Prospect Info: 68th overall: Vancouver selects Tyler Madden (son of John, Northeastern University commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
isn't scouting the athleticism, size and teenage growth patterns of the parents, grandparents and close relatives of a prospect a standard part of drafting homework? i seem to recall it being talked about with glass that his close male relatives were all huge.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
isn't scouting the athleticism, size and teenage growth patterns of the parents, grandparents and close relatives of a prospect a standard part of drafting homework? i seem to recall it being talked about with glass that his close male relatives were all huge.

Yep. Jordan Subban was/is going to have his growth spurt.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well by most accounts (at at least his dad), Tyler is more considered more offensive oriented than his dad and has better puck skills. But his dad really was no slouch himself. Very underrated offensively IMO.

Anyways, my point is that I think the Canucks drafted him based on his perceived offensive upside. If you go back to Brackett's draft day comments, he talked about Madden being underdeveloped as a reason for drafting him.

In his second year in the AHL (at age 25) John Madden scored 98 points in the AHL. He put up a ton of offense before settling in as an NHL checking center.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In his second year in the AHL (at age 25) John Madden scored 98 points in the AHL. He put up a ton of offense before settling in as an NHL checking center.

Did you miss the part where I said his dad really was no slouch himself? That he was very underrated offensively?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Did you miss the part where I said his dad really was no slouch himself? That he was very underrated offensively?

I was more talking about this, which wasn't necessarily what you were saying is your opinion but just what others say:

"Well by most accounts (at at least his dad), Tyler is more considered more offensive oriented than his dad and has better puck skills"

Sure his dad may think that but considering the point totals John Madden actually put up I'm a little skeptical... though upon further examination it John had a pretty unusual path in that he was in Ontario Junior B from age 17-19 and didn't join Michigan until he was 20, having a good but mediocre rookie season.

So the above probably was correct that Tyler Madden has better offense at the same age (17-18), so rather I would say it's a bit irrelevant as John Madden looks more like a huge outlier late bloomer who experienced a massive jump in his offensive production in his early 20's.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I was more talking about this, which wasn't necessarily what you were saying is your opinion but just what others say:

"Well by most accounts (at at least his dad), Tyler is more considered more offensive oriented than his dad and has better puck skills"

Sure his dad may think that but considering the point totals John Madden actually put up I'm a little skeptical... though upon further examination it John had a pretty unusual path in that he was in Ontario Junior B from age 17-19 and didn't join Michigan until he was 20, having a good but mediocre rookie season.

So the above probably was correct that Tyler Madden has better offense at the same age (17-18), so rather I would say it's a bit irrelevant as John Madden looks more like a huge outlier late bloomer who experienced a massive jump in his offensive production in his early 20's.
John Madden played in a different era. He was a very tough and excellent defensive player, very clutch too. He killed us more than once.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Well Ryan Kesler at his best was a very productive offensive player but he isn't as offensive oriented or as skilled as [insert many names]. The point I was making is that he was drafted supposedly for his offensive potential.

No offense, but your post is rather irrelevant. I was engaged in a discussion over ceiling and whether or not Tyler's last name affected that poster's projection of Tyler. Tyler being more of an offensive player and being more skilled is completely relevant to the discussion I was engaged in.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I remember John Madden as a Chris Higgins type of player but with more offense. if his kid turns out like him he will be a steal.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm fine with Madden maxing out as a Chris Higgins - and I'm fine with Adam Gaudette maxing out as a Maxim Lapierre.

Max.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I'm fine with Madden maxing out as a Chris Higgins - and I'm fine with Adam Gaudette maxing out as a Maxim Lapierre.

Max.

3 goals in 3 games is huge for a players confidence.
Although one was a tap in empty net goal.

I havent seen him play yet, but nice start.

EDIT - So Northeastern measured him at 150 ibs as well.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

Max.

I kind of think it'll be the other way around. Gaudette as a strong 2-way middle-6 forward and Madden as a speedy bottom-6 forward.

Reactions: Zombotron

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Max.

I suppose at the end of the day I would be "fine" with it as well, but there are different versions of Higgins and Lapierre. At their best vs their inconsistent version is a huge difference.

Reactions: Zombotron

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I’m hoping Gaudette can be Brendan Morrison, with or without Bertuzzi and Naslund to lift him up to the career he had

Morrison was a hard working good all around player

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I’m hoping Gaudette can be Brendan Morrison, with or without Bertuzzi and Naslund to lift him up to the career he had

Morrison was a hard working good all around player

Weird comparison, don't really see it.

And John Madden in his prime was an absolute beast. Was one of the best 3rd line centers in the league

Reactions: Nomobo

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I honestly didn't care that much for his game today but I can tell that he's willing to get into the tough areas and all that shit. Still find it weird how he's used on the PP but more the power to him for being accepting of the task.

But I don't think I can complain about him if he continues to produce at a 1.25P/G rate in his freshman year. I'd be happy if a 15-30 pick were able to do that.

Last edited:

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I honestly didn't care that much for his game today but I can tell that he's willing to get into the tough areas and all that ****. Still find it weird how he's used on the PP but more the power to him for being accepting of the task.

But I don't think I can complain about him if he continues to produce at a 1.25P/G rate in his freshman year. I'd be happy if a 15-30 pick were able to do that.

It was pretty weird that they use a 150 lb freshman as their net front guy on their number 1 PP unit and it pretty much means that he's doesn't handle the puck after they set up so so it's hard to get a read on his puck handling or skating.He did take face-offs on the PP but clearly needs to work on that that.

I watched about 90% of the game and Madden got very few shifts 5 on 5 so I really didn't get much of an impression of his overall game.One time I saw him make a few slick moves then skated into a group of defenders and lose the puck and another where he showed some nice speed and stick handling in the O-zone to set up a scoring chance that no one could convert on.
There's definitely some talent there,hopefully he can get more ice time to develop his 5 on 5 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->