OT: 63rd Obsequious Banter Thread: I Wish Lappy Was Gone 63 Days Ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
@FLYguy3911

Have you tried opening and closing the laptop? Perhaps the ribbon cable for the monitor is failing or coming apart? You mentioned that everything works fine with the computer when plugged into an HDMI port ?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@FLYguy3911 , in my experience there is a perfect fix for any and all laptop problems. You start with a seventh-floor balcony and chuck the laptop horizontally from said balcony, preferably onto a hard surface, such as concrete, asphalt, or coconut husks. The ensuing state of the laptop will make any and all problems you have had previously disappear. This process also removes the question of whether or not to buy a new laptop. You're welcome.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
@FLYguy3911 , in my experience there is a perfect fix for any and all laptop problems. You start with a seventh-floor balcony and chuck the laptop horizontally from said balcony, preferably onto a hard surface, such as concrete, asphalt, or coconut husks. The ensuing state of the laptop will make any and all problems you have had previously disappear. This process also removes the question of whether or not to buy a new laptop. You're welcome.

What if he only has six stories

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I was hoping the thread title would be a backhanded dig at Marchand but oh well

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ok, but what if the building is 6 stories with a walkout basement? If he flings it on that side, does it count as 7 stories or does that void your warranty?

There is never any warranty, because who can ever bother filling out that index card and mailing it in? The basement floor wouldn't count - the key is to be seven floors up from the ground. That is the only way to ensure enough of a smash while still keeping enough structural integrity to recognize the pieces and then urinate on them out of spite. The seventh floor is the sweet spot for all that. And to answer your next question, you urinate from the ground floor, not the seventh floor - blowback, collateral damage, etc.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
There is never any warranty, because who can ever bother filling out that index card and mailing it in? The basement floor wouldn't count - the key is to be seven floors up from the ground. That is the only way to ensure enough of a smash while still keeping enough structural integrity to recognize the pieces and then urinate on them out of spite. The seventh floor is the sweet spot for all that. And to answer your next question, you urinate from the ground floor, not the seventh floor - blowback, collateral damage, etc.

Do you also urinate on the warranty card or is it considered polite to lose that right away?

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
@FLYguy3911

Have you tried opening and closing the laptop? Perhaps the ribbon cable for the monitor is failing or coming apart? You mentioned that everything works fine with the computer when plugged into an HDMI port ?

This. If the machine operates properly when plugged into a secondary monitor, then the problem is simply with the main screen. I think you are down to, is it worth it to get the screen fixed or get a new device entirely? Or get a new device, buy a secondary monitor and now you have a new device and basically a desktop.

This will sound insane, but does your (@FLYguy3911) main screen have a brightness level that got turned all the way down? I technically work in the technology department of a school district, but I'm really the educational side of the department. We have actual technicians, who do not always appreciate my "turn it off and on" approach to fixing most of the issues I come across, but I'm pretty good at troubleshooting basic things. One of which is trying to counteract every way the students make their Chromebooks look broken, the first of which is usually turning down the brightness to 0.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I have yet to buy my own place. When I move, it's probably going to be an apartment for a year or two and then we'll see about a house with a mortgage.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I have yet to buy my own place. When I move, it's probably going to be an apartment for a year or two and then we'll see about a house with a mortgage.
If there is any advice I can give, is try and get in a house as young as possible. Why pay $$10,000-12,000 a year for rent when it can be put towards a house...if you can.

This coming December...my mortgage is paid off!! SUV will be paid off in Sept. Looking forward to the freed up cash every month even though I am still going to keep my car payment going, but into a different account to start saving on the next vehicle.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
@FLYguy3911

Yeah too many times to count. This was my fix when this issue first came up, but my screen hasn’t come on in 2 days now.

Afraid of heights. Probably just take a bat to it.
giphy.gif

This. If the machine operates properly when plugged into a secondary monitor, then the problem is simply with the main screen. I think you are down to, is it worth it to get the screen fixed or get a new device entirely? Or get a new device, buy a secondary monitor and now you have a new device and basically a desktop.

This will sound insane, but does your (@FLYguy3911) main screen have a brightness level that got turned all the way down? I technically work in the technology department of a school district, but I'm really the educational side of the department. We have actual technicians, who do not always appreciate my "turn it off and on" approach to fixing most of the issues I come across, but I'm pretty good at troubleshooting basic things. One of which is trying to counteract every way the students make their Chromebooks look broken, the first of which is usually turning down the brightness to 0.
Yeah brightness level is fine. I just threw in the towel and ordered a new one. I was about due anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->