Post-Game Talk: #65 | Flyers vs Hurricanes | March 9, 2023 | 7:00 PM | BSSO, NBCSP

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’ve always liked Foerster, but how the very people who drafted him have described him — or not described him — for 2.5 years tells me all I need to know about how simplistic and banal the evaluators are. They can’t even identify and describe what a player they drafted does well. How on earth can you then develop a player?

I legitimately believe they don’t understand their own sport on a nuanced level. And I’m not being dramatic. Someone like Morey goes on a podcast and sounds like a basketball nerd in the best and most passionate way. Can you even imagine having a learned hockey conversation with Fletcher and Flahr? Golf shirts and cliches.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I’ve always liked Foerster, but how the very people who drafted him have described him — or not described him — for 2.5 years tells me all I need to know about how simplistic and banal the evaluators are. They can’t even identify and describe what a player they drafted does well. How on earth can you then develop a player?

I legitimately believe they don’t understand their own sport on a nuanced level. And I’m not being dramatic. Someone like Morey goes on a podcast and sounds like a basketball nerd in the best and most passionate way. Can you even imagine having a learned hockey conversation with Fletcher and Flahr? Golf shirts and cliches.
But does he block shots and hit?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Well the guy does have a BS in Comp Sci.

Seems like that guy has been in the statistical modeling department for quite some time.

The Flyers just routinely pay out long term money to non factor/detrimental players.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Well the guy does have a BS in Comp Sci.

Seems like that guy has been in the statistical modeling department for quite some time.

The Flyers just routinely pay out long term money to non factor/detrimental players.
Its all Hexy's fault. ;)

Reactions: BiggE

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I realized my PM was a moron after ~4 months at the job. Chuck Fletcher probably still thinks the senior advisors bring a lot of value. Part of what is necessary at a job if you're not interested in wasting time is learning who to listen to and who to just passively ignore.
Until the entire organization is ripped apart, the flyers are doomed to missing the playoffs at the usual as best one and done in the playoffs. Clarke Scott Homer Barber Flusher they all have to go. If Briere is gm and all the tweedledums are still above him nothing will change.

This team needs an enema!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sandstrom played like the prospect he was before the injuries piled up. A few more games like that (Flyers have him under contract for another season) and he'll be decent trade bait.

Foerster looked really solid, knock Lappy all you want, but he looked like a NHL player.
His two post draft seasons combined: 33 AHL, 19 OHL, 7 WJC-20 games. that's not conducive for development.
This season 56 AHL games, and he looks a lot better now than a month or two ago.

Desnoyers was also solid, despite centering two anchors.

Flyers struggle against quick, tight checking teams b/c well, they're not very talented. It ain't rocket science.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I am not a hockey expert like you guys. But I will put in my prospective.

1. Most of the players "try" hard in a system
2. "Trying" to play hard is great but they do need to succeed.
3. So if they play hard and do not succeed, then why?
4. To answer statement 3,
A. They are not playing "hard" enough
B. The system is not working with the players they have
C. Not enough talent to succeed

Management goes with A. Hockeysfuture [Flyers Section] thinks B and C are the correct answers.

Am I missing anything?

Although it is Friday...........Saturday night is a fine night too.......

I did see the Yellow Brick Tour at the Spectrum, probably1975........great show.......

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
On defense the Flyers consistently dump out; on offense they dump in (and are not fast enough to catch up). Carolina consistently carries the puck out and in....this is a much more enjoyable form of hockey to watch

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Flyers try to pass it out of the D-zone and into the O-zone, they're just not very good at it.

Some of this is talent, some of this is inexperience - a lot of the younger Flyer players lack ice vision right now, they panic under pressure and just shove the puck forward without looking for a teammate. Which is why they struggle so much against quicker teams that provide smaller windows.

This is what happens when you rebuild and have a lot of inexperienced players on the ice.
Even if they're more physically talented than veterans, it takes time (often years) before the game slows down for them and they can make plays when pressured.

Watching JVR and Hayes, and Voracek before them, one of the Flyer obsessions seemed to be size with skill without toughness, which is a little weird, but probably goes back to when you could clutch and hook, so big players could handle that sort of contact and still make plays. The changes in the last decade have made that kind of player less valuable as "smurfs" have more space to maneuver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad