GDT: [#64] Dallas Stars at Los Angeles Kings, 9:30 PM CST (FS-SW)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Klingberg's been pretty terrible (relative to his play in the last few years) since coming back from the injury and blocking another shot with his upper body (I believe against Tampa). He hasn't been nearly as smooth offensively and his defense is more reactive than preventive now. Seems like his focus is on something else (an injury).

Wouldn't surprise me if he has another surgery on it in the offseason.

Reactions: serp

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
In my opinion I prefer Val over Ritchie and it’s not even close. Ritchie seems like he’s good for one pointless penalty per game. Sure he fights but it seems like he loses way more often than he wins. He is slow as all hell. Last night he could have had an easy break away, but his concrete feet slowed him down to much.

Reactions: serp

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
serp nailed it when he said neither should be playing.

Zuccarello - Seguin - Radulov
Benn - Hintz - Spezza
Janmark - Faksa - Comeau
Cogliano - Dickinson - Pitlick
Ritchie, Nichushkin

I put Spezza up there since he's definitely better than Ritchie or Nichushkin, and I think his speed and break-in ability could help that line. Depending on how one views Gurianov, Ritchie and Nichushkin are at best our 13th and 14th best forwards.

Reactions: Troy McClure

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If I have to pick one of the two, I prefer Val's game personally, but Ritchie does bring different elements that this line-up sorely lacks (namely the physicality). Ritchie is much better at finishing chances, but he is simultaneously much worse at generating them. He's also one of the slowest forwards on the team.

If I have to play them, it'd be on a game-by-game basis and would depend on who the opponent is (e.g. Ritchie would be better against LA/Vegas, Nichushkin better against Chicago).

Reactions: Smelling Salt

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd rather have L'EnGarde than either of them.

Totally forgot about him, I agree. No one is really moving the needle, but improvements here and there never hurt. I suspect a handful of our AHLers and prospects could do a better job if given the opportunity (even just for af few games).

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Oh yeah I'd easily take Gurianov and L'Esperance over either of them for sure, but neither L'Esperance, Gurianov, Ritchie, or Val will crack the lineup when everyone is healthy I assume unless one of them starts tearing it up (unlikely given their ice time is already under 10 minutes most nights)

I hope that Monty doesn't ruin Gurianov. He's killing his confidence by benching him after literally one mistake. Sucks that Monty is signed on for a few years and has embraced this defensive style. Maybe next season he can loosen up a bit

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I don't know, I'm really kind of torn on how to rank the forwards. I think Ritchie has been okay so far, even with the odd bad penalty, but everyone takes bad penalties. Nuke looked serviceable. Comeau actually did good things. I would be more worried about the quality of the defense and their play through the next 18.

There was a whole lot of opponent forechecking they had problems with, but LA was constantly pulling off without giving up a fight, as opposed to every other team that's been beating our biscuits. It's been a pretty consistent thing in the NHL this year. Teams with good forechecking win games against teams that can't break it and can't get goaltending. Dallas barely beats forechecking, and their goaltending stands on its head night and night out to win.

Dallas doesn't forecheck too well for whatever reason and it's killing them a little bit more than it should, because they run into decent goaltending and enough good defensive play to not score.

So what's the solution to this?

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I think L’Esperance is at his peak . He’s probably not gonna ever be a full time nhl player .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad