65th Obsequious Banter Thread: Where everyone gets a passing grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The whole second season was just ****.

The only comparable to the dropoff between season one - one of the great all-time seasons of any show, start to finish - and season two - one of the most execrable things I have ever had the misfortune to view - is what happened to "Heroes" starting with the season one finale. That series dropped into the toilet from the opening scene of that finale and never recovered. The big difference is that "Heroes" never reached anywhere close to the level of "True Detective" in the first place.

Reactions: wankstifier

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
The only comparable to the dropoff between season one - one of the great all-time seasons of any show, start to finish - and season two - one of the most execrable things I have ever had the misfortune to view - is what happened to "Heroes" starting with the season one finale. That series dropped into the toilet from the opening scene of that finale and never recovered. The big difference is that "Heroes" never reached anywhere close to the level of "True Detective" in the first place.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world." Man, that show turned into a convoluted mess.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I would contend that the writing in both the 1st and 2nd seasons was equally terrible. With the wrong lead, it should have been predictable that the show would flounder.

Main problems with the writing: poor characterization and lack of narrative flow. I think McConaughey and Harrelson lifted a mountain to add depth to their characters. There were moments when I thought they failed, but they mostly shined. McAdams tried her best; that character was just such horseshit. Also, both seasons had long non sequiturs that didn’t add much to the stories. IIRC, season 2 was more riddled with nonsense than season 1.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I think that movie is a masterpiece.

Also gave me more reason to crush on Janelle Monae. She’s really amazing in her bit of screen time

She really was. Flawless movie. I was utterly captivated from the very start.

As much as I love Avengers and the MCU, watching movies like Moonlight are what defines true cinema. Absolute artistry.

Reactions: wankstifier

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
With some critically acclaimed movies the hype surrounding it can inevitably cause a let down when you see it. With Moonlight though, I feel the hype was accurate.

Sure, I get that, but I just thought it was a bit pandering, and some of the performances seemed unintentionally like caricatures and not characters.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
It’s early but I saw someone say it looks like we may be getting a big storm next weekend, and I start my first full time job out of college next Monday. I don’t want to start with that commute, please no.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
It’s early but I saw someone say it looks like we may be getting a big storm next weekend, and I start my first full time job out of college next Monday. I don’t want to start with that commute, please no.

Congrats on the new job :thumbu: monday is a week away yet anything can happen.

Reactions: Jray42

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
As of now, looks to stay to the South again, but it is a week away, so a lot will change

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
Every DC movie I’ve seen has been trash. Didn’t even watch Justic League or Aquaman.

(I don’t count Nolan’s Batman trilogy as a DC movie)

tumblr_mzv3ljhsRm1qa69wso2_r2_500.gif

tumblr_pc8d2p2xrL1r6vy8ho2_540.gif

roPcmAO.gif

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I feel bad ripping people for liking comic movies now days. But i can’t help myself. I can’t see the entertainment value in them at all at this point. It’s just the same cheesey CGI junk over and over again

The content fits the book format a lot better IMO. Or an animated movie or TV show fits better than live action.

All my opinion of course.

Reactions: Hakroach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad