Prospect Info: 64th Overall, Mattias Norlinder LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Exactly what I thought, bad fate. Joseph was traded to a contender in Drummond, just like Dobson was in Rouyn. Nothing wrong with that. Also nothing wrong with the fact that he didn't make Team Canada for WJC as a 18 year old. Of course he's not an elite tier prospect à la Dobson or Byram, but he has very good chances to make it in the NHL.

Lauzon was a 7th defenseman on the best team in the NHL as a 21 year old. What. A. Scrub.

I'm not saying these will all turn out to be all-stars, but most of them will have a career. If you want to spew your hate, go ahead, but be ready for counter-arguments.

In your initial enumeration, you forgot two of the best young offensive defensemen in the NHL in Chabot and Girard. Québec's defense could challenge any country not named Canada in terms of depth and quality. The province is not the hockey development hotbed it used for many factors including lack of quality coaching. But it's still not too shabby.
About Joseph, I was reffering to the Yotes willing to part away with him in a trade... Also, he failed to make team Canada's squad as a 19 yrs old in his D+2 season, a left side that was wide open... Watched him a couple of times, including the Subway challenge where he failed to impress one more time, was pretty vanilla to say the least...

Chabot is great, never said otherwise, Girard is a nice offensive talent but remains average to below average defensively... You have to think the Avalanche will move him at some point since they have both Byram and Makar on the left side, unless they move Girard on the right side but it doesnt look good about it... Lauzon, we will see, not established yet and no real trait of dominance either...

No way the Q can challenge the OHL and WHL, even less Sweden and probably not even Finland when it comes to develop defensemen, thats not even close... Im not a hater, Im only an observer made in Quebec too, I watch those kids and try to have an objective look regardless where they come from, actually the Q compares more to Russia than anything else when it comes to defensemen...

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
(MOD)

About Joseph, I was reffering to the Yotes willing to part away with him in a trade... Also, he failed to make team Canada's squad as a 19 yrs old in his D+2 season, a left side that was wide open... Watched him a couple of times, including the Subway challenge where he failed to impress one more time, was pretty vanilla to say the least...

Chabot is great, never said otherwise, Girard is a nice offensive talent but remains average to below average defensively... You have to think the Avalanche will move him at some point since they have both Byram and Makar on the left side, unless they move Girard on the right side but it doesnt look good about it... Lauzon, we will see, not established yet and no real trait of dominance either...

No way the Q can challenge the OHL and WHL, even less Sweden and probably not even Finland when it comes to develop defensemen, thats not even close... Im not a hater, Im only an observer made in Quebec too, I watch those kids and try to have an objective look regardless where they come from, actually the Q compares more to Russia than anything else when it comes to defensemen...

Except Makar is a RHD.

Your argument for Joseph is flawed. Did anybody rip apart Suzuki because he was traded? What if Arizona liked Joseph, but preferred Kessel?

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Except Makar is a RHD. Your argument for Joseph is flawed. Did anybody rip apart Suzuki because he was traded? What if Arizona liked Joseph, but preferred Kessel?
Saying he was put in a trade for Kessel only add to my personal observation that Joseph isnt that good of a prospect, I would call him a B prospect right now, maybe he will have an impressive developmental curve, thats always a possibility, but thats pretty unlikely at this point IMO.

Edit: About Suzuki... First, he made TC in his D+2 season. Secondly, was named MVP of the last OHL playoffs and thirdly, was traded by the guy who traded Filip Forsberg for Martin fckn Erat... Not sure McPhee would still trade Suzuki if he had a crystal ball and saw the year the kid just had... Well, Mcphee being Mcphee, you never know but still...

Last edited by a moderator:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Coach Björn Hellkvist: Mattias Norlinder "has the whole package"

The fact that he didn’t spend the full year with the senior team could be used as a strike against the young defender, but Coach Hellkvist clearly explains that it was a conscious decision of the coaching staff.
“Very early last season, it was evident that he was too good for the Juniors. We only waited for the right moment to bring him into the senior team so it wouldn’t backfire and hurt his development.”

His coach is very high on him and thinks he could be in the NHL by next year (although I will admit the quote could be interpreted as him being ready to come over too).

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
That

The fact that he didn’t spend the full year with the senior team could be used as a strike against the young defender, but Coach Hellkvist clearly explains that it was a conscious decision of the coaching staff.
“Very early last season, it was evident that he was too good for the Juniors. We only waited for the right moment to bring him into the senior team so it wouldn’t backfire and hurt his development.”

His coach is very high on him and thinks he could be in the NHL by next year (although I will admit the quote could be interpreted as him being ready to come over too).
That's some incredible praise. "I want him to improve all phases of his game, and he should be a leading defender both with Modo Hockey and in the Allsvenskan. I would be extremely surprised if he doesn’t become one of the defensive leaders on the World Junior Championship team, too."

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Really hoping he does make Team Sweden as they certainly have a solid group of blueliners and it's his last shot. Getting that experience and just the fact that he made it would be great to see. Going to be very interesting what the plan is for him after next season. AHL or SHL or NHL if he's ready but that seems hard to believe at this point since he's played so little above the J20. Of course that could change a lot by the end of the year after a full season in Allsvenskan. I can't remember how easy or difficult it is to get streams of their games since we haven't had anyone there for some time, but I'll find out in 2 months.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Hi Made this little scouting report on Norlinder. Hope you guys enjoy !

great video, thanks!

You don't like his shot but those last few goals were lasers imo. Either way for it being one of his worst traits doesn't look bad at all from my angle.

Really surprised at his tools. Call me crazy but I think he could end up better than Struble. Struble being a man against boys is really tough to call. Liking both these picks more and more.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I love watching him. But somehow, he is Claude Julien's worst nightmare. Yet, great pick. You pick talent. You don't pick because of the coach he has. Players will be there. Coaches are replaceable.

But he is always moving. So dynamic. Love him. I don't think that this pick was and will be questioned.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I love watching him. But somehow, he is Claude Julien's worst nightmare. Yet, great pick. You pick talent. You don't pick because of the coach he has. Players will be there. Coaches are replaceable.

But he is always moving. So dynamic. Love him. I don't think that this pick was and will be questioned.

He seems fine defensively though, no? I'd think Struble would give CJ more fits than Norlinder imo.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He seems fine defensively though, no? I'd think Struble would give CJ more fits than Norlinder imo.

Not his work defensively rather than his tendancy to be a rover out there and continuously dive down in the attacking zone. Personnally, I'M freakin fine with it. He has the skating to come back. Just saying....chances are you will have a Julien, if still there, asking him to tone down a bit...

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He seems to be used exclusively on his weak side with Modo and to have carte blanche to carry the puck in every situation. His coaches really do like and trust him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

This is how I wanted to handle Kotkaniemi last year. Not upset that he made the NHL but I think the only reason he made it was cause our center depth was shitty. All he had to do was beat out Pleky, DLR, and Peca. For a talented 18 year old kid who plays the center game the right way, it was not that difficult. I prefer more patience and I would of liked for him to dominate a development league prior to the NHL. Not worried about what we actually did but it's not my personal strategy

Caufield, Struble, and Norlinder look like 3 very good picks. Did the Habs hit again in the 2nd round? That would be 3 drafts in a row and very impressive if we did. Lets see how these 3 look at the half way point of next season. Would be nice to see all 3 in the WJC!

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013

Makar Is Rd

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is how I wanted to handle Kotkaniemi last year. Not upset that he made the NHL but I think the only reason he made it was cause our center depth was ****ty. All he had to do was beat out Pleky, DLR, and Peca. For a talented 18 year old kid who plays the center game the right way, it was not that difficult. I prefer more patience and I would of liked for him to dominate a development league prior to the NHL. Not worried about what we actually did but it's not my personal strategy

Caufield, Struble, and Norlinder look like 3 very good picks. Did the Habs hit again in the 2nd round? That would be 3 drafts in a row and very impressive if we did. Lets see how these 3 look at the half way point of next season. Would be nice to see all 3 in the WJC!

Pitlick and Fairbrother also looking good. That's 5 so far. I look forwardcto hearing more about the Russian and the goalie.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pitlick and Fairbrother also looking good. That's 5 so far. I look forwardcto hearing more about the Russian and the goalie.

I hear good things about Pitlick but I'm not high on Fairbrother (not yet anyways). I would love surprises in the later round but not expecting it. My eyes are on Caufield, Struble, Norlinder and Pitlick. As far as the other guys, it's very possible some can surprise and it's too dam hard to tell right now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hear good things about Pitlick but I'm not high on Fairbrother (not yet anyways). I would love surprises in the later round but not expecting it. My eyes are on Caufield, Struble, Norlinder and Pitlick. As far as the other guys, it's very possible some can surprise and it's too dam hard to tell right now.

My excitnent for Caufield and Struble are largely based on what the scouts say, but also seeing them at development camp. I was impressed with Pitlick and Fairbrother at development canp. With Norlinder it's all about the recent interview with his coach.

I have neither seen nor heard anything about the goalie or the russian with the long name. So they're both complete unknowns to me. Don't even have any speculation and hearsay on them, unlike the others...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My excitnent for Caufield and Struble are largely based on what the scouts say, but also seeing them at development camp. I was impressed with Pitlick and Fairbrother at development canp. With Norlinder it's all about the recent interview with his coach.

I have neither seen nor heard anything about the goalie or the russian with the long name. So they're both complete unknowns to me. Don't even have any speculation and hearsay on them, unlike the others...

I will have to admit as well, most of my opinions come from what reports I can read and some videos.

Caufield: The kid has scored at every level. Close to goal/game too! The only concern in his game is size. The rest of his game it top notch

Struble: I fell in love when I saw his post draft interview. Then I watched some video on him and he really reminds me of Subban. Not saying he turns into Subban for sure but it's the same post draft feeling. A strong boy who skates very well and likes to join the rush. Very confident in their abilities as well. I like this

Norlinder: Seems like late bloomer and injuries set him back. Another great skater with size and skill and lots of people saying good things about him.

Pitlick: Hear some very good comments by Habs fans who watched development camp. I trust them in what they saw

Fairbrother: Physical D man with average skating. Not expecting much from him. Hope he proves me wrong. Likely another Walford type potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad