OT: 62nd Obsequious Banter Thread: Reverse Michal Handzus

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
How about a different charging cable, or try the one you've been using on another device to verify it works properly?
Yeah I tried a different cable. No luck. The charging cable works fine. Had it up and running last night.

Going to see if I can try to run it through an hdmi cable and see if I can mess with some settings.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I’m about due for a new laptop anyway. Any (affordable) suggestions? I don’t need anything fancy. Just something that runs well streaming video so I can cut up some Hakstol gifs.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I’m about due for a new laptop anyway. Any (affordable) suggestions? I don’t need anything fancy. Just something that runs well streaming video so I can cut up some Hakstol gifs.

I swear by Clevo/Sagers. They come from individual builders rather than a big box store. I can attest to lpc-digital.com and xoticpc.com being excellent. They're generally great value.

If you're looking for a stock OEM laptop, most places suggest something like the HP Envy line or for super budget options, an ASUS VivoBook E403NA. Super portable suggestions usually focus on something like the ASUS ZenBook UX330UA.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
So my laptop won’t “wake up” from hibernation when I power on. Tried a hard restart and still have a black screen. This has been going on for a couple weeks now, but it eventually turns on if I unplug it (sometimes after several tries). Today nothing is working. Any suggestions?
Take the battery out, have the charger in, try to turn it on. Your battery might be shot.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So I was able to see my desktop via the hdmi. I played around with the battery settings. Made sure all windows updates were installed and drivers as well. Restarted and no help. PC itself is fine but I get nothing on the screen. A little google search and it seems like I’m on island here.

Anything in the display settings that could be causing it because I can access them now. Should I try a PC restart as a last resort? I’m most likely getting a new laptop anyway but would like to transfer some files.
Buy a desktop unless you actually need a laptop.
Yeah I kinda need a laptop.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
So I was able to see my desktop via the hdmi. I played around with the battery settings. Made sure all windows updates were installed and drivers as well. Restarted and no help. PC itself is fine but I get nothing on the screen. A little google search and it seems like I’m on island here.

Anything in the display settings that could be causing it because I can access them now. Should I try a PC restart as a last resort? I’m most likely getting a new laptop anyway but would like to transfer some files.

When it was stuck in Hibernate, did the hard drive fire up? The reason I'm asking is that there was a specific bug a little while back where some laptops reset the default display to a secondary monitor. Usually the keyboard schortcut is something like Function + F7, but it should be easy to find with the model. Hit it a couple of times, not just once.

Did you update to W10 semi-recently? Also sounds a little like this: How to solve Hibernation/Sleep issue after upgrading to Windows 10 ? | Official Support | ASUS USA. We had that issue with some of our corporate laptops.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

Yeah I kinda need a laptop.

Did you check for a bios update? You would load that into a thumb drive and update on boot

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If it's a Lenovo, there are sometimes little reset buttons on the bottom of the chassis where you use a pin to hold down the button for 30 seconds with the external battery disconnected and off AC power.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
While we are on the subject...i have no plans to ever get a touch screen laptop or desktop. I think the concept is stupid and i would never use it. The Microsoft Surface is a nice device, i deploy them for people in my company frequently, but i just think it is clunky and pc OS really aren't made for touch screen.

Reactions: Chinatown88

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
When it was stuck in Hibernate, did the hard drive fire up? The reason I'm asking is that there was a specific bug a little while back where some laptops reset the default display to a secondary monitor. Usually the keyboard schortcut is something like Function + F7, but it should be easy to find with the model. Hit it a couple of times, not just once.

Did you update to W10 semi-recently? Also sounds a little like this: How to solve Hibernation/Sleep issue after upgrading to Windows 10 ? | Official Support | ASUS USA. We had that issue with some of our corporate laptops.
FN+F7 didn't work, but Win + P brought up the secondary screen options. None fixed the issue. I tried that last night and thought that may have been the issue as well.
Did you check for a bios update? You would load that into a thumb drive and update on boot
Looking into this now. Might be a little over my head.
Oh man Flyguy with tech issues. Hopefully HF Flyers Tech Support can resolve this situation.
@FLYguy3911 Any chance we can get the exact model of your laptop?
Toshiba Satellite c75D-C AKA POS :laugh:
If it's a Lenovo, there are sometimes little reset buttons on the bottom of the chassis where you use a pin to hold down the button for 30 seconds with the external battery disconnected and off AC power.
No external reset button on this model.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Sad computer things.

Have you checked Event Viewer for any recent related Errors?

If you haven’t used Event Viewer before, you will have a ton of Errors logged. That’s completely normal. Try to limit it to the last 24ish hours, assuming this happened last night.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Maybe it's the Fast Startup mode that's causing the issue?

1. Go to Search, type power options and click on Power Options from search results
  2. On the left side of the window click on Choose what the power button does
  3. If needed, click on Change settings that are currently unavailable, under Define power buttons and turn on password protection
  4. From the enabled options under Shutdown settings section, uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) checkbox to disable Hybrid Shutdown.
  5. Click Save changes button to save the modified settings.
  6. Close Power Options window when done.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
If you see the computer POST then when windows boots it goes black that's a pretty big sign sonething jn windows is corrupted related to your display. Back up everything when using your hdmi cable and then do a fresh install with recovery disk/usb drive.

If not, I'm out of ideas

Reactions: Chinatown88

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
When the PC boots do you see anything before windows tries to start or is it black the whole way?
Nothing on the computer itself. When I plug into HDMI everything is normal. Boot up and everything.

Have you checked Event Viewer for any recent related Errors?

If you haven’t used a Event Viewer before, you will have a ton of Errors logged. That’s completely normal. Try to limit it to the last 24ish hours, assuming this happened last night.
What should I look for specifically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad