Post-Game Talk: #63: Sabres 2 at FLYERS 5, Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Fair enough.

LOL he's winning the Ashbee, and he deserves to. He's had the best overall year. 3rd in minutes for the D who's had the best overall year is a ridiculous thing to object to, let alone strenuously object saying "sure as ****".
Absolutely not...

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
DeadUnacceptableGreyhounddog-size_restricted.gif
9x5t.gif

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They might just not award it. I know who has a pretty good case but he’ll never win it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Gudas does have a case for the Ashbee.
The only reason Gudas would be considered for that is because his expectations are so much lower than everyone else’s so meeting them is easy, but there absolutely no way he’s been our best defensemen this year. And I say that as a Gudas fan who doesn’t want him traded and, depending on what happens next year, I might possibly even want him re-signed.

Sanheim and Ghost should be easily ahead and Provorov should still be too, even in spite of his horrible first half of the year. It’s not as if Gudas is any less mistake prone than any of those three and he also doesn’t have the scoring to balance out the rough spots.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
From the GDT:

I have some issues with the pairings and lines (Morin-Gudas seems like a bad pairing, Panarin is a LW) and I wouldn't bring back Raffl, but yes, give us a decent coach and I think it absolutely can contend.

That lineup is beautiful and could certainly be a contending team.

It’s like he doesn’t actually interact with matter. He just is there. Everything happens as if he wasn’t even there, unless he turns it over.

Elliott had a very good game, but his warts are still clear. Plays small and over commits; something that a team that plays him 4-7 times in a row can exploit.

He does look better now that any time over the last season and a half, though.

Don’t put those numbers together please.

Myers looked awesome! Hartman is an excellent player. If we somehow get to the point he is on the 4th line and Gudas is a 3rd pair we are winning the cup.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I have no clue why you guys are happy with that defensemen icetime allotment.

Ghost and Myers barely played more than Hagg.... and Gudas sure as **** shouldn't be 3rd. Ghost continues to be horribly misused and that's a problem.

It's hard to not just be mesmerized by seeing Amac at the bottom of the list.

The press box would be better.

Off roster would be best.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
With the amount of capspace available with that lineup just throw Karlsson a $15+ million, 1 year deal. I mean..

tenor.gif

...can’t bank/rollover cap space in the NHL.

Edit: Get Raffl the F off the team...cheap internal solution or something cheap on the UFA market

I'd love to hear a rational explanation for EK to sign a one year deal, at age 30, that accounts for the risk of injury as well as coming to a team that is a total ' what if' at this point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Knight 8:40, Corsi 72.0%, SCF/CA 10/4, he looked like he had some jump, of course, after watching Varone and Lehtera . . .

One of Voracek's best games, he is such a different player with Couts at center, people who want to break them up aren't watching games.

Myers looked good but 38.71 Corsi, SCF/CA 2/9, worst of the defensemen, still a work in progress.

There is talent on this team, but it's going to take another year to jell.
But as long as goalies lay out of their heads, this team has a chance.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Happy to wake up to such boxscore. Looking forward to watching the game later, especially Hartman and the Nolan Patrick line

Reactions: Alex K

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The only reason Gudas would be considered for that is because his expectations are so much lower than everyone else’s so meeting them is easy, but there absolutely no way he’s been our best defensemen this year. And I say that as a Gudas fan who doesn’t want him traded and, depending on what happens next year, I might possibly even want him re-signed.

Sanheim and Ghost should be easily ahead and Provorov should still be too, even in spite of his horrible first half of the year. It’s not as if Gudas is any less mistake prone than any of those three and he also doesn’t have the scoring to balance out the rough spots.

Gudas has a case because he's been the second-best defenseman on the team this year.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Gudas has a case because he's been the second-best defenseman on the team this year.
He's had a higher number of solid defensive games than any of the others and that's indisputable. I'm fine if anyone wants to dispute whether or not the award winner should be the defenseman that's the best at defense. If you want to go Norris Trophy rules I'm not some old-school stubborn stickler about that. It's pretty close to a coin flip for me, but I liked Gudas' steadying influence in a year like this one and give it to him by a :eek::eek::eek::eek: hair.

Reactions: Rebels57

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Awesome game! Provy is in his 1D form again! Myers is absolutely belongs in the NHL, what a stud! Hartman, oh boy, what a hit that was! Of course, we saw 9 minutes of Amac and it cost us a GA, still it was a great game.
P.S. I hope Homer doesn't think that it's a good reason to keep Gordon.

Reactions: Stizzle

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I remember not long ago it was a presumption, a foregone conclusion of many that all of Ghost, Provorov, Myers, Sanheim could not possibly “hit” to their potential. Why? Just because. Things like that just don’t happen; prospects are reduced to percentage chances and not individual talents. We needed to trade one or other valuable pieces for a veteran top 4 defenseman.

Well.....uhhh....think again.

Yet, we have Fletcher last week even lamenting a top 4 veteran defenseman who in all likelihood is inferior to that quartet. Gudas is a helluva 4/5 veteran anyway. Let these horses develop in max usage, and it’s going to be a f***ing wild ride. They’re good now. They are still oozing potential.

Also, as Treasurer of the WHy wE no GEt FIrsT rouND PIck Club, Hartman was pretty f***ing good last night. He’s known for his streakiness, but for that game it was a welcome sight to see someone with piss and vinegar who can actually skate and make an impact with and without the puck at ES. Definitely injected new life into the 3rd line. We’ll see going forward, but I’m eager to see more at least.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Also, as Treasurer of the WHy wE no GEt FIrsT rouND PIck Club, Hartman was pretty ****ing good last night. He’s known for his streakiness, but for that game it was a welcome sight to see someone with piss and vinegar who can actually skate and make an impact with and without the puck at ES. Definitely injected new life into the 3rd line. We’ll see going forward, but I’m eager to see more at least.

How much of a positive he turns out to be is still going to be tied largely to usage and deployment (and not overpaying him). As long as you don't take the energy to be a sign he needs 17 Mins/night, he can be valuable in that 3/4 swing role.

What I wanted to see were signs that he could be a carried entry focal point on the bottom lines in a different system. I did, so I'm happy.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
How much of a positive he turns out to be is still going to be tied largely to usage and deployment (and not overpaying him). As long as you don't take the energy to be a sign he needs 17 Mins/night, he can be valuable in that 3/4 swing role.

What I wanted to see were signs that he could be a carried entry focal point on the bottom lines in a different system. I did, so I'm happy.

That shift where he skated a wide half-circle in the offensive zone and created a decent scoring chance was damn exciting. We haven't had a bottom sixer with that kind of agility since ... Eric Wellwood?

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad