Post-Game Talk: #64: Rangers 2 at FLYERS 5, Friday, Feb. 28, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
To add to the Grant/Thompson talk:

By the numbers, it looks like the 4th line was flat out smothering. Like Thompson was 12-3 when it came to shot attempt for/against, 6-1 in scoring chances for/against, 5-1 when it came to actual shots for/against, and 1-0 for high danger. If your 4th line is winning their matchup with those types of numbers, that is perfect.

Now the 3rd line. With the 3rd line you expect more offense but let's be honest, with JVR on the line, it's likely to not be as good defensively compared to Raffl/NAK on the wings. So it makes sense that the chances against will be higher. Grant was 16-17 when it came to shot attempt for/against, 8-7 in scoring chances for/against, 10-9 when it came to actual shots for/against, and 5-2 for high danger.

What is nice to see, is that a pretty much even play in all areas by the 3rd line, buckled down when it came to high danger. Grant was not letting them get to the middle of the ice in our end as much.

In the end, I would still like to see Frost given another chance as the #3C and possibly Patrick. But I don't think Frost will add a big amount of offense with JVR and Pitlick either...and likely is worst defensively. Ideally, I want Frost playing with someone like Jake, TK or Giroux on his wing as I think you get more out of him offensively.

It's almost like playing Ghost with Braun and the 4th line vs playing with Provy, G, Jake, and Couts. One will fetch you a better yield in offense.

But at this point, let's see if Grant/Thompson keep improving as game 2 was much better than game 1. And when an injury occurs, all the guys not playing need to take advantage of the opportunity.

But it it pretty crazy that we are playing without Patrick, Lindblom, Farabee, Frost and Ghost. That is a lot of talent sitting/out.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Two of the around the crease shots came on the garbage time goal shift

shotLoc-2019020994-NYR-EV.png

gameShots-2020-02-28-2019020994-NYRatPHI.png

Love to see it

That's amazingly one sided.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018

By the numbers, it looks like the 4th line was flat out smothering. Like Thompson was 12-3 when it came to shot attempt for/against, 6-1 in scoring chances for/against, 5-1 when it came to actual shots for/against, and 1-0 for high danger. If your 4th line is winning their matchup with those types of numbers, that is perfect.

Now the 3rd line. With the 3rd line you expect more offense but let's be honest, with JVR on the line, it's likely to not be as good defensively compared to Raffl/NAK on the wings. So it makes sense that the chances against will be higher. Grant was 16-17 when it came to shot attempt for/against, 8-7 in scoring chances for/against, 10-9 when it came to actual shots for/against, and 5-2 for high danger.

What is nice to see, is that a pretty much even play in all areas by the 3rd line, buckled down when it came to high danger. Grant was not letting them get to the middle of the ice in our end as much.

In the end, I would still like to see Frost given another chance as the #3C and possibly Patrick. But I don't think Frost will add a big amount of offense with JVR and Pitlick either...and likely is worst defensively. Ideally, I want Frost playing with someone like Jake, TK or Giroux on his wing as I think you get more out of him offensively.

It's almost like playing Ghost with Braun and the 4th line vs playing with Provy, G, Jake, and Couts. One will fetch you a better yield in offense.

But at this point, let's see if Grant/Thompson keep improving as game 2 was much better than game 1. And when an injury occurs, all the guys not playing need to take advantage of the opportunity.

But it it pretty crazy that we are playing without Patrick, Lindblom, Farabee, Frost and Ghost. That is a lot of talent sitting/out.
Amazing it is. Good breakdown on the numbers. Thanks.

Reactions: Tripod

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

@GapToothedWonder

@kudymen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

It also means Fletcher has a lot of flexibility going into this offseason.

I don't expect Ghost to be moved, but if Braun is too expensive, you can do worse than Ghost, Hagg and Friedman as #5-7, with Zamula, Wylie, Kalynuk? Hogberg? York? at LHV.

Same at forward, Grant and Thompson are probably goners, though I think Fletcher might sign Grant at the right price for depth (a Stewart upgrade :laugh:). Pitlick will probably depend on price, maybe a Raffl deal but not a Laughton deal.

Frost and Farabee should be ready for full-time duty next year, Patrick has a good shot at returning, Lindblom is a long-shot, but you have a lot of LHV players with a year under their belt who may not make a move in TC but who could provide depth before the TDL. Bunnaman, Kase, Twarynski, Rubtsov, Sushko, Ratcliffe . . .

Now if he just had a backup goalie lined up . . .

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It also means Fletcher has a lot of flexibility going into this offseason.

I don't expect Ghost to be moved, but if Braun is too expensive, you can do worse than Ghost, Hagg and Friedman as #5-7, with Zamula, Wylie, Kalynuk? Hogberg? York? at LHV.

Same at forward, Grant and Thompson are probably goners, though I think Fletcher might sign Grant at the right price for depth (a Stewart upgrade :laugh:). Pitlick will probably depend on price, maybe a Raffl deal but not a Laughton deal.

Frost and Farabee should be ready for full-time duty next year, Patrick has a good shot at returning, Lindblom is a long-shot, but you have a lot of LHV players with a year under their belt who may not make a move in TC but who could provide depth before the TDL. Bunnaman, Kase, Twarynski, Rubtsov, Sushko, Ratcliffe . . .

Now if he just had a backup goalie lined up . . .
Bunny will be a year older...and have Patrick and Frost. We don't "need" to sign Grant. Pimp will also have to clear waivers so he can be the #13 guy as a last chance to show what he has.

Pitlick....we don't need anymore wingers. NAK and Raffl on the 4th line works this year and will be fine next year.

G Couts Jake
Laughton Hayes TK
JVR Frost Farabee
Raffl Bunny NAK

AND we have Patrick for the top 9....so 10 top 9 guys. And that gives us that 4th line + that 10th forward for the 13...and that still excludes Pimp(who I don't think matters as he too could be waived).

And that does not include any other prospects like hopefully Laczynski, Allison, Rubstov, Kase, etc... So the "need" to sign Grant or Pitlick is just not there. And in fact, we "could" even move JVR for cap reason's if the college kids look good.

As you said, flexibility. But we don't need to "add" by adding our 2nd worst PPG player this year out of 13 guys...and that doesn't include Patrick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd rather have Grant than Vorobyev as my 13th forward, in that case, I'd look to trade Vorobyev for a later round pick and move on.

I think Bunny can be a solid 4C, but do you want him to start the season with the Flyers or on a top six line in LHV to sharpen his offensive skills?

So a lot will depend on the prognosis for Patrick (Lindblom I hope is back in 2021, b/c that means a complete recovery).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad