, but it was #6 or not at all for us.

This could be an awful pick. Or a great one. At least they’re not just picking mindlessly according to ’consensus’.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If you think a kid is legit and you have to pick him at #6 to get him you pick him at #6. You’re not happier with Schenn than Karlsson because Schenn was rated higher in mock drafts.

This could be an awful pick. Or a great one. At least they’re not just picking mindlessly according to ’consensus’.

Then why not pick a guy projected in the 5th round first overall?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Why did Bob McKenzie rank Pettersson 7th? Yzerman has an entire organization of scouts, I think he knows what he's doing. I agree that he reached a bit but he has his reasons.

Fair enough, and I will be highly, highly critical until the pick works out. I've watched a ton of video on all of these guys, and have gone to many CHL games this year to watch prospects, and Seider at 6 doesn't make sense to me. I don't think he is elite at anything..he's just reliable. He will be a good player, but I mean....we're picking 6th overall here....

• Haha
Reactions: Euro Twins

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Then why not pick a guy projected in the 5th round first overall?
Because the difference between those levels of prospects is vastly, vastly bigger than the difference between Seider and the ~5 kids rated a little higher? Also because you have 4+ picks before the 5th round, if Seider was rated #15-20 we had ONE pick available for him=#6.

Reactions: ealong59

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Fair enough, and I will be highly, highly critical until the pick works out. I've watched a tone of video on all of these guys, and have gone to many CHL games this year to watch prospects, and Seider at 6 doesn't make sense to me. I don't think he is elite at anything..he's just reliable. He will be a good player, but I mean....we're picking 6th overall here....

Fair to be critical. I definitely will be too but I'm not going to pretend I know more than a professional NHL GM. I'm intrigued by his size and composure. I haven't watched much footage of him, anything you like about him?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Because that isn't the same thing and you know it?

Its hyperbolic, but 'don't draft on the consensus is an asinine thing to say. He's a guy I was thinking that I'd like trading up to 20th overall if he was available. At 6th overall, its, in my mind, way too much of a gamble, especially when Detroit lacks top talent.

Reactions: Fynn

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Everyone could be wrong, but, he was consensus middle of the first round. He could be amazing in 10 years. But, its much more likely he won't be. At 6th that's not the profile of a player you want. If Detroit picked him at 15, that would be different.

The difference between a consensus top 5-10 and a consensus 14-16 pick is so subtle that it's really just a matter of personal preference. Teams 'reach' in this region of the draft all the time. There's no sure thing superstar left at 6, there's only 1 at most 2 of those in a draft and that's not even the case every year.

This is the risk of half-hearted tanking...you can pick 5-10th every year for many years without landing the guy who will lead you back to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad