Ht: 6'3 Wt: 181 lbs
Shoots: Right
Position: C/RW

Entwistle_AB41523.jpg

Ranked #55 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #44 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #36 by Future Considerations
Ranked #50 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #44 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #62 by TSN/McKenzie

�While he may lack high-end puck skills and lateral mobility, he is a strong north-south skater with smarts who works hard at both ends of the ice. He looks like a safe bet to one day play in the NHL�the question will be on what line?�-Grant McCagg

�The offensive numbers have really declined in recent months and he�s dropping like a stone on a lot of draft lists. But I�ve still got him at the back-end of my (OHL) top 10. The Top Prospect�s Game was a great showcase for him. Still think he�s got more offensive potential and better hands than people give him credit for. As he fills out, I think he could be a real force at both ends of the ice. If Hamilton falters in the OHL playoffs, I really hope he plays a large role for Canada at the U18�s, where I think he could really shine.�-Brock Otten

�A big frame that understands the game as well as some coaches�Excellent on the PK and defensively while his offensive game is developing.� -Mark Seidel

http://thehockeywriters.com/mackenzie-entwistle-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

A fundamentally sound player with excellent skating ability and great size. He is never going to put up large scoring numbers, but is a guy who makes your team better and helps you win. A North-South skater with powerful stride and very good acceleration. He gets many shots on net when he gets possession. Strong in both ends and may get better in all areas as he develops.
—Bill Placzek—

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
They aren't kidding about going hunting for character players. First Joseph, now Entwistle. Go-go all out hustle balls to the wall player.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
He's my favourite prospect, limited offence but he'll be a fan favourite.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He lead Canada in scoring at the U18s. I think there's much more offense in him than people give him credit for.

Anyways, he's a sure fire NHL player. Whether he makss it as a 4th liner or 2nd liner is the question.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Mono dropped him big time. Also wasn't given any power play time. This coming season will be different.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'd have felt better about the draft if they took this kid 44 and Westerlund at 69

IMO, Entwistle went exactly where he should have gone in the third. I would have been less annoyed if he was taken at 44 instead of Westerlund, but still annoyed, given that Ikonen and Formenton are still on the board.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Easily one of my favourite players available in this draft class. His offensive abilities are vastly underrated IMO. Not to the point where I think he can be a first line player in the NHL. But I think he could easily have the same sort of impact a guy like Boone Jenner is having in the NHL currently, as a 2nd/3rd liner, 40 point player. When he's played against his peers on the big stage, this guy has consistently elevated his play. He was terrific at the Top Prospect's Game this year. And he was easily Canada's most consistent and dangerous forward at the U18's, where he led Canada in scoring. His stats with Hamilton this year weren't terrific. But he was consistently receiving 3rd line minutes and saw very little powerplay time. He also went through a bout of mono towards the end of the year that really limited his effectiveness down the stretch, leading into the playoffs. Bottom line is this, Entwistle is an incredibly complete player that coaches at the next level are going to love. He's got size at 6'3. He skates exceptionally well. He competes at both ends. He kills penalties. He can play all three forward positions. He throws his body around and is an effective player along the boards. There are so many things to like about his game. As an offensive player, he flashes great skill with the puck in transition, but doesn't utilize this enough, often deferring to teammates. I truly do believe that once he gains confidence, we'll start to see the points pile up.

High praise.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
I have to say I am pretty jealous you guys nabbed Entwhistle. He's a favourite of mine playing here in Hamilton and I was hoping Boston would take him. When someone says they try to model their game after Patrice Bergeron, you have to listen. I guess we have enough centres in the prospect pool.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
IMO, Entwistle went exactly where he should have gone in the third. I would have been less annoyed if he was taken at 44 instead of Westerlund, but still annoyed, given that Ikonen and Formenton are still on the board.

Aside from the Joseph pick, this is the only one that was really in line with where I had the player ranked. There's a bit of potential here—he's young, big and tenacious, not to mention right-handed—but there were some more dynamic names on the board even at 69. Still, you could do a lot worse with a 3rd round pick.

I generally don't think it's wise to spend even mid round picks on low ceiling guys, as those are the easiest to acquire and they're not really any "safer" than guys with top 6 upside, but in this case, I think Entwistle could at least be a fairly high end 3rd liner, not unlike what Crouse showed at his best this past season. The two of them could make up a pretty formidable forechecking tandem someday. I don't think he'll ever be much more than a 35 point player, but with what else he brings to the table, that could be a valuable contributor.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't like how "safe" our picks felt either. Tim's interview actually made me feel worse about it. Even they don't see anyone with top six upside in our draft. Not one homerun swing. I feel like we bunted instead of trying for even a double. Seems like we left a lot of talent on the board and took size and try.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Am I the only on who hates the characterization of picks as safe or risky? It seems like if a player is more offensive, then he is "risky" and "safer" if he is more inclined to defense.

Except that's not how it works in real life. Players have a certain level of talent, and a possibility of surpassing players with further development. Significantly improving and surpassing other players is unusual, but it's treated as if its the norm. It's just as hard to project defensive play to the NHL level as offensive play, that's why I think the safe and risky labels don't make sense.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I don't like how "safe" our picks felt either. Tim's interview actually made me feel worse about it. Even they don't see anyone with top six upside in our draft. Not one homerun swing. I feel like we bunted instead of trying for even a double. Seems like we left a lot of talent on the board and took size and try.

I got the sense that the guys who they think could possibly be really good players are POJ and Westlund.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad