Prospect Info: 68th overall: Vancouver selects Tyler Madden (son of John, Northeastern University commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
His role on the PP this season has changed from being a net-front presence to being a trigger man in the Boeser spot who occasionally circles around, gets open and fires down the middle. Really fun watching him and Davies together on that unit. Definitely become more of a playdriver throughout the duration of the season.

Looks way better than Gaudette did at the same age.

I still stand by my Wahlstrom claim. ;)

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Madden gettin some love from other teams scouts in the Hockey News 2018 re-draft by becoming the biggest riser into the first round at #31 up from #68.
Props to our US scouts for another great selection,too bad we didn't have more picks for them over the last several years so our prospect depth wouldn't be so atrocious.

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Madden gettin some love from other teams scouts in the Hockey News 2018 re-draft by becoming the biggest riser into the first round at #31 up from #68.
Props to our US scouts for another great selection,too bad we didn't have more picks for them over the last several years so our prospect depth wouldn't be so atrocious.
No doubt about this. Brackett and Smyl are basically saving the Canucks prospect pool, drafting late risers from the USHL and the NCAA. Without that infusion of talent, it's unnerving to think how weak the prospect pool would be. The problem of course is that the Canucks have drafted virtually nothing of substance from any of the Major Junior Leagues in Canada.

Obviously they have high hopes for Lind and Woo.....but seems to me that the Major Junior players the Canucks take flyers on in mid to late rounds, either don't pan out or never even get signed. They've had more luck cherry-picking older prospects like MacEwen, Chatfield, Sautner, McEneny and now Eliot who basically went un-drafted.

But if there's some sort or organizational review in the off-season, they really need to overhaul their CHL scouting imo.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Easy breasy much higher than 31 :yo:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
No doubt about this. Brackett and Smyl are basically saving the Canucks prospect pool, drafting late risers from the USHL and the NCAA. Without that infusion of talent, it's unnerving to think how weak the prospect pool would be.

Arguments that speculate about what the nature of a thing would be if a major part of that thing were arbitrarily changed or removed are silly.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Arguments that speculate about what the nature of a thing would be if a major part of that thing were arbitrarily changed or removed are silly.
What? Really not hard to see what the Canuck prospect pool would be like without Hughes, Boeser, Demko, Gaudette, Lockwood, Madden and Rathbone....all USHL or U.S. high school players scouted by Brackett-Smyl.

I guess you can label it 'pointless speculation'. But living in world where Kole Lind and Oli Juolevi are your top prospects, would be more than 'silly'. It would be tragic.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
No doubt about this. Brackett and Smyl are basically saving the Canucks prospect pool, drafting late risers from the USHL and the NCAA. Without that infusion of talent, it's unnerving to think how weak the prospect pool would be. The problem of course is that the Canucks have drafted virtually nothing of substance from any of the Major Junior Leagues in Canada.

Obviously they have high hopes for Lind and Woo.....but seems to me that the Major Junior players the Canucks take flyers on in mid to late rounds, either don't pan out or never even get signed. They've had more luck cherry-picking older prospects like MacEwen, Chatfield, Sautner, McEneny and now Eliot who basically went un-drafted.

But if there's some sort or organizational review in the off-season, they really need to overhaul their CHL scouting imo.

Don't think they have high hopes for Lind any more

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
What? Really not hard to see what the Canuck prospect pool would be like without Hughes, Boeser, Demko, Gaudette, Lockwood, Madden and Rathbone....all USHL or U.S. high school players scouted by Brackett-Smyl.

I guess you can label it 'pointless speculation'. But living in world where Kole Lind and Oli Juolevi are your top prospects, would be more than 'silly'. It would be tragic.

Bracket and Smyl were hired by the Canucks based on their merits, and those picks were made in reality, on the temporal plane, where we all are. They're real. Speculating about how poor the Canucks' pool would be without them is no different than any fan of any team wondering what their pools would be like without the contributions of the two scouts who in retrospect were the most successful over a short period. It's pointless and tells us nothing.

May 31, 2006
Smyl wasn’t hired on merit. Guy has been on the Canucks payroll since retiring 27 years ago. And he’s held literally every job possible in the organization since then.

Reactions: MarkMM and B-rock

member 290103

Madden would get creamed in the AHL with that body.

He needs to go back to NCAA for 1 or 2 more years. Would love him on the Gaudette path.

He's simply sit out 90% of the games in the AHL. He'd be fine, physically.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He's simply sit out 90% of the games in the AHL. He'd be fine, physically.

Agreed Madden’s size is of no issue. The kid’s greatest asset is his hockey IQ. But we all know the coaches in
Utica don’t play young players. Those coaches have 25 year old career AHLers they are trying to develop.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I would be more comfortable if Madden played another year in the NCAA. Of course, playing in the AHL as essentially a 20 year old shouldn't effect his development that much, but I think another year in the NCAA would be the safer route.

Smyl wasn’t hired on merit. Guy has been on the Canucks payroll since retiring 27 years ago. And he’s held literally every job possible in the organization since then.

Agreed, but Smyl should have a job in the organization. I think good organizations should have some "lifers." Smyl has been a loyal foot soldier for the organization. I remember that Smyl played a big role in recruiting Volpatti. While Smyl may be getting up there in years and may no longer be able to identify with today's youth, I think you need guys like Smyl who can convincingly tell a young player that the Canucks are a good organization who takes care of their own.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
THere’s nothing wrong with having “lifers” on the payroll if they provide some value, which it seems Smyl does. You just don’t want to wind up like the Oilers who should have cut bait with Kevin Lowe years ago.

Reactions: MarkMM

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Madden should stay in school for another year.

That's probably the best bet for his development.Not sure of his current weight/strength but unless he's had some sort of miracle year,he likely needs more time to mature physically along with plenty of gym time and the college route is much better for this while still playing against quality competition.

Reactions: Luckylarry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad