Post-Game Talk: #69: Bruins at FLYERS, Tuesday, Mar. 10, 2020, 7:00 p.m. ET

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Provorov is an odd player in that he's a very good skater and has skill, but some combination of body type, stick length ( :naughty: ), hand positioning, and overall lack of deception lead him to looking too stiff at times on the PP and unable to get pucks into the really dangerous areas of the ice. Sometimes he looks like he's just a tick too slow to move pucks and sometimes that can make all of the difference. He's a good passer, but his playmaking instincts are subpar compared to most PP1 types. If you are going to be a consistent threat at the top of the "umbrella" you have to be able to do more than just shoot.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Provorov is an odd player in that he's a very good skater and has skill, but some combination of body type, stick length :)naughty:), hand positioning, and overall lack of deception lead him to looking too stiff at times on the PP and unable to get pucks into the really dangerous areas of the ice. Sometimes he looks like he's just a tick too slow to move pucks and sometimes that can make all of the difference. He's a good passer, but his playmaking instincts are subpar compared to most PP1 types. If you are going to be a consistent threat at the top of the "umbrella" you have to be able to do more than just shoot.

It is so strange to me how he is just such a "better" player in situations where he has little time. Like his instincts are fantastic but when game slows down he does not think it as well.

Same in the DZ. How many mistakes does he make when in tough spots along boards, with forecheckers coming in etc? Few. Mostly it is passes when has time, or skating into pressure when in stride with options etc.

I mean, he is, at 5v5, one of the most dangerous Dmen in the league past the blue-line with speed. On the rush there is pretty much only Brent Burns who gets to as dangerous an areas as him consistently. The way he gets to the slot and circles so often for passes and chances is silly.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ghost jokes at your expense.
6061b9046ca8d529800b3cc51dbe5b27.png

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It is so strange to me how he is just such a "better" player in situations where he has little time. Like his instincts are fantastic but when game slows down he does not think it as well.

Same in the DZ. How many mistakes does he make when in tough spots along boards, with forecheckers coming in etc? Few. Mostly it is passes when has time, or skating into pressure when in stride with options etc.

I mean, he is, at 5v5, one of the most dangerous Dmen in the league past the blue-line with speed. On the rush there is pretty much only Brent Burns who gets to as dangerous an areas as him consistently. The way he gets to the slot and circles so often for passes and chances is silly.

Exactly. Seems like he's a really smart player and has great instincts but when he has all that free time he gets caught overthinking it and paralyzes himself (for a split second, but that's enough).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Of course, he just turned 23 in his 4th NHL season, so he might not be a finished product?

He may just need to stop overthinking and learn to trust what he sees.

Though I noticed on the PP he did a good job anticipating when PKs were going to jump a passing lane and hesitating to make the pass after they committed and he had a clear lane. So he might be starting to process things, not just react.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad