Post-Game Talk: #64: Rangers 2 at FLYERS 5, Friday, Feb. 28, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Loved the effort but just pump the brakes a second in that Rangers 3 in 4 and Rangers had to comeback day before in third. Tonight was big to feel safe we were making the playoffs.Wednesday/Thursday is big to see how good this team really is.

The Rangers look like a team that will struggle against a good, disciplined defensive effort, they're talented but sloppy and their defensemen (but they're small and mobile!) don't play much defense in their D-zone.

Basically they try to outscore you and hope the goalies will save their bacon.
They should be a tougher team at home, but I'd just keep the forecheck pressure on b/c they're so mistake prone.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The Rangers look like a team that will struggle against a good, disciplined defensive effort, they're talented but sloppy and their defensemen (but they're small and mobile!) don't play much defense in their D-zone.

Basically they try to outscore you and hope the goalies will save their bacon.
They should be a tougher team at home, but I'd just keep the forecheck pressure on b/c they're so mistake prone.
Skeji isn't great but he sure is 10x better than Brendon Smith on D. I was curious why 5x5 rangers were 29th on expected opponent's goals and now I know. Between 3 in 4, Krieder's injury every set up for Flyers last night and they took advantage. Its what good playoffs teams do.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Skeji isn't great but he sure is 10x better than Brendon Smith on D. I was curious why 5x5 rangers were 29th on expected opponent's goals and now I know. Between 3 in 4, Krieder's injury every set up for Flyers last night and they took advantage. Its what good playoffs teams do.

I could tell early on that if we stuck with our game we would wear them down and break through. They absolutely suck in their own zone. They are a quick counter strike team with great goaltending. That's their entire game.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
If CBJ makes the playoffs, it's Torts hands down.

And Sullivan has done a great job, but AV lost Lindblom and Patrick and is winning with a 21 year old goalie, so he's got as good of a case.

Undoubtedly so. AV absolutely should get votes. However, as much as as I am sad for the loss of Oskar and Nolan, losing Crosby or Malkin for a stretch is a different layer. As for the Hart's age, how old was Murray when he became a SC winner?
None of my arguments negate needs for AV's consideration for Adams award.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Some of my favorite comments from the Rangers post-game thread

We caught a break and didn’t. Canes lost in regulation and could’ve put a hurting on us with a win tonight, and Kreider is done. The latter is a killer. I’ll chalk this up to an emotional week of hockey, exhausting third last night, and a 3am arrival in philly. We’re going to **** the motha****** **** out of these Philly Phuccs Sunday. Ps- I’m so tired of Kevin ****** Hayes. Trouba, can you line him up Sunday, please?

No Kreider and no Igor means no playoffs. Whoops. And of course Giroux with a great game. Hate that toothless prick.

Never liked Giroux but its Voracek who always turns into Gretzky against us. Gritty lookin ass.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
AV should be TOP3 for Jack Adams.

But of course Sullivan will win it with Crosby and Malkin.
AV should definitely be in the conversation. The old adage is "Show me a great coach and I'll show you great goaltending." Hart at home is virtually unbeatable, but the Flyers are where they are despite sub par goaltending from both guys everywhere else.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg continues to propel this club forward with his absolute dominant display of luck. All hail our new overlord Hagger

Hagger also had a xGF 71.79 and an xGFrel +9.48, highest of any D-man.

See, you could have actually credited him with a good game, when he has a bad one, a certain poster will be quick to post his bad metrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BrokenStix

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
AV should definitely be in the conversation. The old adage is "Show me a great coach and I'll show you great goaltending." Hart at home is virtually unbeatable, but the Flyers are where they are despite sub par goaltending from both guys everywhere else.

I'm not so sure that Hart is the whole problem on the road. We play completely differently infront of him on the road. It's night an day difference.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Two of the around the crease shots came on the garbage time goal shift

shotLoc-2019020994-NYR-EV.png

gameShots-2020-02-28-2019020994-NYRatPHI.png

Love to see it

Reactions: Striiker

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I'm not so sure that Hart is the whole problem on the road. We play completely differently infront of him on the road. It's night an day difference.
Slow starts generally seem more punishing on the road. I'm not sure they play all that differently, but seem to weather the slow starts better at home.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
He had a nice break up in the first, that's all I can think of though.

He dug the puck out from infront of Hart a couple of times and cleared without icing. He also stripped a few guys clean. I thought he was pretty good all night

Person101

Jul 12, 2019
He dug the puck out from infront of Hart a couple of times and cleared without icing. He also stripped a few guys clean. I thought he was pretty good all night
I was at work watching, so I couldn't watch every play. From what I saw, I thought he was better than the first game. Hopefully he keeps improving, must be weird to spend the whole season waiting till the off-season to being in a playoff race.

Reactions: kudymen

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I was at work watching, so I couldn't watch every play. From what I saw, I thought he was better than the first game. Hopefully he keeps improving, must be weird to spend the whole season waiting till the off-season to being in a playoff race.

I was also sure there was more than 1 play, I was just poking fun there before in the post you quoted.
It always takes a bit to get used to the new team, just like with older Kaše who I am watching with Boston right now

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

Hopefully the plan is for him to slot into the 4c role which would be a major upgrade over bunny. Sorry @Captain Dave Poulin

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->