GDT: [#66] Edmonton Oilers @ Dallas Stars, 7:30 PM CST (FSSW, Sportsnet West)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Honestly, I’m not that surprised or annoyed by the loss. The Stars lost to a goalie that stood on his head the whole game; even Klingberg’s (nice) goal found the tiniest sliver of daylight. Getting that goal and getting to OT was a win in a game like this.

At this point, not at all likely to catch the Blues, but do want the Stars to keep that 2/3 slot. I think they’ll match well again the Avs.

Reactions: Kipper 17

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Oiler fan coming in peace

I am impressed at your guys reaction to the penalty in OT. If that had been the other way there would have been a 50 page thread on the oiler board. In the playoffs that does not get called

That was a penalty no doubt. Certainly better than a lot of calls and non-calls against both teams in the game

Reactions: RattsSSV

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Oiler fan coming in peace

I am impressed at your guys reaction to the penalty in OT. If that had been the other way there would have been a 50 page thread on the oiler board. In the playoffs that does not get called

I took a quick look at the Oilers game thread, and they were heavy on trashing Dallas fans for no knowledge and for booing the Stars. Still going with the dumb Texan narrative 27 years after we got NHL hockey, I guess. Also, I was at the game and the only booing was for a few missed calls by the ref, i.e., a high stick on Benn.

So, yeah, I can see 50 pages on one penalty, LOL. Luckily, my opinion of Oiler fans is more formed by the two groups of 6-8 in the rows in front of me that were quite civil and we had a nice discussion.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I took a quick look at the Oilers game thread, and they were heavy on trashing Dallas fans for no knowledge and for booing the Stars. Still going with the dumb Texan narrative 27 years after we got NHL hockey, I guess. Also, I was at the game and the only booing was for a few missed calls by the ref, i.e., a high stick on Benn.

So, yeah, I can see 50 pages on one penalty, LOL. Luckily, my opinion of Oiler fans is more formed by the two groups of 6-8 in the rows in front of me that were quite civil and we had a nice discussion.
i mean, i've seen us bash other fanbases for booing obvious calls in their arena. it's SOP 'round the league.

kind of unusual to see an oil fan in the wild in these parts though.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
A few posters implied we were booing our own team, not the refs. I was going to go into their thread and ask what we as fans were doing that was so wrong, but it is locked. Apparently, in addition to long dismissed fan stereotypes, some of their posters fill threads with sexy women photos, etc. A few of them protest, as there are female hockey fans and )perhaps more importantly to them) it makes it harder for them to peruse hockey threads at work.

There were far less Oil fans than we typically see for Hawks, Wings, or any other original 6 team that visits. The Oil fans in front of me actually had 4 different jerseys, so I got a quick history lesson on them, it made for nice discussion. TBH, if they are hockey fans, we should be more friends than enemies.

Reactions: eartotheground

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
A few posters implied we were booing our own team, not the refs. I was going to go into their thread and ask what we as fans were doing that was so wrong, but it is locked. Apparently, in addition to long dismissed fan stereotypes, some of their posters fill threads with sexy women photos, etc. A few of them protest, as there are female hockey fans and )perhaps more importantly to them) it makes it harder for them to peruse hockey threads at work.

There were far less Oil fans than we typically see for Hawks, Wings, or any other original 6 team that visits. The Oil fans in front of me actually had 4 different jerseys, so I got a quick history lesson on them, it made for nice discussion. TBH, if they are hockey fans, we should be more friends than enemies.

As an Oiler fan I really hated you guys from our crazy amount of playoff games against each other.
However, that rivalry was fun and I have overtime really grown to respect the Stars and its fan base.
You guys deserved the win, but this happens in hockey too many times.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I’m not that surprised or annoyed by the loss
If I were a Star's fan... I would've been really annoyed after last night. You guys kicked the shit out of us. I think shots were 25-9 when RNH scored the goal. This was one of those 'sometimes the better team loses' type games. Plus, the Ennis to Benn highstick was a really bad missed call. They did call AA for nothing a little later to make up for it at least. I forgot his name, but your Russian Rookie is outstanding. He was everywhere and everything all at once.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
If I were a Star's fan... I would've been really annoyed after last night. You guys kicked the shit out of us. I think shots were 25-9 when RNH scored the goal. This was one of those 'sometimes the better team loses' type games. Plus, the Ennis to Benn highstick was a really bad missed call. They did call AA for nothing a little later to make up for it at least. I forgot his name, but your Russian Rookie is outstanding. He was everywhere and everything all at once.
Thanks for the reply @Czechboy. Honestly, I wasn't that annoyed about last night because the Stars played an overall great (but not perfect) game and were largely affected by things out of their control. The reffing things happens to every team, so it's hard to complain; and teams using that as an excuse bothers me for some reason. In this one, the Oil goalie simply outplayed the Stars, which is an element of hockey that can make it both nerve-racking and exciting. What really annoys me about the Stars is when they play poorly or in a way that they flat-out just don't deserve to win. They have a bunch of highly-talented and highly-paid players, and they should be "in" most (if not all) games against any opponent. Because of that, it's pretty obvious when they're kinda mailing-it-in.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I need to look at our shooting %. I would bet all our talented players are below their career average. And, last night at least, we can't say it was our system. We can only hope the shooting % and puck luck just start to even out as the playoffs begin.

Gotta look at the bright side. For years, the Stars had a March swoon that took them out of the playoffs. This year (so far) its a series of getting 1 point rather than 2, and having a winning record in a tough February, but Avs and Blues are just playing off the charts right now and we can't keep up. Doesn't look like we get more than third right now, but fortunes could reverse to get us home ice advantage. Small chance, but it could. I think the Blues and Avs really are better teams than us.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
I'm behind what other Oiler fans have said here - Dallas "deserved" the win based on play - and this Stars team looks quite good overall too. It's got quality in all parts from the net out, a nice mix of veterans and youngsters. I don't think any team will find it easy to get by them in the playoffs. Nice to see Sekera doing well, he was a great team player for the Oilers.

Reactions: Kalamazoo Wings
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Start Faksa and Comeau in OT -> Fans complain -> Team wins

Start Dickinson and Gurianov in OT -> Fans rejoice -> Team loses

Bowness really needs to stop listening to dumb fans who've never even worn ice skates ;)

But seriously, Gurianov is bad in OT, I can't think of one shift for him that went well this season. It's fine if it's not part of his skill-set yet, just leave him on the bench until everyone else is gassed.

Also, after Radulov took a stupidly and unnecessarily long shift, Gurianov hopped on to finally join his line, and then like 15 seconds later he was the first of his line to go to the bench. He really needs to stop doing that crap and "MOAR ICETIEM!1!" complaints need to DIAF until he starts playing like a regular NHLer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->