Post-Game Talk: #66: FLYERS 4 at Islanders 1, Sunday, Mar. 3, 2019, 3:00 pm ET

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Nice game today. Good to see the boys driving the net. Seems like they're doing it a lot more in the post-Hak era.

Loved Seeing Sanheim muscle his way to the front of the net for that goal. I guess he's not too weak to do that. :sarcasm:

1128544972_slide.jpg

Elliott isn't the best goalie around, but nobody can say he isn't a fighter.

1133449839_slide.jpg

I really enjoy watching Phil Myers play hockey. That chip pass to Hartman was a beauty.

Jeez, Patty has taken a beating recently. He looked a little less than 200% after the game. ;)

iu

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Credit to Amac - today is the first time I saw "the starfish" stop an opponent goal. Of course he took the legs out of the Fish STick forward by the net, but hey, it worked.

And how about that great secondary assist for Hagg on TK's goal? Flub a pass, creating a near certain turn over for a scorign chance against only to have Gudas make two - count 'em 2 - great plays to win back the puck and get it up to TK for the near break away. +1 and an assist! Woo-hoo! :confused:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Credit to Amac - today is the first time I saw "the starfish" stop an opponent goal. Of course he took the legs out of the Fish STick forward by the net, but hey, it worked.

And how about that great secondary assist for Hagg on TK's goal? Flub a pass, creating a near certain turn over for a scorign chance against only to have Gudas make two - count 'em 2 - great plays to win back the puck and get it up to TK for the near break away. +1 and an assist! Woo-hoo! :confused:

Those Gudas plays were fantastic really.

Reactions: Foggy14

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Worth noting that the Flyers, who often struggle against fast players in general and Barzal specifically, did a great job of containing him. You could see him flying around but it was difficult for him to create space, and I noticed several shifts where Provorov or Myers kept tight coverage on him as he circled behind the net. Provorov has really had his skating legs lately, and Myers is just ridiculous. Very impressive. Held him to 1 shot and -3.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Another game where the Flyers were out played, Corsi 41.3%, SCF/CA 21/29, HDCF/CA 12/16 after two periods.
Can't allow this on a steady basis, you can't count on bad goaltenders and lucky breaks, if the other team controls the puck for extended periods, you will be punished.
It also demonstrated that the Islanders are a product of their goaltenders, with Lehner having an off night, they were toast.

Sanheim has raised his game a notch the last couple weeks, I think it's simply a matter of progression, he went from overmatched last fall, to holding his own in a sheltered role last spring, getting a little more responsibility this fall, and gradually growing into the role when promoted to 1st pair duties - in other words, like any top young prospect, it took time. However, he's not quite there, 36.7% Corsi, SCF/CA 11/19, HDCF/CA 2/10 - Islanders knew who to pressure.

A number of other Flyers got punked by the Islander forecheck, TK, Varone, Knight, Hartman, Raffl.

We seeing with Myers, he had some nice plays, but also a sequence when he looked brain dead with Ghost yelling at him, telling him where to go - that after a year and a half in the AHL. He's also a work in progress, the promise is obvious, but he's probably a half a season to a season from being ready for a top four role.

Whatever ailed Provorov the first half is history, he was flying out there at both ends.

Laughton is a great 4th line player, his goal was a fourth line goal, dig it out of the corner, drive the net and keep hacking until it goes in - nothing fancy, just grit and determination.

MacDonald played 8:30 at ES, 5 minutes less than any other D-man, draw your own conclusions.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This would have to be considered a "schedule loss." Third road game in four days vs. your division leader, Elliott's sixth start in seven games, basically missing two of your top 6 forwards from the start.

The shot differential was less than the Corsi, 30-26. Flyers blocked a lot of shots and had active sticks.

The Flyers have shown a lot of resiliency. They can overcome bad starts and deficits. They've shown some killer instinct in putting teams away lately, vs. the Isles, Devils and Sabres.

Contrary to popular belief, the core is not fatally flawed. They don't have character issues.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I thought Raffl and Knight played well today. I remember a play where Knight knocked down a pass then doggedly willed the puck out of the zone after scrumming for about 5 seconds. Might have been on the dying seconds of a PP. Similarly to Raffl, I think he can be a useful compliment on a bottom line.

Sanheim and Provorov are really gelling as a pair, but I still miss Travis on his natural side. Nevertheless both players had a few opportunities to drape themselves on Barzal and keep him to the outside on a rush. Each time they were successful. Both played well, and that big pus$y Sanheim even outmuscled a grown man in the slot AND fired a laser all in one motion for the goal.

Moose: 1st star honors. Made around 5 key saves to keep the Isles at bay.

Myers: it's like Sanheim all over again. Another game another great performance.
  • Crunched Barzal then took the puck. Unfortunately swarmed by 2 Isles and coughed it up. Sweet work on Barzal though.
  • Tied up Bailey in front beautifully before that behind the net bank shot attempt by Barzal- boxed him out of the shooting lane while tying his stick up. Turned him into a non factor. Meanwhile, next shift Hagg is forced into Elliot and allowed a Islander 2 cracks at Elliot. Shocking, I know.
  • When his veteran partner, AMac, was caught stammeringly indecisive on a pinch situation and was blown through like tissue paper in the NZ, Myers saved the day with his fantastic closing speed and stick work, not even letting the Islander cross our blue line.
  • Brutal turnover at the blue line where Elliot bailed him out- looked like he tried another oop pass but didn't get all of it. Easily gloved by a waiting Islander.
Here's another "meanwhile" situation. Hagg goes to skate it out/look for an outlet, and skate into traffic. He aborts mission, turns around right into an islander. Tries to force a pass through him back to Gudas behind the net. Tipped. Turnover. Shocking, I know. Seconds later gets back to Gudas (forget how), who shake n bakes a defender on the wall skates out of the zone, hard 55 foot outlet to Konecny, goal. Huh. Begs the question: is it the combination of Gudas + Hagg that is bad? Or is it just...never mind.

I like TK. That is all.

Shockingly, each of the Islanders PPs went dormant until the final 30 seconds. The constant? Amac and Hagg both on the ice each time. Can't make it up folks.

Holy f*** I hate the name "pellech" or however you spell it.

The quick strike ability on full display tonight. Few gaffes, but Elliot was there. That's the difference good goalie performances make. Keep it rolling.

oKo4TkW.gif

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
pretty amazing that elliot looks like an nhl goaltender, after they gave him enough time, to fully recover from his injuries.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->