640 Toronto reporting NHLPA proposal

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Vomiting Kermit*, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. A poster at another forum I frequent heard this (he said he would fix any errors in his post if need be)...

- Salary cap of $38.5 million, + $2 million for player compensation & benefits
    - Salary floor of $31 million
    - "Franchise player" exemption from salary cap
    - No salary rollback
    - 60/40 revenue sharing on gate receipts
    - Unrestricted free agency at age 27, or 6 years in the NHL
    - Entry-level contracts limited to $1.2 million plus bonuses
    - Qualifying offers @ 75%
    - Baseball-style arbitration

2. FLYLine27*

FLYLine27* BUCH

PO
    WARNING: Take that proposal as a very very small grain of salt since its the proposal EKLUND posted on his site.

3. Motown Beatdown

Motown Beatdown Need a slump buster

Home Page:
    Those numbers are very close to what you know who reported

4. Scoogs

Scoogs Registered User

If true...... This has to end the lockout. It has to. I dont care anymore, this is done.

EDIT: Crap... now that I know the original source of this... I dont like it. I really hope that 640 isnt using him as a source, they would probably become a LAUGHING stock of sports radio in Toronto. Perhaps of the WORLD! :biglaugh:

5. Onion Boy

Onion Boy Registered User

Unemployed
    If that's a hard cap, is that really feasible without a salary rollback?

6. CantHaveTkachev

CantHaveTkachev call on me

Eklund reported this?

god help us all!

7. Scoogs

Scoogs Registered User

I would think so too. But I think the fact that a whole slew of contracts have run dry is a factor. Maybe... I have no clue.

If this is at all true...

Sundin and Belfour eat up almost half of the Leafs salary... lol

8. Eklund is reporting this? lol, oh god.

Anyway, I don't know much other than what the poster said he heard. Here's the rest of his post:

9. Jester

Jester Registered User

i would imagine most teams are at or below that mark by now with contract death having happened... plus once you declare your franchise player that lowers what your "capped" amount is even more.

if that is what the offer is going to be the league HAS to take that. the small teams aren't going to like the franchise player exemption to the cap, but they need to suck it up. one player does not a great team make and they can compete financially with the rest of the roster... if they can't, they should sell and go away.

here's the hoping.

10. FanSince2014

FanSince2014 What'd He Say?

Home Page:
    That floor is too high at this time.

A $40.5M cap with a "franchise" player exception. I don't think that will fly.

I expect the NHL to come back with some adjustments to this, if it truly is what the NHLPA offers.

11. Sixty Six

Sixty Six Registered User

Home Page:
    I would not take this offer right off the bat, if this is the offer that is put forth you know it can be negotiated a little from the NHL's POV, if i could i would negotiate the salary floor down a little bit

12. Flukeshot

Flukeshot Hextall Activate!

9-5'ing
    Don't you all just hate the feeling of hope that comes from hearing these kind of rumors? I really don't see the PA offering something like this. They would've moved their Hard Cap down by about $10m, other than the franchise player.

Taking away the rollback makes sense though. That's the problem with this offer, it makes too much sense and seems to be a result of rational consideration, we all know that isn't possible from either side.

13. BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt ti kallisti

"- Entry-level contracts limited to $1.2 million plus bonuses"

Am I reading this correctly? 1.2 base... then bonuses on top of that? I'm not incredibly well-versed on the old CBA and entry-level salary limits, but that doesn't seem like much of an "upgrade" at all.

Could someone enlighten me on the old CBA entry-level restrictions?

Other than that, it doesn't seem like a terrible proposal, not that I actually believe it will be accepted or even that that is factual report. I've been through too much garbage the last half-year to start getting optimistic.

14. Optimist*

Optimist* Guest

the franchise player will cost 10mm and therefore we are back at 48.5 cap.

15. So in reality the deal is a salary cap of $50.5 million, with no salary adjustment, a massive drop in free agency age and no change to rookie salaries. To which I counter with three proposals.

1) a salary cap of $38.5 million, a 24% roll back, a rookie cap of $900K with amaximum 30% bonus structure, free agency at 29 and agreeing to the last two points.

2) 55% of revenues offer.

3) The NHL opens the doors and welcomes back all players who wish to play under the NHL's 55% offer.

Frankly I'd tell the played to piss up a rope and open the doors to all comers.

16. eye

eye Registered User

Home Page:
    Sorry but the math doesn't come close to getting us an agreement. Cap plus plus plus equals almost 50 mil. X 30 teams. Do the math. It may be a starting point but the final CBA will be in the high 30's hard and mid 30's soft with a floor in the mid 20's and no franchise player exemption.

17. Boltsfan2029

Boltsfan2029 Registered User

Paralegal
    No, it doesn't.

But it sure would have to negotiate off of it. The PA doesn't expect them to take it -- I'd think they'd have to talk about UFA at 28 instead of 27, and they'll have to lower that entry level salary, $1.2M plus bonuses (especially if they are unlimited as they were in the PA's prior proposals) isn't going to help anything. They've already offered to cut entry level salaries, so lowering that shouldn't be a problem. They'll also have to lower that salary floor, $31M is going to be too high for the league to agree to.

I'd be *very* surprised at the 75% qualifying, but that could be their way to "save face" by taking back the rollback -- teams would just qualify their RFAs at 75% (the majority of players seem to be RFA at this point, anyway) & negotiate their new contracts from there, but the PA can say they successfully denied the owners the rollback.

Not sure what "baseball-style arbitration" would be, other than the "either/or" choice for the arbitrator. Can teams take players to arbitration or is that an avenue restricted to players only?

All that both sides need now is template that's not so offensive to either side that they can work with it. Anyone who expects that either side's offer is going to simply be accepted at this point without negotiating is fooling him or herself.

18. BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt ti kallisti

Hrmmm. Good point. The more you read that "offer" the worse it looks, actually.

19. mr gib

mr gib Registered User

rock and roller
    Home Page:
    where are the crappy teams gonna get 31 mil?

20. Don't ask me; I'm just the messenger. ^_^

21. Jakomyte

Jakomyte Registered User

I would assume from the revenue sharing (60/40 gate)... which, if it is true, is actually a substantial plan... I think this might be getting overlooked as something the owners would reject as the big market teams seem to want to just sit on their profits and let the small market teams sink.

22. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    27 is, IMO, far too young for UFA age.

Not a big fan of the "franchise player" exemption as well. IMO, there should be a cap on this salary as well.

23. Boltsfan2029

Boltsfan2029 Registered User

Paralegal
    A $10M salary is mandatory?

We've got several players who could all be considered "franchise" and not a one of 'em makes close to that, even Khabibulin is under $7M.

24. Flukeshot

Flukeshot Hextall Activate!

9-5'ing
    I don't think that players would be getting $10m contracts too often. That would make them untradable under this system. Yes a very few elite players would be up there, but most contracts would drop down. If you take an average of the top paid player from each team, whose contract was signed in the past two years, I think it would drop down to an avg. of 7m (yes that is a vague guess).

The definition of a Franchise Player would be necessary too. Something to prevent teams from throwing it on their highest paid player each season would be required.

I think this rumored and likely false offer, would be very negotiable, if the NHL will come off linkage, which they said they were willing to do up to April 8th I believe.

25. X0ssbar

X0ssbar Guest

Eliminate the "franchise" loophole and I think there may be something to negotiate from here.

However, I think the 'PA's strategy is to include some sort of loophole that they know the agents and owners will exploit later on thus screwing things up all over again.

Like it or not, there will not be a negotiated CBA until the owners feel the agreement is air tight and will protect them against themselves. Having a franchise player designation is not 'air tight' IMO and would easily and quickly be exploited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.