65th Overall - Jayden Grubbe

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
So, this pick is whatever for now. Maybe he'll eventually be a good third line C.

What upsets me most is that players like Pinelli and Raty, even Chibrikov and a few others, were still available in Round 2 and we couldn't find a way to move up or get a 2nd. Or that we didn't have our 2nd to begin with I guess.

But getting one of Raty or Pinelli would have made the 1st round pick of Othmann feel so much better. I legit thought Raty could go as early as 16, and even Pinelli, if there was a run on Centers. I think Pinelli at least is extremely underrated by some and could have a big future. Kings and Islanders got very lucky in Round 2 with those picks.

I guess call me skeptical in terms of Drury's first draft. I'll believe it when I see it, the players being wise selections that is. I guess Korczak is a nice add where we got him.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
I know I am in the minority here but I love this pick. This guy is our future Captain and he is a definite 3rd line center with 2nd line upside. Redline report compared him to Josh Anderson

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I know I am in the minority here but I love this pick. This guy is our future Captain and he is a definite 3rd line center with 2nd line upside. Redline report compared him to Josh Anderson
I dont see the grit in his game like Anderson who I wanted, although he does get hurt at least once a season, Habs got a good player in him.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Per Elite Prospect:
One of the draft’s biggest wildcards, Jayden Grubbe has the potential to out-play this ranking. A rare draft-year captain of a WHL team, he looked the part of a second-rounder until a knee injury ended his season after just five games.

If there’s a defining skill here, it’s Grubbe’s defence. He’s less aggressive, and more quietly intelligent, eliminating off-puck threats, reading switch offs, and constantly scanning and adjusting. In transition, he builds speed under the puck, pushes plays to the middle, and finishes his off-puck routes to create space behind him.

Grubbe’s mechanics project as NHL average, with his skating posture lacking consistency with wide recoveries, but getting into a proper knees-over-toes, hips-engaged stride. While shooting isn’t his game, he generates downward force by kicking his inside leg back, then pushes his hands in front front for power generation and release speed. He keeps his top hand off his hip while handling, improving his range of control. He uses changes of pace to freeze defenders, and flashes 1-on-1 skill in read-and-react situations.

Offensively, Grubbe’s more of a small-area playmaker who moves pucks off the boards quickly. There are flashes of high-level playmaking, like manipulating defenders to open a cross-slot passing lane, but he usually makes the simple play. That passiveness is the core limiting factor to Grubbe’s game. He plays system hockey without much creativity, he doesn’t use his tools to get defenders on his back, and he settles for the perimeter too easily.

Despite the shot, Grubbe’s doesn’t position himself into scoring areas. He tends to stand around the net instead of between checks or establishing body positioning. Surely, some of that’s structural, but he could be much more effective within the confines of a stationary net-front presence.

All of this, however, comes with an asterisk: passiveness with the puck and an over-reliance on playing system hockey are pretty common for first-year players. If his season wasn’t cut short, perhaps Grubbe shows more creativity and confidence. If that’s the case, perhaps Grubbe becomes a third-line centre. If not, his odds of becoming a fourth-line centre are still decent.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Tom Brady was considered a reach. That didn’t turn out too bad.
Everytime I see this, i just have to think: Yknow who else were considered long shots in an NFL draft?

Andrew Quarless, John Skelton, Arthur Jones, Chris DeGeare, Brody Eldridge and Stevenson Sylvester.

Who?

Exactly. Just a bunch of guys picked within 15 picks of each other.

Might have heard of Quarless. he apparently fired a semi automatic wildly into the air in order to assert his dominance over some girls sitting in their car after they said "ew get away from us". They found Mr. T-pose hiding in the bushes behind a nearby tavern LOL. Long shot wasnt supposed to refer to him firing a weapon into the sky like a stupid asshole

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

I honestly don't see anything more than a possible future 4th line center here. This was actually my least favorite pick of our entire draft. Think we took him way too early with much better players still available. And a player like him could still be gotten in rounds 4-7. I think even Korczak was a better value pick where we got him.

I would love to be proven wrong about Grubbe. But I just don't see it. And I would be ecstatic if he did become an actual NHL 4C. Right now I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up a career AHLer.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Everytime I see this, i just have to think: Yknow who else were considered long shots in an NFL draft?

Andrew Quarless, John Skelton, Arthur Jones, Chris DeGeare, Brody Eldridge and Stevenson Sylvester.

Who?

Exactly. Just a bunch of guys picked within 15 picks of each other.

Might have heard of Quarless. he apparently fired a semi automatic wildly into the air in order to assert his dominance over some girls sitting in their car after they said "ew get away from us". They found Mr. T-pose hiding in the bushes behind a nearby tavern LOL. Long shot wasnt supposed to refer to him firing a weapon into the sky like a stupid asshole
I played against Quarless from age 10-12 travel baseball. I think my town faced him in the County championship for Williamsport both years.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I played against Quarless from age 10-12 travel baseball. I think my town faced him in the County championship for Williamsport both years.
The fact you happened to actually play against this dude irl and I happened to bring his name up randomly here is hilarious. Makes me think of whatsisface... the russian goalie talking about universes. Bryzgalov? Real big universe stuff there

Reactions: Chytilmania

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
A player I mocked to us countless times before the draft. I had a feeling he'd be on our radar, and so did @ramp5 who called this exact pick on June 2nd, bravo kid !
Thanks for the shout out. Yeah Jayden has NHL player coded into his character. When I am able I will pst an interview he did last year and he is a mature grounded young man. I believe he will be a useful NHler with a long career. Hopefully it will be with us.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

"So special, in fact, that Sutter knew after Grubbe finished his 16-year-old season in 2019-20 that he was looking at his next Red Deer Rebels captain.
It is not customary for a 17-year-old kid to captain a major junior team. But then again, Grubbe isn't a customary player, and what Sutter saw from him during the season prior made a couple things clear: that there was no harder worker on the team, and there was no one who set a better example for the players around him.
Just before the 2019-20 season, Sutter and Grubbe sat down for a meeting. They talked about what it would take for Grubbe to take the next step, to get to the next level. They talked about being a big, strong guy who's hard to play against. They talked about responsibility at both ends of the ice. They talked about the commitment it would take, the hard work it would take, the sacrifice it would take to get to where he wanted to be.
Then, for the next six months, Sutter saw Grubbe do each and every one of those things.
Grubbe sacrificed offense for defense. He spent countless hours in the video room with his coaches. He became something Sutter and his staff were always hoping he would be: a complete player. "

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad