Post-Game Talk: #65: FLYERS 5 at Rangers 3, Sunday, Mar. 1, 2020, 12:00 pm ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Holy shit, Therrien learned something?
I like that sometimes players are switching spots now on the PP.

A lot more rotating going on. (G sometimes going behind the net & TK going to the left wall; Couturier sometimes being a 2nd man down low instead of just slot; G sometimes playing the right). It’s showing a lot of flexibility. But TK playing mostly behind the goal line has helped a lot. It’s a good look with G & V on the off-wings. Having a guy play the Simmonds net screen role wasn’t working anymore, going back to last year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Good stuff and yes I agree being down here in Philly land and being a New Yorker most of my life definitely has given me a different perspective on our respective teams and how we root and support them.

Before I moved down here, all I knew about Philly fans were that they were very passionate about their teams and that they hated pretty much every thing New York.

I happened to move to Dtown when I married a girl down here and my move here just so happened to coincide with the very same year my friggen Mets somehow choked and gagged a 7 game lead with 2 weeks to go to your Phillies.

I had made a bunch of friends here and believe me I was razzed and chirped to no end and deservedly so. It was all done in a good natured way and I got to see that Phillie fans and Met fans like myself had alot in common.

Fast forward 3 years and it just so happens my Rangers and Flyers are playing in a "win and you are in the playoffs" game at your barn and once again my boys don't get the job done and somehow Brian Boucher outplays the King and you guys get in the dance and my boyz go get the golf clubs out. It was as devastating to me as the Mets choke was and once again I'm getting razzed and abused by my buds as once again I have to take it.

Bottom line with Met, Jets, Ranger and Knick fans like me. When it comes to our rooting interests, I have found over the years we both share alot in common. Whether your an Eagle, Phillie, Flyer or Sixers fan over the years, both our fanbases knows what suffering and frustration is all about as it seems like our teams have the worst effin luck of any teams in all of sports.

Yes your Eagles won the Super Bowl a few years ago and I was actually very happy for you guys seeing I'm a Jet fan and we have no issue with each other there. In fact I probably hate the football Giants as much as you guys do and so I was very happy for all my long suffering die hard Eagle fan friends that they finally got a Super Bowl win.

I was envious because I could only hope that one day my Jets will win a SB for me(I was too young to remember the Namath Jets SB win)

Both our fanbases in every sport are very passionate about our teams and are very knowledgeable. And tho we are rivals in 3 of the 4 sports, it's very rare that our teams are good at the same time. It looks like things are changing tho as Met and Phillies should be good this year and very soon both Flyers and Rangers will be good at same time.

Unfortunately my Knicks I'm convinced will never be good again in my lifetime and so you guys will always have us there in hoops unless by a miracle we can draft another Patrick Ewing....lol

Bottom line...tho we have bigtime rivalries, we share so much in common the teams that I root for and your teams, tho I'd love to truly hate you guys...I can't. I love my Philly friends and I know that if one of my teams ever won a title and I went to a parade which hasn't happened much for me...Rangers '94 and Mets '86, they would be happy for me just like I was for Philly fans when they beat the Yankees in '08 and the Eagles in '18.

The camaraderie we all share is pretty damn cool and all the razzing and abuse we all give each other during the season is part of the deal and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Knicks/Jets is a hard one-two punch to your face annually.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I like that sometimes players are switching spots now on the PP.

A lot more rotating going on. (G sometimes going behind the net & TK going to the left wall; Couturier sometimes being a 2nd man down low instead of just slot; G sometimes playing the right). It’s showing a lot of flexibility. But TK playing mostly behind the goal line has helped a lot. It’s a good look with G & V on the off-wings. Having a guy play the Simmonds net screen role wasn’t working anymore, going back to last year.

@Magua mentioned it in another post, but you're right, the little wrinkle where G & TK switch off each other (as well as the other wrinkles you mention) makes the PP that much more dynamic and harder to defend.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I guess it's nice that they finally got the PP set up in the obviously correct way, but it's not nice that it took until February to do it.

The good news is that it isn't exactly vital for MT to be making minute and rapid adjustments on a PP once you find the thing that works. In theory it should continue working in most cases, on account of outnumbering the opponent with more space.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think one reason Provorov works now is he doesn't touch the puck that much on the PP, other than to shoot - they have two elite playmakers in Giroux and Voracek so do they need a third?

Which may also explain why they'd have Ghost/Sanheim on PP2, with Giroux and Voracek off the ice, a playmaking defenseman brings more value.

But to be fair, I also think the PP works better against a team like the Rangers that actually allows G and Couts and TK to set up in the slot area - you don't need screens if you have unobstructed shooters 5-10' away from the goalie. The goal that Lundqvist deflected to Couts also had G waiting to pounce right outside the blue paint.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Hate is a strong word and dumb under the circumstances. The disrespect he has faced on this board is ridiculous. He is a pro, had a career in the show, beat an addiction is a family man...the lack of respect is beyond the pale. It's this shit that makes Philly fans look like douches.
IRONICALLY...I WAS ACTUALLY HALF KIDDING... HAVENT SEEN HIM PLAY ENOUGH TO MAKE HONEST ASSESSMENT ABOUT HOW BAD/MEDIOCRE HE IS...BUT **** YOU ANYWAY.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Was it mistake to go back to that "old failing" PP set up?
LOL at some posters & their constant efforts to play “gotcha!” games. I said many times I had no problem trying G & V back on the off wings. My point was that there was more to the PP struggles than simply one magical setup move that was unproductive the first half of last season.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Knicks/Jets is a hard one-two punch to your face annually.

LOL...you have no idea dude...no idea. I blame it all on my Pops. He could have easily been a Giants fan in football but some guy Joe Namath came along, he got a mancrush on him and before you know it, he's taking me and my brother to Jet game at Shea Stadium.

And the Knicks when I was a kid had guys like Clyde Frazier, Willis Reed, Earl the Pearl Monroe...etc and it was hard not to be a Knick fan as they were awesome at the time. For a few years we had Bernard King and to this day he's my favorite player ever...he was amazing back in the day.

That's how it works in NY when your a kid. Unlike here in Philly where you have your 4 teams in the 4 major sports and your choices are made for you when you are born who your a fan of, in NY, there are multiple teams in all the sports and so depending upon who your Dad liked and what part of the NY Metro area you are raised in, that's who you likely will like and support!

I was born in Brooklyn and so my Pops was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan obviously and he hated the Yankees....what do you know...so do I not surprisingly....lol

When they skipped town and went to LA, when the Mets came to town to replace them, he became a Met fan and voila...so was I when he would take us to Shea for both Mets and Jets games.

Anyways, that's how it works and my "bad luck" my Pops god rest his soul just so happened to love the most frustrating teams in NY the Mets,Jets, Knicks and Rangers and so I continue the legacy.

What's interesting tho is most of my Philly friends share alot of the same frustrations as I do with their teams seeing all of our teams haven't had all too many parades over the years and we both hate the Yankees, NY football Giants and the Patriots.

Yeah we may be rivals in hoops, hockey and baseball but the fact that the enemy of my enemy is my friend I believe the saying goes keeps us from hating each other too much.....lol.

Reactions: SnS

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
LOL...you have no idea dude...no idea. I blame it all on my Pops. He could have easily been a Giants fan in football but some guy Joe Namath came along, he got a mancrush on him and before you know it, he's taking me and my brother to Jet game at Shea Stadium.

And the Knicks when I was a kid had guys like Clyde Frazier, Willis Reed, Earl the Pearl Monroe...etc and it was hard not to be a Knick fan as they were awesome at the time. For a few years we had Bernard King and to this day he's my favorite player ever...he was amazing back in the day.

That's how it works in NY when your a kid. Unlike here in Philly where you have your 4 teams in the 4 major sports and your choices are made for you when you are born who your a fan of, in NY, there are multiple teams in all the sports and so depending upon who your Dad liked and what part of the NY Metro area you are raised in, that's who you likely will like and support!

I was born in Brooklyn and so my Pops was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan obviously and he hated the Yankees....what do you know...so do I not surprisingly....lol

When they skipped town and went to LA, when the Mets came to town to replace them, he became a Met fan and voila...so was I when he would take us to Shea for both Mets and Jets games.

Anyways, that's how it works and my "bad luck" my Pops god rest his soul just so happened to love the most frustrating teams in NY the Mets,Jets, Knicks and Rangers and so I continue the legacy.

What's interesting tho is most of my Philly friends share alot of the same frustrations as I do with their teams seeing all of our teams haven't had all too many parades over the years and we both hate the Yankees, NY football Giants and the Patriots.

Yeah we may be rivals in hoops, hockey and baseball but the fact that the enemy of my enemy is my friend I believe the saying goes keeps us from hating each other too much.....lol.

I'm a Redskins fan, I get the futility.

THe Rangers have never been the Flyers' biggest rival while I've been alive. The Penguins and Devils are the evilest of evils.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

THe Rangers have never been the Flyers' biggest rival while I've been alive. The Penguins and Devils are the evilest of evils.

It is interesting though looking at from generation to generation. The boomers hate the Rangers much more than the millennials do. They probably hate the Penguins & Devils less.

It should be interesting what the next generation will think. They probably don’t even care about the Devils as they haven’t really put hard times on us like Dusty Rhodes would say since the 90’s/early 2000’s.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It is interesting though looking at from generation to generation. The boomers hate the Rangers much more than the millennials do. They probably hate the Penguins & Devils less.

It should be interesting what the next generation will think. They probably don’t even care about the Devils as they haven’t really put hard times on us like Dusty Rhodes would say since the 90’s/early 2000’s.

Their first memorable playoff run begins with us beating the Devils, then we lose to them a couple years later, and that's....it. Otherwise we've spent years playing bored non-event unhockey.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
LOL at some posters & their constant efforts to play “gotcha!” games. I said many times I had no problem trying G & V back on the off wings. My point was that there was more to the PP struggles than simply one magical setup move that was unproductive the first half of last season.

You sure talked a lot about the PPs formation when they switched to the one you "wanted forever".

Reactions: Striiker

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

Not sure how old you are but you are correct in that the Rangers and Flyers haven't been the biggest rivals of one another in awhile and it's probably as you elude to an age thing.

Now I'm old enough to remember the days of your Broadstreet Bullies. I was 12 years old when Dave Schultz beat the crap out of one of our dmen Dale Rolfe in a playoff game we played versus one another in I believe 1973 or '74 and no Ranger came to his defense....it was effin embarrassing

That was pretty much the beginning of the end to those really good Ranger teams back than as we started to suck for a few years while you guys won a couple of Cups in a row.

Besides most of the hockey world, Ranger fans especially hated the Flyers because besides the fact the Flyers were so nasty and hateable, they were also very good as they had skilled guys like Rick McLeash, Bill Barber, Reggie Leach and heck even Bobby Clarke as dirty as he was, was a hell of a player.

So besides beating the shit out of teams, the Flyers would also out skill you too. It was a bizarre combination but so very effective and it made the Flyers so damn hateable and frustrating to play against.

My boys had some decent success in the early to mid 80's in the playoffs vs the Flyers as we won a few playoff series where we were bigtime underdogs and so we got a little bit of revenge.

Than in the mid 90's after we won our one and only Cup, we had one last hurrah with Messier, Leetch and the gang and your Legion of Doom boys of Lindros, Leclair, Renberg kicked our asses in the ECF in '97 which helped send my boys into what we say in Rangerland " the Dark Ages" where we sucked and blew chunks for the next 7-8 years.

So yeah if your a Ranger fan like me in your mid 50's, the Flyers are right there with the Islanders as far as the team you most like to beat even to this day.

But I can definitly see a Flyer fan who is under the age of 40 not hating on my Rangers like you do the Penguins for sure and even the Capitals as you guys have had more playoff games vs them two teams.

Bottom line is in order for some hate to be generated, you need two teams to both be good at the same time and than play each other in the playoffs....that's a must!

That's when you can get a rivalry going and that's why I'm pretty damn confident in the next year or two our two teams will start to get the hate generated again seeing both teams should be good at same time.

All we need to do is get to face one another in a playoff matchup and all of a sudden even millennial Flyers fans will start to know what it's like to get some true hate for my Rangers and see why a Ranger Flyer rivalry is unique and special...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: ybnvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->