640 Toronto reporting NHLPA proposal

• Thread starter Vomiting Kermit*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

getnziggywidit said:
That floor is too high at this time.

A $40.5M cap with a "franchise" player exception. I don't think that will fly.

I expect the NHL to come back with some adjustments to this, if it truly is what the NHLPA offers.

Perhaps teams that can't afford this proposal should start their own league, a tier two of the NHL.

A Good Flying Bird*

mr gib said:
where are the crappy teams gonna get 31 mil?

Look, you said it yourself.
Where are the CRAPPY teams going to get $31 Mil?

Screw the crappy teams. You can only damage the sport so much to save the five or 6 floundering franchises.
If the league isn't careful, it's going to have 30 CRAPPY teams.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
York16 said:

- 60/40 revenue sharing on gate receipts

Do not want comment on the rest of this highly hypothetical proposal, but I like this part. Also, I think the teams should share 30% of their local TV/radio revenue with the rest of the league.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
sXe said:
If the owners say no to a 38m cap the PA just won the PR battle. Big time!

And what if they accept the $38M Cap, but reject the franchise player, insist that the $2.2M player compensation and benefits are under the cap, and insist on the salary rollback so that teams that are over the cap don't have to be dismantled?

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Exactly my point, they'd have to negociate. Remember this is just a rumour yet but it certainly would be deemed "bad faith" if they flat out reject a 38M cap cause that will be mostly what the media would report.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
shveik said:
Do not want comment on the rest of this highly hypothetical proposal, but I like this part. Also, I think the teams should share 30% of their local TV/radio revenue with the rest of the league.

So you think a team like Chicago who does not broadcast their home games (i.e. no TV revenue) should share in Toronto's or Dallas's TV revenue who do broadcast their home games and do a darn good job at it. You are rewarding the bad teams for doing nothing and penalizing the teams who are good at it.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Newsguyone said:
Perhaps teams that can't afford this proposal should start their own league, a tier two of the NHL.

Yes, get rid of the 3 or 4 teams. Once again..if they cant stay in buisness with a 38-40 million cap..then they shouldnt even be in the league.

Vic Rattlehead*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Yes, get rid of the 3 or 4 teams. Once again..if they cant stay in buisness with a 38-40 million cap..then they shouldnt even be in the league.

Of course you would say something like that, you're a Rangers fan.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Jacobv2 said:
27 is, IMO, far too young for UFA age.

Not a big fan of the "franchise player" exemption as well. IMO, there should be a cap on this salary as well.

Agreed.

The League will not like the UFA age that young.

The League will not like the franchise player exception.

And the League will not like the Salary Cap Floor.

Thus NO DEAL people!!

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Newsguyone said:
Look, you said it yourself.
Where are the CRAPPY teams going to get $31 Mil?

Screw the crappy teams. You can only damage the sport so much to save the five or 6 floundering franchises.
If the league isn't careful, it's going to have 30 CRAPPY teams.
well we all have to admit expansion caused this mess but how do they get out of it - i don't think even gary has a clue

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
I am so tired of some of these pro player posts.

Fine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK OK lets give in to the players.
In order not to go bankrupt raise the tickets to 300-400-500 per seat and all tv hockey MUST be purchased through NHL with pricing to be 300.00 US per year to watch any hockey at all. All teams will get new arena's paid for be the city they play in or the city loses the team. The all players are auctioned off to the highest bidder right after the rookie draft every year.
Franchise players each get a private jet to fly them in from their NHL supplied condo's in Monaco before every game.
No NHLPA member will ever pay any tax to any city,state,country in the entire world.
And lastly all NHLPA members will receive a minimum of 1 million
fan letters , praising the ground each player walks on.

Yes, I am getting angery and frustrated over all this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
RLC said:

In order not to go bankrupt raise the tickets to 300-400-500 per seat and all tv hockey MUST be purchased through NHL with pricing to be 300.00 US per year to watch any hockey at all. All teams will get new arena's paid for be the city they play in or the city loses the team. The all players are auctioned off to the highest bidder right after the rookie draft every year.
Franchise players each get a private jet to fly them in from their NHL supplied condo's in Monaco before every game.
No NHLPA member will ever pay any tax to any city,state,country in the entire world.

I think you need to step outside, and stop watching CBC waiting patiently for HNIC to magically reappear on the screen.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
McDonald19 said:
Agreed.

Thus NO DEAL people!!

It doesn't matter if the league likes it or not, the league isn't going to get EVERY single thing it wants which is why its called NEGOTATIONS which we have yet to really witness from either side. If the NHL wants a cap they're gonna have to deal with a lower UFA then 31 and I assume if a deal ever gets reached it will be around 27 or so. Lots of people here want to make it so players can't do ANYTHING without the owners in fact "owning" them and it seems to be a little ridiculous at times. Atleast this offer has arbitration in it like a previous offer where there would be NO aribtration, the cap, UFA at 31 and no holdouts which was basically ludicrous. Im not 100% PA or NHL side either so don't think that, I'm still waiting for a deal that is fair for both sides and I have yet to see either side give one. If this is in fact the NHLPA's offer and they say it is indeed negotiable I think this is a very good starting ground to negotiate off of. Especially if they make really good rules at what really is a franchise player. Make it he has to play for the same team for an amount of time or if you tag him he has to stay on your team for so many years to make the requirement. Maybe make the franchise player only someone who was drafted or traded for and NOT signed as a UFA. Make it so you have some wiggle room for teams who build their team correctly through drafting and smart trades. Even make a cap maybe of how much money can go towards the exempt franchise player such as you can sign a player to 10 mill per but only 7 goes towards the exemption. Theres basically TONS of ideas to play with if this offer is in fact true and lets hope once and for all both sides can look at something and say, we both gave some and took some and this is the fairest for both sides were ever gonna get.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
RLC said:

i'm not suggesting contraction - hockey is growing those market's and the youth are picking it up -
10 year's from now all should be well - as for taxes they pay lot's and of course in alberta they pay a tax each time they play in edmonton or calgary - i'll do some snooping around but i have heard you can basically subtract 65 percent of the total contract to agent's, government , and all that stuff - granted it's a privledged life for sure but all that work to develope talent's that pay great isn't really their fault - and as much as everybody boo hoo's the pa proposal's do more to save the game as we know it than gary's -

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Is anyone else sick and tired of the PA's half-measure proposals that add up to absolutely nothing?

A hybrid 40.5 mill cap that, after their "franchise player exemption" brings the cap back up to 50 million?!?!

Right after the league laughs in their face at STILL not getting it, the NHL will declare impasse and shove a 30-25 million dollar hard cap down their throats.

As they should. Dumb players. At this point, I say bring on the replacements... they may not be NHL calibur skaters or shooters, but ill tell you what: theyd know a good deal when they see one, and I can cheer for people who are playing for the love and a chance the play in the NHL... not a bunch of punks who think people will watch their "Our Game to Give" nonsense meanwhile theyre DESTROYING the game. :shakehead

CoolburnIsGone

I'm still waiting to see a link in some major media outlet to substantiate this rumored proposal. Without it, its just another rumor without substance. If there is some of it to be true, then the league should negotiate off this and get something done. The NBA works with cap exceptions (which is what the franchise tag is) and it will work in the NHL. In fact, for quite a few teams, they need that franchise tag to get under the cap. The deal breaker for the league is obviously the revenue sharing because they'll never agree to it and we all know that its half of the solution to the league's problems.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
no13matssundin said:
Is anyone else sick and tired of the PA's half-measure proposals that add up to absolutely nothing?
Anyone sick and tired of ridiculous NHL offers?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
This is very workable for both sides... the numbers can go up or down a bit and the UFA age needs to be a bit higher, but what do you radically pro-owners guys expect?

The cap number isn't ridiculously high when you consider the revenue sharing.

Anyone trying to fudge the numbers so that the cap is $50 million is just being stubborn. Since when does every team have a player making over $10 million? If they did, it'd be basically dead salary... teams wouldn't be adding $10 million in player value to their roster, they'd be adding one player of substantially less value than they could get out of multiple players with the money if they were allowed to. If a team can afford the additional money for just one player, it isn't going to ruin the entire system and turn the rich teams into dynasties, nor will it dictate a rise in non-franchised slaries. It is just one player and does not represent a "loophole" by any means. On top of that, I'm sure most franchised players would end up getting $7 million or less. And on top of that, I'm sure any sort of final agreement would have many imits dealing with the exemption, not the least of which would be a cap on it.

I do like the idea someone said about giving some cap exemptions for players who have been with a team for a long period of time. In fact, it is the best non-traditional idea I've heard in conjunction with a cap.

The NHLPA isn't going to be offering anything better numbers-wise, but that isn't to say they wouldn't accept something lower in a counter-offer.

If this is indeed a real proposal, a deal is inevitable. If it isn't inevitable, it would spell doom and gloom as far as I'm concerned.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
McDonald19 said:
Agreed.

Thus NO DEAL people!!

And this is seemingly alright with so many of you... if the league doesn't like anything in the deal it is OK for them to reject it. How close is this deal to what the league wanted rather than what the NHLPA did? The union is giving here, and at some point the league is going to have to.

mytor4*

the union is giving up nothing at all in this perposal. there just trying to fudge it up again.any body with a half a brain would see the union is still shooting for there 50 cap.if they offer this i hope that the nhl walks away and brings the replacement players in no question ask.don't make another perposal back to the union and force the union to come crawling back with the union[NOTE with the union] making the offer that the nhl wants to hear. it would look so good seeing the players break with the words comming out of there own mouths

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
19nazzy said:
Anyone sick and tired of ridiculous NHL offers?

Of course..but you wont here any of these pro-owners admitting it. Half of them wont admit anything less then the NHL proposals are gold! :shakehead

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
mytor4 said:
the union is giving up nothing at all in this perposal. there just trying to fudge it up again.any body with a half a brain would see the union is still shooting for there 50 cap.if they offer this i hope that the nhl walks away and brings the replacement players in no question ask.don't make another perposal back to the union and force the union to come crawling back with the union[NOTE with the union] making the offer that the nhl wants to hear. it would look so good seeing the players break with the words comming out of there own mouths

There giving up nothing? They went from NO CAP to 52 million dollar cap, to 48 million dollar cap and now if this is true they go to 38 million dollar cap. The NHL has went...from 36 million cap...to 42 million cap...and then they went back DOWN on there cap.

mytor4*

this is not a $38 million dollar cap. read in-between the lines .38 +franchise=48to50million dollar cap. as i said the union has offered nothing with this perposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->