Post-Game Talk: #63: Sabres 2 at FLYERS 5, Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I remember not long ago it was a presumption, a foregone conclusion of many that all of Ghost, Provorov, Myers, Sanheim could not possibly “hit” to their potential. Why? Just because. Things like that just don’t happen; prospects are reduced to percentage chances and not individual talents. We needed to trade one or other valuable pieces for a veteran top 4 defenseman.

Well.....uhhh....think again.

Yet, we have Fletcher last week even lamenting a top 4 veteran defenseman who in all likelihood is inferior to that quartet. Gudas is a helluva 4/5 veteran anyway. Let these horses develop in max usage, and it’s going to be a ****ing wild ride. They’re good now. They are still oozing potential.

I know it'll never happen with this team but I'm fantasizing about Hogberg coming over, wowing everyone in camp and winning a job in September as the No. 6. No more Amac, no more Hagg.

The top 4 look so good together right now it's hard to break them up, but Gudas needs a complementary partner, not Hagg.

Reactions: Magua

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This team looked fast for a change. I know they've had games like this in the past, I hope it continues. Usually it coincides with a poor neutral zone defending team and I don't know if Buffalo is that or not, but man they were just blazing out there for most of the game.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Carrying 7 d-men just so AMac doesn't get butthurt is ridiculous. Hagg also sucks.

You'd think we could just play the best available defensemen - seems like the most obvious plan.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
The Couturier line was amazing tonight. Couts is such a beast. Possibly, Oskar Lindblom's best game ever. He's really, really coming on.

Also, an excellent game for the 6-9 pair heads up versus Eichel. Sanheim looked like a thoroughbred.

Unsurprisingly, Phil Myers looks like the real deal.

How many of us have been saying this for a long time while deadhead assured us he was not NHL caliber?

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
How much of a positive he turns out to be is still going to be tied largely to usage and deployment (and not overpaying him). As long as you don't take the energy to be a sign he needs 17 Mins/night, he can be valuable in that 3/4 swing role.

What I wanted to see were signs that he could be a carried entry focal point on the bottom lines in a different system. I did, so I'm happy.[/QUOTE]

That is so refreshing. As you said, as long as he doesn't get overpaid and/or miscast as a top 6, he will be a great bottom sixer. His zone entry is welcome with open arms (plus his D zone play and hits).

Reactions: VladDrag

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How many of us have been saying this for a long time while deadhead assured us he was not NHL caliber?

Where do you come up with this stuff?
I'm the one who calls him the "unicorn."
However, he's still a work in progress, he "looks" great, then you look at the boxscore and uh oh.
Which is to be expected, even with the extra half year in the AHL it takes times to adjust to the NHL.

"it's the little things . . ."

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I hate AMac as much as anyone but this goal happened because of a failed clear by Coots. It left AMac defending a 2v1 and he gave the goalie the shot.

Agreed that the goal is ultimately on Couts, but I would have loved to have seen AMac make an aggressive play in that situation. Letting Eichel have that kind of time and space that close to the goalie is more dangerous than forcing him to make a shot or pass under pressure.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Uh, I think the SOP in that situation is give the goalie the shooter and take away the pass, since if the pass is made, the goalie is out of position on an easy shot. Whereas the shooter has no room to deke and has to beat the goalie mano mano, which is usually less than a 50% proposition.

Reactions: tymed

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Watching the game right now, I kinda grew to like the jersey-helmet combo. Myers' passing is a thing of beauty

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I was too wiped out to watch the game last night and didn't think it was going to matter much. That'll teach me.

I saw someone say Hartmann was like "Rinaldo with skill" and it made me wonder what the guy's disciplinary history is. I hope there isn't one yet because he's managed to stay on the right side of the edge. I also hope this first game isn't a flash in the pan for him either because he sounds like we just found the marble in the oatmeal!

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I was too wiped out to watch the game last night and didn't think it was going to matter much. That'll teach me.

I saw someone say Hartmann was like "Rinaldo with skill" and it made me wonder what the guy's disciplinary history is. I hope there isn't one yet because he's managed to stay on the right side of the edge. I also hope this first game isn't a flash in the pan for him either because he sounds like we just found the marble in the oatmeal!

Nothing major yet. He's been fined and he had a one game suspension in the first round of the playoffs last season.

He's not a braindead hothead like Rinaldo.

Reactions: Amorgus

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I love Wayne. But it was very refreshing watching the 3rd line 5v5 without him killing offensive possessions with blind spin-o-ram passes to no one.

I really hope he bounces back where ever he signs. Unfortunately for him I don't think he is going to cash in nearly as much as he would have two years ago.

Reactions: Curufinwe

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Uh, I think the SOP in that situation is give the goalie the shooter and take away the pass, since if the pass is made, the goalie is out of position on an easy shot. Whereas the shooter has no room to deke and has to beat the goalie mano mano, which is usually less than a 50% proposition.

Sure, it's the textbook play (badly executed), but it's not the right play. If you have, say, Ovechkin in that spot, you'd better damn well throw out the textbook and adjust your play to the on-ice circumstances (i.e. arguably the most dangerous shooter in league history in the low slot with a million years to pick his spot) rather than mindlessly adhere to SOP. Eichel's not OV, but he's another guy you can't give that kind of time & space to in that spot or he'll beat the goalie 9 times out of 10. You're pretty f***ed no matter what, but AMac's passive SOP there is not the best play for the moment, and it's all part of a larger problem with his overall play

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sure, it's the textbook play (badly executed), but it's not the right play. If you have, say, Ovechkin in that spot, you'd better damn well throw out the textbook and adjust your play to the on-ice circumstances (i.e. arguably the most dangerous shooter in league history in the low slot with a million years to pick his spot) rather than mindlessly adhere to SOP. Eichel's not OV, but he's another guy you can't give that kind of time & space to in that spot or he'll beat the goalie 9 times out of 10. You're pretty ****ed no matter what, but AMac's passive SOP there is not the best play for the moment, and it's all part of a larger problem with his overall play

Yep. Doing anything to pressure that shooter would have been better than playing it as if it's Nodl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->