Prospect Info: 68th overall: Vancouver selects Tyler Madden (son of John, Northeastern University commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Madden is pretty far ahead of Gaudette at the same age. His puck skills look already better than Gaudette's. If he can bulk up a little, his development could really be fast-tracked. What a great looking pick.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Really don't like this pick considering who was available. Wise, Nordgren, Lauko, Gruden. Madden is not someone I would have taken with an early 3rd.

And Chicago takes Wise immediately after..

Ehhhh. He's 150lbs.

34 points in 50 USHL games isn't bad. Overall not thrilled considering Wise is still somehow on the board.

Edit: ****. This feels like a Brandon Saad moment.

I don't understand Madden over Wise...

Wanted Wise...Not sure about a 5'11" 150lb center who hasn't put up great offensive numbers.

Agreed. So many other players I'd rather have picked. Weak pick

Wise was the pick to be made here. Madden is tiny at 150lb but can obviously grow and put on weight. This draft has been only ok so far- I haven't hated any picks completely but man has he left guys on the board that I'd rather have taken with all 3 picks.

Yeah I'd give this draft a C+/B-.

Hughes was a great pick, Woo was okay. This one is debatable.

Ouch. Really don’t like this pick, especially seeing Wise go one pick later to Chicago.

So far not a good day at all for the Canucks at the draft.

Way better players in the USHL were still available.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yup I was off on that one. There's usually 1 a year where I am just way off.
To be fair, how can you predict players coming out of high school? I still remember the Pat White pick.
Good on our scouts for getting the Madden pick right. They’ve done some great work in the US!
Demko, Gaudette, Madden. Getting some great value after the first round.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
To be fair, how can you predict players coming out of high school? I still remember the Pat White pick.
Good on our scouts for getting the Madden pick right. They’ve done some great work in the US!

Rathbone is looking good, Lockwood too.

US scouts are crushing it.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Posted this in the So you think you can draft...on June 25th

3-7 wouldn't change a thing and i was actually pining for Madden at 3 leading up to the draft so i'm really happy about that.
Have read a bunch on Utunen as well since and am extremely pleased abut that pick as well.

Brackett is the man so i'm pretty confident right now he's finding gems and i do like the high ceiling they are shooting for with the Pettersson and Hughes selections

cc

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah. His previous point totals in the ushl don't look that impressive so his current skill level and production is a little suprising. What he showed in the prospects tourny after the draft really opened my eyes.

Reactions: Caspian

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I can admit I am wrong when I am wrong...however I'm not ready to concede just yet. Madden looks great so far, much better than Jake Wise...but he's a long way from putting on a Canucks jersey just yet.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It isn't just the skill-level with Madden, it's the 'compete level' which is just off the charts. The kid plays a relentless game and never takes a shift off. You could see it at the WJC.

Just needs some physical maturity. But already the 'go-to' center with Northeastern, and just turned 19. Potential for a home-run pick in the third round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad