GDT: #62 - Sabres vs. Leafs at 7 PM ET on MSG-B and WGR

member 300185

Since you're not going to do the work yourself, I'll help - the Leafs are bottom five in both shot attempts allowed per 60 and scoring chances allowed per 60, in the entire NHL, according to NST. I guess you guys have a good goalie, and a tremendously porous defense.
Defence is a team game, not 2 guys who stand on the blue line. 7th is goals against.

member 300185

The 6th best D or the 6th fewest GA? What do their stats suggest about their propensity for dangerous shots, and shot attempts in general? Because I haven't seen the Sabres get looks like they've gotten tonight in a long time.
Perhaps urgency is the answer. Getting near the end. And the Leafs are notorious poor starters. Dont really get going until the 2nd period.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
No, because the contract would be bad for us two-fold. One, it's more than we can afford, and two it goes too far into his career. He likely isn't producing the last 2 years of it. If we can get Skinner with only 6 years for that price I'd be happy with that instead. Think about it we gave up a mid 2nd and 3rd for our guy. They gave a top prospect and a 1st. Skinner every time for me. Plus he nets more goals, which is what we need for Jack.
Skinner trade was the exception lots of reasons that happened to get that trade without giving nothing back.Also most contracts longterm hurt at the end.Skinner is getting 8 years guaranteed.Most stars sre getting 7 or 8.i will gladly swallow last 2 years of a Stone contract if we win a cup but again that just me

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Defence is a team game, not 2 guys who stand on the blue line. 7th is goals against.
Sure but if you're allowing far more shots on goals and scoring chances than most teams in the league, and rank bottom 5 in those stats, I'm not going to believe that you have a good defense.

I still really like the Leafs' roster and think you guys can win a cup starting this year. You have an offense that can mask those deficiencies, like Pittsburgh's did for a few years. We have a LOT of work to do to be able to even compete.

member 300185

Sure but if you're allowing far more shots on goals and scoring chances than most teams in the league, and rank bottom 5 in those stats, I'm not going to believe that you have a good defense.

I still really like the Leafs' roster and think you guys can win a cup starting this year. You have an offense that can mask those deficiencies, like Pittsburgh's did for a few years. We have a LOT of work to do to be able to even compete.
Depends on where the shots are coming from. The Leafs are excellent at keeping the shots to the outside for the most part. They struggle clearing their zone. Far too many icings.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I get it. And to be honest, I am not a Babcock fan. He makes huge mistakes that cost us about 5 losses since January.
You team is loaded on offence and solid D. Housley has to go. This team should by rights be top 7 in the league. He wasted his time out when he should of held on to it and give your second PP the first 40 seconds. He really needed it at the end of the game.

the one thing Housley did right was call the timeout when he did. Our #1 PP was gassed and we had a 5 on 3. We had to get a goal, which we did. Keeping the #1 PP out was absolutely the correct move

Reactions: mtshapcott

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I appreciate the compliments, but this team can’t seem to win 2 games in a row, let alone putting together more games than that. The problems is a combination of what makes a team.
Watched the game as a leaf fan. Coach sends the wrong message when he pulled the goalie the way he did. The goals weren't his fault. The team needs to allow players to battle back if they are playing ok. If the coach panics too early, the rest of the team will. Even during the power play, the team played without enough patience. Too many low probability outside shots. When the team move the puck into the high danger zone, they were really dangerous. My 2 cents

Reactions: NovaLeaf

member 300185

the one thing Housley did right was call the timeout when he did. Our #1 PP was gassed and we had a 5 on 3. We had to get a goal, which we did. Keeping the #1 PP out was absolutely the correct move
You see and thats where the problem is. Housley takes away confidence from 5 other guys when he does that. Your second PP might surprise you. But now, as an ex player, I guarantee the guys having a beer after the game are bitching about that exact thing. Housley has to have confidence and show it to the rest of his team, not just 5 guys. He should have given the 5-3 to the second PP line, save the time out and put them back out on the second half of the PP.

member 300185

If we were really gonna have a playoff push we needed to get someone at RW for Eichel's line. With all the 'in the hunt' teams, I'm surprised none of them hockey trade guys who just ain't getting it going this season. Sure, it's tough on those guys to move, but they make good money, and it could help their careers.
Most of us up here were saying the same thing. Very surprised with how cheap some of the rentals went for. Sure, 3 or 4 guys got a lot but most were fairly cheap this year. Mostly pics and prospects got a lot of rentals.

member 300185

Well, off for the night. I hope I didnt offend anyone here. My wife is from Buffalo. She worked as a nurse at the hospital. So I feel a connection. Plus I was a huge Lafontaine fan. Night all.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Not sure how you can blame a coach when we literally have 3 good forwards and 2 good defenceman on this entire roster. His hands are tied, there’s no easy way to coach this. It’s no different then Colorado.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Not sure how you can blame a coach when we literally have 3 good forwards and 2 good defenceman on this entire roster. His hands are tied, there’s no easy way to coach this. It’s no different then Colorado.

Ehh every time they bring reinforcements up Housley just rolls Sobotka and co. anyway...its on all of them

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Do you know who would be perfect behind your bench....JQ.
If Hutton wasn't leaky I'd be behind this. Q eliminates the forecheck with his mobile/puckhandling G, while his D knows right where to be when he does it. It's almost unbeatable. I'd be ok with Q and Crawford brought in. Maybe I'm just living in the past, but if we bring in Q, we MUST have an active goalie(which means Leean us is out.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
If Hutton wasn't leaky I'd be behind this. Q eliminates the forecheck with his mobile/puckhandling G, while his D knows right where to be when he does it. It's almost unbeatable. I'd be ok with Q and Crawford brought in. Maybe I'm just living in the past, but if we bring in Q, we MUST have an active goalie(which means Leean us is out.

We also would need more high IQ D-men?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Watched the game as a leaf fan. Coach sends the wrong message when he pulled the goalie the way he did. The goals weren't his fault. The team needs to allow players to battle back if they are playing ok. If the coach panics too early, the rest of the team will. Even during the power play, the team played without enough patience. Too many low probability outside shots. When the team move the puck into the high danger zone, they were really dangerous. My 2 cents

That’s fair analysis for this game, but there’s a lot underneath the surface that has shown to plague the team through the year.

Reactions: Notsince67

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Toronto - not impressed at all. In fact haven't been impressed by them 38 times this season. No D, refs always helping them and lucky goaltending. It's the only reason they ever win. If there was any justice they would be 0-62 right now

With 20 games to play, Toronto has had 2 or fewer powerplays in a game 33 times this season. The all time record is 37 times, by the 1943-44 Bruins... Toronto very well could break that all time record (currently they are #3).

I'm not here to troll. I came to say good game and to compliment Eichel and Dahlin (both studs)... But Buffalo had a 5-1 PP advantage tonight and as you can see from my post above, despite a ton of skill, Toronto receives a HISTORICALLY low number of calls in their favor per game... The Leafs are the last team you should be claiming are helped by the refs.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Eichel is a treat to watch. Dahlin continues being miles better defensively than he has any business being at f***ing 18. 45 point pace rookie season Jesus that's goofy. He wins his first Norris within the next 2,3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad