Prospect Info: 64th Overall, Mattias Norlinder LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
It's early and it's not the SHL or Liiga league he is playing in. Regardless, he is off to a great start and appears he is past his injuries? Lets see how he looks at the WJC and if he stands out.

But yeah, those hands and skating look impressive. Our LD side is way stronger than the RD side in terms of our prospects. Way more options too. I suspect they go after a few RD's in the next draft or two. Need another forward with a shot like Caufield as well but more like the power forward type
The French Knight

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
It's early and it's not the SHL or Liiga league he is playing in. Regardless, he is off to a great start and appears he is past his injuries? Lets see how he looks at the WJC and if he stands out.

But yeah, those hands and skating look impressive. Our LD side is way stronger than the RD side in terms of our prospects. Way more options too. I suspect they go after a few RD's in the next draft or two. Need another forward with a shot like Caufield as well but more like the power forward type
Not that i disagree on our needs but where are we getting said sniping powerforward when we are looking to draft 12-18 yet again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At 12-18, you can have a good power foward yes and It should be the target this year

Hard to say... There is BPA vs Position of need and this year, we were likely looking for a LD with our 1st round pick but when Caufield is available, you take him. However, if we are in a position where the available talent level is similar, we should go after a RD or Power forward but we need to be careful with the Power forward type these days. I'm talking about a Tkachuk type who has skill, good skating, and is tough as nails. Lets not go after someone big but can't skate.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
if it's any close to the VHL level, then i'd say it's a big gap. probably ECHL to AHL gap

What's the age range in the Allsvenskan? Is that the SHL development league?

I have to admit... my first reaction to VHL was WTF is that? :laugh:. Varsity was my first reaction then I googled it. That's the 2nd highest level of hockey in Russia? Thought that was the MHL?

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
What's the age range in the Allsvenskan? Is that the SHL development league?

I have to admit... my first reaction to VHL was WTF is that? :laugh:. Varsity was my first reaction then I googled it. That's the 2nd highest level of hockey in Russia? Thought that was the MHL?

the MHL is Russia's development league. VHL is the 2nd russian league, tho difference with the Allsvenskan is that there are VHL teams that are parterned with KHL teams (essentially acting like farm clubs too). I don't know much about the Allsvenskan, but i can guess it ranges from barely pro-level & Not fun hockey (VHL) to pro-level but still not fun hockey (SHL)

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Suzuki and Norlinder have proven nothing yet and Tatar is nothing more than a nice complimentary player that we'll be lucky if a team offers a second round pick for. Meanwhile, Patches will probably net 40 this year. Let's stop with this nonsense of how we won that trade. Should have shipped out Bozovin instead.

ouch.

I will say the same thing i said the second the trade happened, even if Tatar is a cap dump we easily won the trade. Just not extending 31 year old pacioretty was a win.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Tend to agree but not going to pretend to be an expert on Euro leagues. How much better? Difference between NCAA and CHL kind of gap?

I would compare the leagues in equal terms, so Liiga vs SHL vs KHL which are the top leagues in their countries, Allsvenskan vs Mestis vs VHL which is their version of the AHL, etc...

Does any SHL team own his rights? If he keeps up this production, does any SHL team step in and try to get him on loan or do they stay away cause they know he might make the trip over seas next year to Laval?

No not from what I'm told, he can not play in the SHL this year although I never looked into it officially so the person that told me could be wrong. It's never happened for as long as I've been following the Hab prospects that we had someone in Allsvenskan and they went up to the SHL during the season. They can go down from the SHL to Allsvenskan or lower but not the other way.

His contract with Modo is up at the end of the season so they might bring him over, the only thing is you get 4 years with the Euros and we could be looking at a crowded blueline in Laval depending on how things go this year with Juulsen, Fleury, Brook. I'm not sure if Norlinder can play both sides or not but I believe he can so that would help. But I've heard he needs to work on his defensive play so it wouldn't hurt to have him play in the SHL next year or two if need be as it should depend on his progress. The good news is that there's a PTA in place with Sweden so if he were to say sign a 2 year deal with an SHL club, we could bring him over as long as it's before the deadline which I'd have to look up. It used to be late June I think.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
the MHL is Russia's development league. VHL is the 2nd russian league, tho difference with the Allsvenskan is that there are VHL teams that are parterned with KHL teams (essentially acting like farm clubs too). I don't know much about the Allsvenskan, but i can guess it ranges from barely pro-level & Not fun hockey (VHL) to pro-level but still not fun hockey (SHL)
There is a promotion/relegation system in Sweden, so every year 2 teams switch places. The quality range can be very wide because of that.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
There is a promotion/relegation system in Sweden, so every year 2 teams switch places. The quality range can be very wide because of that.

Teams don't have to switch places. You can be doomed to the Allsvenskan forever no matter how many times you make the Kvalserien. It's a cruel world.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This trade chain will last forever. Shaw's trade is on that list and it became three picks.

Not quite.

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin sent Shaw and a seventh-round pick at the 2021 NHL Draft to the Blackhawks in exchange for a second-round and a seventh-round pick in 2020 and a third-round pick in 2021.

Habs flipped a 7th round pick for another 7th -- likely motivated by the 2020 draft held in Montreal -- so there is no third pick that was really added.

Also, there is no "chain" to be had when the Habs merely got two picks back for the two picks they traded away to acquire Shaw:

Canadiens acquired (Shaw) from Chicago on June 24, 2016, in exchange for two second-round picks at the 2016 NHL Draft that the Blackhawks used to select forward Alex DeBrincat (39th overall) and defenceman Chad Krys (45th overall).

The two 2nds the Habs traded away were high picks.

The ones they are getting back are a 2nd and a 3rd.

Craig Rivet was a 1992 3rd round Habs pick, hence the chain aspect as he kept being converted into assets that we have now.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The Rivet trade to Sharks sparked two threads that are still going today.

Craig Rivet --> Josh Gorges --> Andrew Shaw --> 2020 2nd + 2021 3rd

Gorges leading to Shaw: Habs got Gorges in the Rivet trade. Habs traded Gorges to Sabres for a 2nd. Habs then used that 2nd from Sabres in the trade to get Shaw. And we still have this thread going today.

Craig Rivet --> Max Pacioretty --> Tomas Tatar + Nick Suzuki + Mattias Norlinder + Jacob LeGuerrier

In the Pacioretty to Vegas trade, Habs got a 2nd Round Pick on top of Tatar & Suzuki. Habs then used that 2nd to get a 3rd and a 5th, where they picked Norlinder with the 3rd and LeGuerrier with the 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad