GDT: #64 - Penguins vs. Sabres at 7 PM ET on MSG-B and WGR

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Pens fans are saying the OT goal was offsides. Any merit to that? I didn't watch OT
Vancouver's offside review goal against us in October or November of 2017 was ruled good for way less possession than what Dahlin had. I can see why they think it's close, but from goals I've seen reviewed for the same thing, this was a consistent call.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
A judgement call. Ruling was that although player entered zone ahead of puck the player had control even though not on his stick when zone entered. Call made in Toronto confirming game officials' decision.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I’d like to see it for a few more games, but wouldn’t it be a nice success for Montour to be our Schultz or Gardiner?

Top 4, rush hockey, competent enough defensively.

If Bogo could put another relatively healthy season, they might have an above average unit.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sheary is our 4th leading scorer among forwards. Not a bad acquisition for a 4th and taking on Hunwicks bum ass.

I think once they bring in one more legit 50+ point forward he will settle in as a 20-20 player next year.

Damning him with faint praise by pointing out his relative position in terms of this team's scoring. As for a 20-20 guy, he's only done that once and that was while riding shotgun for one of the best forwards in the league. That isn't happening in Buffalo.

Reactions: Professor Chaos

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Am I the only one who thought Sheary deflected the shot from Montour that tied it at 3? It definitely changed direction.

Nice for Montour and all, but I think Sheary might have had a legit hat trick tonight.

Reactions: Chainshot

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Am I the only one who thought Sheary deflected the shot from Montour that tied it at 3? It definitely changed direction.

Nice for Montour and all, but I think Sheary might have had a legit hat trick tonight.

Pretty sure it hit the pens d man but it was close

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Sheary is our 4th leading scorer among forwards. Not a bad acquisition for a 4th and taking on Hunwicks bum ass.

I think once they bring in one more legit 50+ point forward he will settle in as a 20-20 player next year.
With all due respect, your goal predictions from certain sets of depth players this summer are going to end up being at least twice as high as what actually happened, so forgive any skepticism you may receive

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With all due respect, your goal predictions from certain sets of depth players this summer are going to end up being at least twice as high as what actually happened, so forgive any skepticism you may receive

It's been more than just this summer.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Was Montours debut at home for a defenseman the best one since Alexie Zhitnik's?

Not talking about expectation, ala Dahlin, but immediate impact...

Just hope he keeps it going.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

think Sheary had a hat trick as well

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
Came here to say I think Sheary had a hatty as well. If so, it's too bad he didn't get the recognition during the game!
Glad we capitalized on a vulnerable Pens team. These are the games that are must-wins.

Wonder if Linus starts tomorrow? Not sure how severe Carter's tweak was on Thurs, even if he was able to backup.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Damning him with faint praise by pointing out his relative position in terms of this team's scoring. As for a 20-20 guy, he's only done that once and that was while riding shotgun for one of the best forwards in the league. That isn't happening in Buffalo.

sheary is at a 38 point pace right now. He scored 53 in 62. He is practically a 40 point guy now playing with anemic linemates and 14 mins a game. Sheary is the least of our problems but of course he cant be thought of positively because then Botterill would get credit.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

I couldn't tell on this video. Looks like it could have been been deflected by Sheary, Okposo or the Pen dman.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
sheary is at a 38 point pace right now. He scored 53 in 62. He is practically a 40 point guy now playing with anemic linemates and 14 mins a game. Sheary is the least of our problems but of course he cant be thought of positively because then Botterill would get credit.
It's not all about points. To win games, you need to have the puck, and not chase the puck. And when Sheary is on the ice, the team spends its time chasing the puck, directly because he has such a hard time receiving passes and keeping possession whenever anyone comes near him.

It has nothing to do with who acquired him. Montour and Skinner and Dahlin and Pilut are all Botterill acquisitions that can possess the puck and play winning hockey. Sheary doesn't do that.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015

I said earlier as well, I believe he had 3 goals tonight.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Post-Game Report: 3/1 vs. Pittsburgh

Final Score

1st2nd3rdOTSOFinalSOG
Penguins
(33-22-9)
Sabres
(30-26-8)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Game Summary
Event Summary

Top Notes
  • With his first three-point game (2+1) since 2016-17, Conor Sheary tied his career single-game high. He now has four points (2+2) in his first two games against his former club and five points (2+3) in his last four games overall.
  • With his goal tonight, Jack Eichel tied his season high with at least a point in seven straight games (5+4).
    • The goal made him the first Sabres player with at least 70 points (23+47) since Jason Pominville recorded 73 points in 2011-12.
  • Sam Reinhart assisted on Eichel’s goal and now has 13 points (6+7) in his last 13 games.
  • Eichel (4+3) and Reinhart (2+5) have each recorded seven points in their last seven games against the Penguins.
  • Kyle Okposo recorded the primary assist on Sheary’s first goal and now has three assists in two games against the Penguins this season.
  • Brandon Montour (1+1) recorded his first two points as a member of the Sabres.
Tonight’s Goaltenders
Tonight’s Stats
TeamGoaltenderDecisionSV%GAA
PenguinsMurrayO.8673.76
SabresUllmarkW.9322.80
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Updated Season Stats
TeamGoaltenderRecordSV%GAA
PenguinsMurray19-10-3.9112.96
SabresUllmark14-8-4.9103.03
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Post-Game Audio
Sabres head coach Phil Housley
Sabres forward Conor Sheary
Sabres forward Jack Eichel
Sabres defenseman Brandon Montour
Penguins head coach Mike Sullivan
Penguins forward Sidney Crosby
Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin
Penguins defenseman Marcus Pettersson
Penguins goaltender Matt Murray

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I know the Sheary conversation is over, but I'd also like to point out that, as we fell out of first place and out of a playoff spot like no team in history ever has, Sheary scored 2 goals against a goalie in 43 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad